Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2007 7:28:33 AM EDT
I posted this on the tagged post but I need to make this decision by tonight or my department wont pay for the items so I'm in a bit of a hurry.

OK, I'm really having a problem deciding between Steel and Ceramic plates. I don't care about the price difference just the difference in performance. With Steel plates there is splatter to worry about and Ceramic more blunt force trauma? Barring price what would you guys recommend? I'm looking at the Kejo Steel or ceramic stand alone level III plates.

Thanks!

Riese
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I never knew departments would pay for plates, I must be outta the loop.

Steel is more rugged and can be used if they have already taken hits.  More of a survivalist's plate and normally cost less.
Ceramics once shot are useless, but there no splatter as you mentioned.  They need to be babied or they cover will wear off and they will fray.

I don't think there is a wrong answer, especially if you aren't paying for them lol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Steel is heavier but can take multiple hits in the same area without failing. Ceramic, two or more shots in the same area and there is a chance it could "could" fail. Im not saying ceramic will fail, but it could.

Steel is my choice.
Reference this for ceramic failure. Ceramic armor failure

See 3.3 for details.

ETA: Note the study is not yet complete but the models show multi-impact in same area yields decreased protective value.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#3]
USGI uses cermaic, and the plates I were given were used extensivley.  Although never shot, my plates were put through the grinder. If you are going to be wearing these with any type of fighting load, do yourself a favor and get the ceramic, the change in weight is worth it.  I never had any fraying, and after 8 months of hard use only had slight "dings" on the corners.

Link Posted: 9/23/2007 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Steel will last forever until shot, but good luck to the people standing next to you if you are shot at.

For this reason, I would not recommend steel if you work as a team (mil, police etc.)

Ceramic will NOT last forever if actually used, (if you run and gun, go prone etc, eventually you will crack the plates)

Hard use ceramic plates should be x-rayed yearly.

That said, they capture the bullet instead of splattering it or riccocheting it for your buddies.

The poly plates are kinda the best of both worlds, but thick.

Thats pretty much it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The poly plates are kinda the best of both worlds, but thick.

However, HDPE (high density polyethylene) plates will not stop any AP or improved penetration rounds.  The literature on the plates I sell specifically references that.

TimW
Phoenix
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Screw steel plates they are outdated, heavy, and just not a viable option in my opinion.

Go with Level III/IV SAPI overtop of BALCS in a carrier like the CIRAS that accepts both.  BALCS is around $750.00 so it isn't cheap, but the beauty of a carrier is you can get the SAPI ceramic plates and later on the BALCS if you can't do both in one shot.  

For training purposes you'll want to purchase dummy plate inserts that can be found of the same dimensions and similiar weight.  All you have to do with Ceramic is take good care of them when not in use, they are much more ruggid than people give them credit for, and for the price of them lately are pretty reasonable.  

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually steel plates like the DBT mars 4mm are state of the art and very light, just as light as ceramic.

They just bounce bullets.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#8]
To limit splash/spall from steel plates, place several sheets of kevlar in front of the plate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#9]
skipping leads a bitch
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Get ceramic.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I like steel because of its ability to take multiple hits.  My everyday life and work habits don't expose me to being shot at, so my plates are for when the SHTF.  In this scenario, weight is not a real issue.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Trojan Plates

Stand Alone steel operator cut

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#13]
That doesn't seem like a bad price on those Trojan plates..
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I think I may just go with those. Will the "rubber coating" be enough for splatter protection?

Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#16]

In this scenario, weight is not a real issue.

Never true
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:24:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think I may just go with those. Will the "rubber coating" be enough for splatter protection?

Quoted:

I talked with the customer service rep and he called the company and they stated that it would help.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I just checked the website. They were $130 each, now there $185!  I knew I should have got them a month ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top