Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2002 10:06:23 AM EDT
Thinking of ordering one.  Pros and cons from owners appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Pro; I've had one on order since June.

Con; I've had one on order since June!
    (Will they ever deliver?)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#2]
No one has one yet, so no thoughts to share.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
There was a review by "cruffler.com(?)" and much discussion occurred here after that topic was posted.  (You might want to do a search.)

The review and most of the comments were very positive.

Shipping is not due to start until February.

(Since being founded in the 1950's ArmaLite has a long history of using strong, light-weight composites and other similar materials.  Probably began because their original owner was Fairchild Engine and Air Plane Company - ArmaLite was actually a 'division' for years.)

My $.01 - put it on your list - it's on mine !
(And I know it's on LARRYG's)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Sukebe & CAMPYBOB nailed the cons right on.

I still think its an interesting rifle and also have had one on order since early last summer.
If it shoots every time I pull the trigger and is reasonably accurate I will be happy.
If there are any problems I have confidence that Armalite will do whatever it takes to make it right.

I doubt I will be relying on it as a battlefield weapon though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My $.01 - put it on your list - it's on mine !
(And I know it's on LARRYG's)

You got that right!  Didn't they change the buttstock to one that is held in place by screws as opposed to the original 180B design of glue?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw ArmaLite's newest ad in the Shotgun News and they have raised the suggested retail to $650. Up from, what was it, $585? And they still haven't started shipping yet?  

(Since being founded in the 1950's ArmaLite has a long history of using strong, light-weight composites and other similar materials. Probably began because their original owner was Fairchild Engine and Air Plane Company - ArmaLite was actually a 'division' for years.)

The current ArmaLite has absolutely nothing except the name in common with the original ArmaLite. They are two completely different companies.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll bet the price goes up to around $700. Springfield did the same thing when they first brought out their 1911 back in the early 80's.  The first price shown was around $225 but by the time it came out it had gone up quite a bit.  I think they got a lot more orders in than they expected and figured they could make more.  Supply and Demand.  I would have a hard time spending much more than 600 on one when Sterlings can still be had for around 800 or less.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

(Since being founded in the 1950's ArmaLite has a long history of using strong, light-weight composites and other similar materials. Probably began because their original owner was Fairchild Engine and Air Plane Company - ArmaLite was actually a 'division' for years.)

The current ArmaLite has absolutely nothing except the name in common with the original ArmaLite. They are two completely different companies.

Sorry.

Edited to remove some idiocy (mine).
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, here's the deal.  All you guys call Armalite and cancel your orders.  When the price comes back down, I'LL order one and let you know what I think.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I sure didn't mean it as a flame though I guess I should have stated that.

But as there was no reference to differentiate between the two,

And,

A number of people seem to think the two companies are the same,

I assumed, (I know, I know...never assume)

Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I sure didn't mean it as a flame though I guess I should have stated that.

But as there was no reference to differentiate between the two,

And,

A number of people seem to think the two companies are the same,

I assumed, (I know, I know...never assume)

Sorry.

I was siting here trying to remember how many different "ArmaLite" companies there were - and can't !  I think four counting the original and current but I'm not sure.

My "Since being founded......" was not exactly a clear beginning either.

Sorry.

P.S.  I think I've had my AR-180B on order since 2/01.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Whew...Glad we got that straightend out.

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I like the ArmaLite name.  They make damned good AR's.  So I wouldn't mind putting one on my list either.  But the list is getting pretty long!  

But CampyBob's comment that "a $600 rifle with a glued in buttstock (not sevicable by the owner) and a plastic lower receiver holds very little interest for me." DOES negatively influence me to a degree.  

ARnSC
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
May get one (I like ArmaLite products), but will not be an early-adopter.  Someone else can take that leap of faith.  Besides, I just bought an AR-10 and am cash-poor.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Had one on order for 8 months...  E-Mail from Armalite, today, says ; "March"...    maybe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top