Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/14/2004 4:46:54 PM EST
My buddy and I were at the Reno Hilton Gunshow today and we found these mags. Was told they are Argentine manufacture made to USGI specs. They came in a plastic bag and look barely used if used at all.

The small one is a 20 rounder the larger is a 30, which I have never seen before.

My friend payed $50 for 3 of them.

Has anyone else tried/heard of these?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:55:44 PM EST
No Sir, I haven't seen or heard of them before but sure I am interested in how they run.

Keith
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:59:45 PM EST
We compared them to USGI and the lips and everything else looks good.

Range report next weekend hopefully,

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:02:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By Keith1:
No Sir, I haven't seen or heard of them before but sure I am interested in how they run.

Keith

Diddo.....

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:02:18 PM EST
Ive seen them before in pictures from that areas conflicts but never in person.

That follower doesnt exactly fill me with confidence but otherwise it looks veeeery interesting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:08:07 PM EST
Sarge, I believe they are for this rifle

FN 1949 semi-auto contract rifle. Used by the Argentine Navy, this is a very rare model. Although the Belgium Fabrique Nationale Modele 49 was offered in many calibers and used in many European and South American countries and Egypt, this is the only version in .308 caliber with a Detachable 20Rd magazine. These rifles are very rare and have never been offered for sale anywhere before now. A small quantity was manufactured and we have been after them for 20 years...
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:03:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/15/2004 6:22:57 AM EST by Noname]

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

www.southernohiogun.com/images/SLG-FN49308.2.jpg

FN 1949 semi-auto contract rifle. Used by the Argentine Navy, this is a very rare model. Although the Belgium Fabrique Nationale Modele 49 was offered in many calibers and used in many European and South American countries and Egypt, this is the only version in .308 caliber with a Detachable 20Rd magazine. These rifles are very rare and have never been offered for sale anywhere before now. A small quantity was manufactured and we have been after them for 20 years...

(The mags in Sgtar15's post are not for 7.62 NATO M49's.-----added to clarify)

I've worked on a few SAFN 7.62 M49's and the mag's were unique to that gun. They were closer to a FAL mag in design than a M14 mag. (but still would not interchange with FAL mag)

Also Note----SOG's statement is not accurate. These guns were imported in the mid 1990's by a company called "Aztec International". The mags were cut down to 10 rounds and the muzzle nuts were arc welded (!!!) in place.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:22:58 AM EST

Well, they fit and cycle just fine.

Range report next weekend.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:24:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By Noname:

I've worked on a few SAFN 7.62 M49's and the mag's were unique to that gun. They were closer to a FAL mag in design than a M14 mag. (but still would not interchange with FAL mag)

So the mags pictured are or are not for the M49....
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:31:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 12:28:13 AM EST by Noname]

Originally Posted By Kaliburz:

So the mags pictured are or are not for the M49....

The mags in Sgtar15's post/pic's are for M14's.

To clarify----

Argy SAFN M49's were originally mfg'ed in 7.65 Mauser with a semi-fixed 10r mag. They were converted in the 1960's to 7.62 NATO. "Reportedly" FN mfg'ed the conversion kit. Due to the design of the receiver the mags were unique to this gun and are very rare. SARCO has some. They are not the same as M14 or FAL mags.

The mags in Sgtar15's pic's are M14 mags of unknown (at this time) origin. I looked at them at the gunshow also. Thought they looked OK...
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:21:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By Noname:
The mags in Sgtar15's pic's are M14 mags of unknown (at this time) origin. I looked at them at the gunshow also. Thought they looked OK...

All I know is what the guy told me...that they are Argentine. There are no markings what so ever on them. No even on the floor plates.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:18:23 AM EST
They do look well made.......
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:31:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/15/2004 1:33:31 PM EST by Sukebe]
I have one. The spring is wrong and very different from USGI M14 springs. They are more like M16 Mag. springs. I found that to be a serious problem so I changed it out to a G.I. spring. The steel may not be as hard as USGI. I noticed that the feed lips on mine began to spread under tension. Or perhaps they came a little too wide from the manufacturer. Regardless, some tweeking with needle nose plyers seemed to remedy the problem and after those Mods., it functions fine.
Still, I'll be staying away from them in the future.
As to the origin, I've read that they originated in several different places. China, Mexico, Argentina, Italy, Canada, Greece, The Phillipines. Nobody seems to know for sure. I have never seen one with a "made in" sticker on it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:05:42 PM EST
They could be for a BM59.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:29:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By MisterPX:
They could be for a BM59.

Negatory.

BM59 mags are unique also and don't interchange with M14 mags.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:35:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:17:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
I want a 30

They have 30's out there, but not quality.... (if those are quality). They are of the cheaper steel.....and stamped

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:14:55 PM EST
Kind of strange why Argentina would make an M14 mag. I don't recall them using them. I know Taiwan did, but that's all I know for military manufactureres.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:00:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
I want a 30 well-made-durable BETA MAG- and a magic barrel that can take 100rds of 308 rapid fire.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:49:13 PM EST
I saw "Argentine" M-14 mags at a gunshow too. The bodies looked identical. I will buy some next time and maybe some new springs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:37:46 PM EST
These magazines are being marketed by several different places. Nobody seems to know where they really came from.

