Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 7:13:02 AM EDT
Does anybody know anything about an Atis semiauto shotgun?  I'm trying to figure who actually made the thing.  It looks similar to a Franchi, but I can't figure out if that is correct, and what model.

I'm trying to figure out what model Franchi it is, if indeed it is a Franchi, so I can get a parts diagram.  There is a part missing in the action, somewhere.

2guntom
454 Casull +

----------

Never mind.  I got it.  As it turns out it is a recoil operated (Franchi), not a gas operated shotgun.  There are no parts missing at all.

The moral of the story is, if you want to buy the cheap shells from Walmart, get a pump or single shot; stay away from autos.  Autos truly need shells with more than an ounce of shot powered by more than 3 dr. eq. of powder.  Semiautos work beautifully and reliably with the correct shells.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Googling around on the net tells me it is Italian, made by "Armi Atis"...once known as "Masieri" and, before that, known as "Farms". While a bit confusing, it actually looks as if Valtro imported some of their magazine fed pumps, but I can find nothing on the autoloaders. Apparently they are a reputable manufacturer in the area of Brescia, Italy. As you know, firearms making is a "cottage industry" there still. After much searching I have a suspicion they may, in fact, build the Weatherby SAS shotguns, but you can bet Weatherby is saying nothing except their guns are made in Italy.

Frustrating, I know!

Armi Atis?  No kidding?!  I was Googling about quite a bit and didn't find that.  I found a link to Kassnar, then found that Kassnar went out in '89.  Funny, that year was when Mag-Lite sued them and got $2.75 million.  Ellot Brother bought out Kassnar's Churchill line.  Then EB anounced it's "own" line of Italian-made shotguns.
www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_n12_v34/ai_8331145

On the gun it says Genova Italy, so I assumed Franchi since they are also in Genova.  I need to remember, we Americans do things a little differently than everywhere else in the world.

It was quite comical, the whole endeavor was.  I was told by the shop owner that it was returned by a customer who said "It jams".  The shop owner told me he couldn't get shells to kick out of the magazine.  As the new "on call" 'smith for the shop, this was definately an education to remember.

I was trying to figure out what part was missing that is supposed to trip the shell stop when the bolt is pulled back.  There wasn't any, and as I found out, there isn' supposed to be any.  I spent so much time looking for something that was never there that I didn't take into account what was there.

The gun is recoil operated with a rebounding barrel.  When the barrel kicks back, it trips the shell stop and allows a shell into the carrier/elevator.  If you try the Walmart el cheapo game loads, they may eject but not always, but they don't make the barrel rebound enough to trip the shell stop to let out the next round.  Superlight trap loads don't work either.  But once the powder charge is over 3dr. eq. and is pushing more than 1oz of shot, she works just as slick as anything.  

After completely disassembling the gun, I have to say I like it quite a bit.  Everything is quite sturdy, and all the parts are big; no teeny tiny easily lost or broken stuff.  The breech end of the barrel and the bolt are chromed, or at least plated with something that is slick and stout.  After the third scrub down with solvent, those parts came clean and are quite shiny.  I'm surprised due to the age and level of gook I found.  This gun is at least pre 1989 since it has no importer markings anywhere.  The grease was completed solidified.  Some of the dead little bugs I found inside were nothing like I've seen around here.  Maybe I should have had them sent off for forensic or corbon14 dating?  At least I'd have a clue to how old the gun was.

This is one of the fun aspects to 'smithing, getting to handle, fix, and research guns that I would never have come across on my own.  Thanks for the history I missed.  

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:04:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top