Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2011 9:23:11 AM EDT
I went to my local Gun Shop and found two M1As on their used rifle racks; one was a Fed Ord M1A and the other one was an Armscorp M25/M1A rifle. I gave the Armscorp one a lookover and noticed the receiver was one of the M21 type receivers with the rear lug... I am definitely not an expert on these rifles and the rifle looks very good externally, albeit the FH has a little side-to-side play.

Sorry, no pics of the rifle in question; Yeah, I know the mantra TIUWOPs and all that. Considering dropping the coin on it (I was gonna trade my MAK90 and an M1 carbine for it, but I smacked myself in the head and decided to save up for it instead )

Just want to see what the Hive thinks of the Philipine-made ARMSCORP M1As; AFAIK, we sold much of the machinery to make M14s to the Philipine Govt once we switched to the M16. Polytech M14S rifles are far and few in between and an LRB receiver build is way out of my budget; I could go for an SA, but I would prefer this one because it has the rear lug (which in my uneducated opinion is better for a DMR build).
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Armscorp is a different company than ARMSCOR.  Armscorp M14 type receivers were made in the USA.  I have a non-lugged receiver and it is the foundation of a great rifle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Armscorp is a different company than ARMSCOR.  Armscorp M14 type receivers were made in the USA.  I have a non-lugged receiver and it is the foundation of a great rifle.

Good; so I am on the right track...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just want to see what the Hive thinks of the Philipine-made ARMSCORP M1As; AFAIK, we sold much of the machinery to make M14s to the Philipine Govt once we switched to the M16. Polytech M14S rifles are far and few in between

Some history "nazi" level setting is in order:

1) Armscorp of America / Armscorp USA / JRM - Armscorp receivers were manufactured in Maryland, USA.  The Armscorp M14 receiver production ceased in March 2008.

2) The Philippine government has never manufactured M14 type rifles.

3) In the late 1960s, the Government of Taiwan purchased some of the U. S. government owned Harrington & Richardson Arms operated M14 project machinery.  The Government of Taiwan received a complete set of inspection gages and machine tool fixtures from the U. S. government Springfield Armory.  A complete M14 technical data package was also supplied to the Taiwanese government.  The Government of Taiwan manufactured its M14, the Type 57, from 1969 until at least 1980.  Some, if not all, of the T57 rifles were manufactured at the 60th Arsenal in Kaoshiung, Taiwan.

4) The Poly Technologies and Norinco M14 type rifles have been manufactured at State Arsenal 356, Kunming, Yunnan, People's Republic of China on Chinese government owned equipment.  Production of receivers and parts ran from no later than 1965 to at least 1994.  Some M305 (Chinese M14) stocks and operating rods were made in 2009 to complete assembly for the last batch exported to Canada.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just want to see what the Hive thinks of the Philipine-made ARMSCORP M1As; AFAIK, we sold much of the machinery to make M14s to the Philipine Govt once we switched to the M16. Polytech M14S rifles are far and few in between

Some history "nazi" level setting is in order:

1) Armscorp of America / Armscorp USA / JRM - Armscorp receivers were manufactured in Maryland, USA.  The Armscorp M14 receiver production ceased in March 2008.

3) In the late 1960s, the Government of Taiwan purchased some of the U. S. government owned Harrington & Richardson Arms operated M14 project machinery.  The Government of Taiwan received a complete set of inspection gages and machine tool fixtures from the U. S. government Springfield Armory.  A complete M14 technical data package was also supplied to the Taiwanese government.  The Government of Taiwan manufactured its M14, the Type 57, from 1969 until at least 1980.  Some, if not all, of the T57 rifles were manufactured at the 60th Arsenal in Kaoshiung, Taiwan.

4) The Poly Technologies and Norinco M14 type rifles have been manufactured at State Arsenal 356, Kunming, Yunnan, People's Republic of China on Chinese government owned equipment.  Production of receivers and parts ran from no later than 1965 to at least 1994.  Some M305 (Chinese M14) stocks and operating rods were made in 2009 to complete assembly for the last batch exported to Canada.

Damn you win! I got me some education today!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just want to see what the Hive thinks of the Philippine-made ARMSCORP M1As; AFAIK, we sold much of the machinery to make M14s to the Philippine Govt once we switched to the M16. Polytech M14S rifles are far and few in between

Some history "Nazi" level setting is in order:

Damn you win! I got me some education today!

Wow, I think I got schooled. Thanks for the history lesson. Yet another reason for me to get this rifle. I'm Foing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If you go back to the shop, check the Fed Ord for serial number and whether or not it has any GI parts.  Please.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#7]
i had a fed ord reciever with a low seriel number. it was to soft and it blew up on me. fed ord built in ca. stay away from that manufacture.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you go back to the shop, check the Fed Ord for serial number and whether or not it has any GI parts.  Please.

Already did; low SN; USGI parts all over. I am staying away from it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It COULD be a good buy if priced low enough. As a parts kit, it might be a good buy (after trashing the receiver).
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It COULD be a good buy if priced low enough. As a parts kit, it might be a good buy (after trashing the receiver).

Well, the Nat ord. rifle with a cheap scope and mount is selling for $1300; the Armscorp one is 2 bills higher...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:59:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, is it a National Ordnance or a Federal Ordnance?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I have several friends that have service rifles built on Armscorp receivers,

all shoot well, no issues,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top