At a recent gun show in Phoenix, I saw these magazines for sale from $15-$20. One guy had them advertised as new Norinco, one had them marked as Argentinian, one guy told me they were made by an undisclosed USGI contractor, and one guy went so far as to tell me they are British military surplus!

I bought a 30-rounder just to see if it'll work. It looks cool in the gun. If it turns out to actaully work I'll get a couple more and see if they can be made to fit my AR-10.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:15:27 PM EST
Interesting..... well, odds are, if I find some at a local show, it will be higher then that price.... around here, gun shows mean more cost for most items..... cheap show....

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:38:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 1:41:47 AM EST by Different]

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
I have one. The spring is wrong and very different from USGI M14 springs. They are more like M16 Mag. springs. I found that to be a serious problem so I changed it out to a G.I. spring. The steel may not be as hard as USGI. I noticed that the feed lips on mine began to spread under tension. Or perhaps they came a little too wide from the manufacturer. Regardless, some tweeking with needle nose plyers seemed to remedy the problem and after those Mods., it functions fine.
Still, I'll be staying away from them in the future.
As to the origin, I've read that they originated in several different places. China, Mexico, Argentina, Italy, Canada, Greece, The Phillipines. Nobody seems to know for sure. I have never seen one with a "made in" sticker on it.

What Sukebe said. And of course, they were all made prior to 09/13/94. But in twenty-eight days new twenty round magazines can be manufactured.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:38:22 AM EST

And of course, they were all made prior to 09/13/94.

My gut was kinda telling me the same thing...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:40:07 PM EST
I bet they are Norinco made and imported from Argentina and other countries to get around the ban on Norinco products being sold in this country.

The Taiwanese M-14 mags might even be Norinco too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:47:56 PM EST
Ooh, I never thought about the Norinco runabout before, good idea. I'm also pretty sure that the Taiwanese mags are Taiwanese.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:32:08 AM EST
So as long as they are "cheap and work".
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:29:05 PM EST
The magazines I've seen for sale and the 30-rounder I bought don't look like the Norinco M14 magazines I've got. I don't think they are made by Norinco.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:52:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By SS109:
I bet they are Norinco made and imported from Argentina

Not a chance. Chinese (Norinco/Poly Tech) M14 Mags are top quality. Equal to USGI. These mystery Mags are of lessor quality. Better than USA/Western brand junk but not as good as USGI.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:39:29 AM EST
Sportsman's Guide has Taiwanese Type 57 magazines for $15 each. I bought three of them to check them out. The magazines show some small spots of rust but nothing serious. The magazine bodies and floor plates look nice and compare to Norinco or GI in overall shape and quality. The magazine springs and followers are copies of the GI stuff and don't look as well made as the American parts. The bends in the springs are sort of rounded and crooked and the followers have some rough edges.

Two of these magazines will only load to a capacity of 19 rounds. I don't know if that's a result of springs or something else. I have left these two magazines loaded and can still only jam 19 rounds into them.

All three magazines seem to feed fine and lock the bolt open when empty. If the 19-round problem doesn't correct itself I will buy some +P magazine springs from Wolff and see what that does. I say "seem to" because I have only run these magazines through my rifles a couple times and would like to do a more extensive range session before stating they are 100% reliable.

My opinion? A good deal for $15.

PS--I still haven't tried the 30-rounder I've got. Sportsman's Guide has them, too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:08:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Sportsman's Guide has Taiwanese Type 57 magazines for $15 each. I bought three of them to check them out. The magazines show some small spots of rust but nothing serious. The magazine bodies and floor plates look nice and compare to Norinco or GI in overall shape and quality. The magazine springs and followers are copies of the GI stuff and don't look as well made as the American parts. The bends in the springs are sort of rounded and crooked and the followers have some rough edges.

Two of these magazines will only load to a capacity of 19 rounds. I don't know if that's a result of springs or something else. I have left these two magazines loaded and can still only jam 19 rounds into them.

All three magazines seem to feed fine and lock the bolt open when empty. If the 19-round problem doesn't correct itself I will buy some +P magazine springs from Wolff and see what that does. I say "seem to" because I have only run these magazines through my rifles a couple times and would like to do a more extensive range session before stating they are 100% reliable.

My opinion? A good deal for $15.

PS--I still haven't tried the 30-rounder I've got. Sportsman's Guide has them, too.

Dang.... they must have read your review.... it's going for like $19.97 now. #WX2-86649 www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=151160

#WX2-69398 is also an M1A mag, & listed at $11.47....but I have no idea who made it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:11:45 AM EST
dansammo.com has these same mags @ $80 for 5 delivered.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:40:09 AM EST
I bet those bastards are heavy when they're loaded.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:18:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
dansammo.com has these same mags @ $80 for 5 delivered.

The Page w/ Mags towards the bottom

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:28:29 PM EST
Why weren't they selling USGI quality $20 M1A mags five years ago? I would have bought 20 for sure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:01:20 AM EST
Back in the early 1990's I purchased new USGI M14 magazines for around $10.00, I doubt if we will ever see that again.
Top Top