Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2002 5:29:03 AM EDT
I have a Kalashnikov sporter on order from CDNN($180+ FFL) and have been hanging out on the AK/SKS boards. The Saiga 7.62x39 at that price should be a real shooter.  That's the same price as a decent surplus Yugo SKS and $160 less than a Romanian SAR1 which probably will need a $70 trigger fix.

There is a lot of AR bashing about the superior reliability of the AK/SKS rifles.

I have had some failures with my handloaded ammo but not factory ammo. (Bushmaster upper)

How many jams are you guys having? Do you think that there is still a significant reliability
edge comparing M16A2 and AK47 or AK74?

Are you aware of any non-bias side by side comparisons.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Apples to oranges!!!!

My AR's are tack drivers, my AK's will feed rounds that I have dropped in the mud and didn't clean off. For that matter, I could drop the entire rifle in the mud and it would still shoot. But my Ak's are far from being tack drivers.

As far as the SAR trigger slap, the fix is free and takes about 5 min with a dremal.

http://blackrifle.gunsnet.net/triggerslap.htm
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey Dano, Talk about trigger slap-How bout a fix for the Cobraypm11. It hurts to shoot that junker!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently bought a 16" upper from J&T Distr.  I cleaned it out when I first got it home.  I then proceeded to take it to the range four weekends in a row each time shooting 200-300 rounds thru it.  After every seccion I put it back in the safe dirty(yes, I know...mortal gun sin).  With the exception of one bad old beatup mag I never had a single failure to feed during the whole 4 week period!!  When I finally did clean it the crap inside was so increadible black and gunked up you wouldn't believe it.  And during all this time the rifles accuracy was excellent!!

Now I did have a target grade BullBarrel that required frequent cleaning, but that was because it had a match grade chamber...and that barrel put 5 shots within 1/2" at 100 yards.

I also have a Mak90 and love that rifle also.  But I no longer believe the stories that an AR is less reliable than an AK.

BTW, my Mak90's stock trigger is much smoother than any stock AR trigger.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]
my ar15's are match service rifles and use them for that but also have a an/pvs2 night scope and a colt 4x for them also if I needed to use them for other things than shooting highpower.
have some other assult rifles around.
but I have that ak47 rifle and lots of cheap ammo and mags around for close range and fun shooting. I have total confidence in all my rifles and if I don't I get rid of them.
but man that ak has never missed a beat no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
When I first bought my MAK90 (Chinese AK) I had jam trouble with the Russian hollow point ammo.
I ended up slightly enlarging the lower part of the feed ramp with a dremel tool and then polishing it.  I have never had a jam since.  the whole job took 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Firepower, You have two choices.
1. You can fix it the same way SWD does, add a piece of rubber tubing to the trigger.

2. Check the sear and striker plate.  When the bolt is coming back, the striker plate runs over the sear and if the sear can not completely lower itself below the plate, your going to feel it.
Pull the trigger group and look for the part/frame that is marked. Also check the back edge of the striker plate, it should be slightly beveled to assist it when riding over the sear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top