Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 11:02:08 AM EST
Hi, I have a yugo sks and was wondering if I could lighten it up a little, I love the gun but I would love it more if it wasnt so heavy. Woudl a fiberglass stock help? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:55:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/4/2004 11:57:05 AM EST by hickboy]
A fiberglass stock may help, but the best way to lighten it up would be to cut off the grenade launcher, it's sight, and the bayonet. IMO, with all of this done, the gun looks like crap, but it will make it lighter. www.surplusrifle.com/sks/grenadesightremoval/hs.asp
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:08:38 PM EST
I have altered my Yugo by chopping off the grenade launcher and bayonet. It lightened it up a little, but better than that, it took several inches off of the length. I put some Williams Firesights on it and it is great!

I would do it again, I just wouldn't post it online!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:09:14 AM EST
yep, ditch the bayo, nade tube and nade sights and that will save some weight and length
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:27:09 PM EST
How can removing the bayonet and grenade launcher help shorten this SKS? Of course, its shorter than it would be with the bayonet extended, but what am I missing? Did you guys chop the barrel just before the front sight or something like that?

Please tell me!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:31:55 AM EST
Of course, removing the bayonet doesn't reduce length, but taking off the grenade launcher does. You can either just unscrew it or chop the barrel and re-crown.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:19:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By rockymass:
How can removing the bayonet and grenade launcher help shorten this SKS? Of course, its shorter than it would be with the bayonet extended, but what am I missing? Did you guys chop the barrel just before the front sight or something like that?

Please tell me!!

Well, the grenade launcher should shorten it, as it screws onto the muzzle, making it longer. If you leave the bayonet folded, then there's no extra length there.

The original question was about weight... I'm sure taking the bayo and nade sight off has to lighten it at least a little bit.
Top Top