Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2002 3:55:27 AM EDT
I have heard of the various stages of the assualt weapons ban legislation.  Can someone give me a summary of which years what happened and what became illegal?

i.e., I have a 'Preban' Colt Lightweight Sporter but it has a Sear Block and No Bayo Lug.  I want to put a collapsable stock on it but some say illegal and other say it's OK.  

Where can I find the simple english on this?

[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#1]
'89 was the import restriction.  Not sure about 91, but 94 was of course the semi auto AW ban, bradey bill, or Crime bill. Verify your Colt's serial # and if it was manufactured prior to teh 94 legislation you can put the tele-stock on it.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
This law is stupid, how does a flash hider and a tele stock or bayonet lug make the gun an assult rifle and illegal, but take them off and your just fine. Even thought the actual gun, the part the SHOOTS stuff is the same. Stupid politians
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This law is stupid, how does a flash hider and a tele stock or bayonet lug make the gun an assult rifle and illegal, but take them off and your just fine. Even thought the actual gun, the part the SHOOTS stuff is the same. Stupid politians

You're preaching to the chior brother
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Me agrees from the bottom of the heart ;)
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, the collapsible buttstock part is to keep these guns out of the hands of children (i.e. the collapsible stock allows them to more easily shoulder the weapon).  The flash suppressor/hider part was designed to curb the rash of shootings of deaf people(you've got to give them some chance to see you shooting at them).  And the bayonet lug part prevents you from turning your rifle into an even deadlier spear(we all know that a spear has both greater range and increased lethality over a rifle cartridge).

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My thoughts too. You can still buy pre-ban, so what did they accomplish.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
If somebodys shooting at you, and you even see the flash, your done anyway. Not like you can do some matrix style and move.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top