Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 7:58:09 AM EDT
Are there any Sprinfield's stamped "M14" that are NOT NFA rifles?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
There is at least one probably a couple more.  Years ago, a case went to the SCOTUS regarding a semi-auto U.S.G.I. M14. IIRC, back in the 60's some G.I match rifles while made from M14 receivers, were permanently converted to semi-auto only from the factory. Some eventually made it into civilian hands. The ATF set about seizing these un-registered "machineguns" under the "once a machinegun, always a machinegun" rule. The ATF lost the case.
So, there is at least one and perhaps a few others that were covered by this case.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My recollection is there were no more than a dozen of these "factory" semi-only M14 Rifles and none of them were Springfield Armory (not Inc., the real armory).

If you're offered one be verrrrrrry careful.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a pre-ban M1A thats didnt get much of the left leg of the "A" when it was stamped.  Does that count?

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#4]
There are a "few" out there that have been assembled from rewelded receivers.  Some are legal, some are not.

Try over at www.battlerifles.com.  There are some really knowledgeable M1A guys over there too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a list of U.S. commercial M14 type rifle manufacturers and their model numbers as best as I have been able to gather.  If someone other than the manufacturer made the receiver they are identified as well.  For example, Armscorp makes receivers for Fulton Armory.  The hyphens in the model numbers are as they appear on the actual receivers.  From m14.freeservers.com

A. R. Sales Co. Mark IV
Armscorp (Smith Enterprise and Armscorp made receivers) M14 NM, M21
Entreprise Arms (ABNI made receivers) M14A2
Federal Ordnance M14, M14A, M14SA, CM14SA
Fulton Armory (Armscorp made receivers) M14
Hesse
LRB Arms M14SA
Mauntz / H&R Gun Co. Semi Auto
Maunz Mfg. (Smith Enterprise made receivers) U. S. RIFLE
Sarco (ABNI made receivers) M21
Smith Enterprise M-14, M-14 NM
Smith, Limited M-14
Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#6]
There were some few US Military M14's, that weren't full auto, can't remember much of the details. Go over to Battle Rifles, and perhaps you may find more.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
The USGI M14 M (Modified) was a rack grade M14 that had the selector components welded so that a selector switch could not be added.  This is a separate animal from the USGI M14 NM (National Match).  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top