Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2002 1:24:39 PM EDT
about if I have my guns registered in my name?.

I've bought allot of guns in my name the past  year. I've always bought guns in the past from private owners w/o papers, should I keep all unregistered guns or does it matter. Should I be worried about getting my register guns taking away from me in the future, What if they did, and what would happen if I sold the guns in my name without paperwork.

Ok here another concern, If I go to sell the guns that are in my name could there be anything that comes back on me if the person uses it for whatever illegal activity, What if I don't have a copy of a bill of sale to the person I sold it to.

I did a search but didn't find anything that's answers my questions.

I personally would tell the commie bastards, I sold all of my guns, and I'm a tree hugging liberal nowhile

OR am I paranoid

Your responses is appreciated
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, all hearsay - don't quote me for anything.

If a gun is used in a crime they can look up the serial number and trace it to the FFL.  The FFL has the info leading to the person that purchased it from him.  If that person is you, they may come talk to you.

If you tell them you sold the gun they might be able to ask for proof - but since you are not required to keep proof of sale I am not sure what the next step would be.  Can they search your home for the gun?  I doubt it.

If you buy a gun as a private sale, there is no record of it and no need to be worried unless the previous owner knows how to get ahold of you and tells the LEOs.

I do know of one case where a private party bought many guns and a good percentage of them turned up in the hands of minors.  I don't know the details, but he is not allowed to touch a gun at the pawn shop my roomate worked in.  He just looks at them and another person buys it later that day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Heck, every firearm I own is registered to me, as I filled out 4473's on ALL of them. I have sold many, many firearms over the years and never kept records. I used to transfer handguns to buyers when Indiana required it, but they have even dropped that requirement now. Man, if the government ever compiled a list of all my past purchases, it would be over 100.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Man, if the government ever compiled a list of all my past purchases, it would be over 100.

Don't worry, they have. You're on the "list".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top