Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 10/28/2010 6:26:24 PM EDT
What is considered the ideal distance when zeroing for slugs?

25 yards?

50 yards?

100 yards?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2010 6:34:44 PM EDT by AR15fan]
I "zero" my bead sighted 870's for 25 meters. (Zeroing a bead sight shotgun is done by trying every slug load i can get my hands on and finding which one shoots closest to point of aim, then stocking up)

I zero my shotguns with adjustable sights for 50 meters.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:33:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan:
I "zero" my bead sighted 870's for 25 meters. (Zeroing a bead sight shotgun is done by trying every slug load i can get my hands on and finding which one shoots closest to point of aim, then stocking up)

I zero my shotguns with adjustable sights for 50 meters.

This.  I found my 870 with an 18" barrel likes the winchester super x 2.75" slugs (3.50 per box a walmart ).  

I usually start at about 25 yards and see how they are for POI vs POA.  I usually just take a knee and shoot, as I don't see the need in benching a combat shotgun with only a bead.  If it can hit where I need between  25 and 50 yards, I'm happy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:52:04 PM EDT
How tight (big or small) of a group or pattern do you guys look for with slugs at what distance?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:33:46 PM EDT
What scenario is most likely that you will need to shoot with slugs?

Would 30 to 50 feet be more realistic for tactical purposes?

When would you be more likely to be shooting at over 25 yards than short distances? Are you in a job that you may be required to shoot long distances?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 3:04:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2010 3:05:27 AM EDT by LoadedDrum]
Originally Posted By FlatFrogFlyer:
You have to make a shot beyond the distance that your shotgun/buckshot combo can create a respectable pattern
No, unless you are talking about a hostage rescue shot. With Flite Control ammo, any shotgun should still have a decent pattern inside of 50ft
When would you be more likely to be shooting at over 25 yards than short distances? Are you in a job that you may be required to shoot long distances?
Not trying to be a smartass but outdoors. FWIW, I do not have a job the requires me to shoot a gun at all

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 3:48:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LoadedDrum:
You have to make a shot beyond the distance that your shotgun/buckshot combo can create a respectable pattern
No, unless you are talking about a hostage rescue shot. With Flite Control ammo, any shotgun should still have a decent pattern inside of 50ft
Not trying to be a smartass but outdoors. FWIW, I do not have a job the requires me to shoot a gun at all

Good info here.  The new Federal buckshot loads are producing groups, not patterns, at 25yds we used to expect to see at half that distance or less with other buckshot.  The standard range for sighting in slugs in LEO shotguns is 50yds, probably because most police ranges are 50yds long.  A shotgun slug had a trajectory like a rainbow, both up and back down.  What ever range you sight your gun in at you should shoot it at ranges from 5yds to 100yds to see what the slug, or better yet the wad, is doing.  At close ranges the wad, especially the Federal TRU Ball slug, has enough energy to cause a serious injury and usually just enough off-set to hit a "hostage" in the head at short ranges.

BTW, clover-leaf groups are not uncommon with good slugs and sights at 50yds or further.

Rob

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:24:41 AM EDT

paraphrasing from the OPM here. When the range exceeds that at which all the pellets of 00 Buck will stay on the target, or when greater penetration is needed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:20:50 AM EDT
I guess I should have phrased it, "What is YOUR (the OP) definition of tactical?" When I see the word "Tactical" I think of use for bad guys, not animals with more than two legs.

Sighting in should be done at the most likely distances that you will encounter in the use of the gun. Now if you're going to use it for hunting and vermin outdoors then the ranges closer to 100 yards makes sense, but if it's a true "Home Defense" / Tactical gun then wouldn't it be more likely to encounter distances of 20 yards and under?

The reason I asked the question about the job is if you worked in security / LE then you may need the ranges greater than home defense ranges.

Most home owners don't usually have legal grounds to shoot at a bad guy at ranges that the OP stated so that would leave vermin and hunting as reasons for those ranges.

In the real world when would the average person have the reason to shoot at ranges over 25 yards for personal defense and would these scenarios be more likely than defending against a break in? That's why I was leaning toward the shorter ranges for sighting in a gun.

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass, just trying to narrow down the use of the gun the OP had in mind.
Top Top