Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2004 7:57:09 PM EST
So after reading what other people had done to remove their muzzle break off their Century Arms R1A1, I tried to do the same thing with mine. Most had posted that it was just an exercise of dremmeling the break in half with two cuts, making sure to just cut a groove into the portion that was over the barrel. Then it's just a hit of a hammer and chisel and the break comes apart. Unfortunately, I cut too deep on one side and cut a slot over the threading and completely into the barrel.

So, my question is.. do I re-barrel or could a flash hider over it work? I don't mind the junky finish job.. I can always fix that later. I'm more concerned with the cut affecting bullet trajectory or even causing a dangerous mishap when firing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/longhornar/oops.jpg
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:16:41 AM EST
How deep is that cut? The picture doesn't look so bad. I'd just screw on a flash hider and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:25:13 AM EST
What is that barrel...?

It looks like it has right-hand threads.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:23:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 6:24:47 AM EST by LonghornAR]
Cliffy,
The cut actually goes up to the crown and all the way thru to the bore. You can't see it in the picture due to the angle, but it's a pretty deep cut.

Quarterbore,
Not exactly sure what the manufacture the barrel is, but it's definitely a right-hand thread. Not sure how it got there but then again, it is a R1A1.. nothing says Frankengun more than Century Arms.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:30:57 AM EST
If barrel length allows it I personally would cut about an inch off and rethread/recrown. A rebarrel is not needed if your barrel length allows a shorter length.

There's never an excuse to half-ass anything.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:47:35 AM EST
Its down to the bore! Holy crap! I agree that cutting the fton inch off the barrel is the correct way to fix this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:26:16 AM EST
Yea, that's pretty much what I figured. I'm probably going to replace the barrel in that case then. I could recycle the part by cutting and re-threading, but I always wanted to put a stainless on it anyways. Maybe I should've "mishap"ed the barrel sooner..
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:22:05 AM EST
BTW, I wasn't implying you were half assing anything. It was just a blanket statement

Anyway, you might want to consider which FH you are going to be using before you rethread. I probably would've went with a Vortex on mine after the sunset if it weren't for those pesky lefthand threads
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:49:47 PM EST
Oh, I'm sure I half-assed it otherwise I wouldn't be asking.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:15:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 10:16:24 AM EST by rynich]
If your are going to pitch the barrel I will take it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:41:08 AM EST
Metric barrels have a 9/16-24 left hand thread. Inch pattern guns, Brit., Aussie., and Canadian have 9/16-24 right hand. All Century sporters I have seen are built on British kits.
Top Top