Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 10:04:24 AM EDT
Had to ask because at places online like Chinook, they are 30$ a piece. Can be found on ebay now BNIB for $10-$15 which makes me suspect.

Anyone have any of these, are they GTG or some knock off garbage?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
MSRP vs street price?

I pay $12-18 shipped all day long for CATs on ebay

Just gotone Tuesday for $16 shipped

Came in the plastic sealant with NAR instructions.

I have also purchased from my HTF for $11 each
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MSRP vs street price?

I pay $12-18 shipped all day long for CATs on ebay

Just gotone Tuesday for $16 shipped

Came in the plastic sealant with NAR instructions.

I have also purchased from my HTF for $11 each
View Quote

That's what I was hoping the answer was. Just wasn't sure why there was a 100% markup at reputable places, which made me think the ebay stuff was some Made in China shit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, there are knockoffs that were made for airsofters.

The only time I'll buy them from individuals is from .mil folks. There are somethings I'm just not willing to cut prices and medical gear is one of them
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Like others said there are knockoffs. There is a good PDF somewhere with what to look for. That being said since the mil hands them out like candy there are plenty legit ones for cheap on eBay. Caveat emptor and all that crap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought one the other day for $25 delivered on Amazon. Thought that was a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Fakes?  Absolutely...and they've made it into theater.

"The" way to ID a real one, according to our medics, is via the "tongue" tab:  it should have a grid of BB-sized dimples embossed (melted) onto the last inch or so.

The one I'm looking at right now is a bit worn, but has 6 rows of dimples clearly visible; starts with 4 rows of 5, a row of 4 with the center one missing and the last row (at the tip) is 3.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Absolutely...and they've made it into theater.

"The" way to ID a real one, according to our medics, is via the "tongue" tab:  it should have a grid of BB-sized dimples embossed (melted) onto the last inch or so.

The one I'm looking at right now is a bit worn, but has 6 rows of dimples clearly visible; starts with 4 rows of 5, a row of 4 with the center one missing and the last row (at the tip) is 3.
View Quote

I think the dimples are a newer gen, I wanna say the older ones didn't have the dimples. At least I'm pretty sure some I have that I was issued don't have them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think the dimples are a newer gen, I wanna say the older ones didn't have the dimples. At least I'm pretty sure some I have that I was issued don't have them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely...and they've made it into theater.

The dimples were added to differentiate them from the fakes; genuine but older ones would not have the dimples, I assume.

Now why couldn't the counterfeiters just fake the dimples?  I dunno.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't really buy the 'airsoft' argument.
Those dudes pay thousands of dollars for replicas as well as legit gear. Airsoft Tqs should be just as good

I'm not willing to be the beta tester but...
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Those dudes pay thousands of dollars for replicas as well as legit gear. Airsoft Tqs should be just as good

View Quote

There was a report on Airsoft fakes a while back where they tested them and found they broke easily and had other defects.  They Airsoft deal is real, just because you don't buy it doesn't mean squat.  http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/element-combat-application-tourniquet-cat.html.  They get into the supply chain by assholes putting profit over safety, buying the cheap play version and selling it as the higher real version to make profit.  

There was video of them testing them also.

ETA: Here is the video http://soldiersystems.net/2013/05/28/counterfeit-cat-tourniquets-have-infiltrated-ontario-provincial-police/
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the mil hands them out like candy there are plenty legit ones for cheap on eBay.
View Quote

Edit for shameless self advertisement: Im practically giving away LEGIT CATs. PM me if you want some.

EDIT AGAIN: Im getting a lot of PMs. Please include any previous response from me in your reply and if you dont get a reply from me within 24 hours please PM me again. I think Im caught up on replies now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:12:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thousands of Chinese knockoff CATs flooded the market and even made their way into the US inventory. The windlass isn't strong enough and can snap in half when you try and use it.

The new ones with the dimples and red tab were made simply to differentiate from them.  I'm sure more counterfeits were made with those features but the military tightened down on where they source class 8 from after that.

I generally use SOFT-T's I source from reputable vendors in my FAKs, but I keep CATs on my PC because they are easy to use one handed, and I can get them replaced for free after they degrade.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I better check my spare CAT I bought from Grunt Gear off Amazon. Pretty sure it came in a wrapper like the one I got from Dark Angel
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I better check my spare CAT I bought from Grunt Gear off Amazon. Pretty sure it came in a wrapper like the one I got from Dark Angel
View Quote

Knockoffs had the same wrappers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"NSN" numbers too if i recall
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just got more from Grunt Gear last week
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#20]
You used to be able to tell from the red tab. Now that is being copied as well. Get a SOF-T or SOF-T Wide and safe yourself the trouble. They are a much better made product than the CAT.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is a vid of what happens when you use the fake ones.

http://vimeo.com/67103253
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is a vid of what happens when you use the fake ones.

http://vimeo.com/67103253
View Quote

I dont doubt what was posted one bit, but the 2 fake CATS used both looked like copies of the original CATs, which would sometimes break in the same manner.

Bottom Line: If you are going to trust your life to it, buy it from a reputable dealer or someone who you trust to know what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top