Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2002 10:56:55 PM EDT
Do devises that hold two (or three) magazines together useful?  There are several
different brands, like the "jungle mag clamp" available from CDNN, or Choate's
"Magazine Connector".  
Is one type better than the others?
Do you have any mags set up like this?
How do you use them?
How much do they weigh, and do they change the
balance of the rifle?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Me like 'um.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Me like 'um.
heart.gif

Thats nice.   Would you like to tell me why?

I finally got a second GI mag, so I'm thinking about getting one of these.  (I have several Thermold Mags which I think rock!)
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Simply, MUCH quicker reloads.  
Tradeoff?  It makes the gun heavier overall.

If you have Thermolds,  you will need to get a clamp that will work around the "ribs" of the mag.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]

These boys have 'em!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Me like 'um.

I finally got a second GI mag, so I'm thinking about getting one of these.  (I have several Thermold Mags which I think rock!)

You got a second GI mag?  Hell boy, buy another 40-50 and keep up with the rest of us nuts around here.  As far as the mag clamps I love them.  Gives you a quick mag change.  I use them all the time in rifle matches...
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
btt
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
AH just go and buy a Beta C-Mag
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
AH just go and buy a Beta C-Mag

I'd love to, but $500+ for a Beta buys a lot of other stuff. Like ammo, optics, uppers, etc.

Ben,  The (poor) Emu
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
IF you are keeping a rifle handly and loaded for  things that go bump in the night, two mags clamped may be OK.  I make these observations:

1)  Do NOT tape them one up, one down.  The bottom mag hangs down excessivly; possible feedlip damage; dirt in bottom mag.  

2)  Tape or band them upright, with appropriate spacer.  You can cut a piece of 1/2" plywood as a spacer, facing the ply with thin rubber gasket material.  Then strap the mags together with large ty-wraps.  The rubber will keep the mags from slipping around.

3)  It is difficult to handle the empty pair of mags, or an extra large mag.  Better to carry one mag in the rifle, and a mag pouch.  I keep a full pouch handy, the Galati MP-30, which holds 6 USGI 30's, each in a separate pocket, velcro flapped, so mags do not rattle together, shoulder strap.  With one in the rifle, and 6 in the pouch, you are carrying 210 rounds.  When you empty the first mag, it can go back in the pouch.

4)  Emu, you don't have nearly enough mags.  You need at least a dozen per rifle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]

4)  Emu, you don't have nearly enough mags.  You need at least a dozen per rifle.

Who said I don't?  I only said that I only have 2 GI mags.

Actually, i have 7; 2 GI, 3 thermold (my favorite), 1 Bushmaster cutdown 10 rounder, 1 Orlite (which i dont like).

Ben, The(Magazine Poor)Emu
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Emu... I   will    say     this    verrrryyy    sloooowww-lyyyy.  

You     don't      have       enough      mags.

Thermolds are OK, Orlites are fine for practice, but for serious work, I would have nothing less than USGI 30's, tested at minimum 5 times each mag.  I would test them by first putting 10 rounds in them and firing until empty... five times per mag.  Then I would test them by putting in a full 30 rounds, and making sure they fire the first 10 rounds smoothly.  Test like this minimum 5 times.  If it passes these tests, they are good mags.  

Now you can safely put those mags away knowing they will work when needed.

I would have no fewer than 12 tested mags per rifle put away.  I would keep another half dozen for practice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The_Emu,

On top of everything else said, keep in mind these things can wear marks/scratches into your valued lower.  I know this means schnat for a field/working rifle - but it might mean something to you.

Edited: you -> your
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Me like 'um.

You got a second GI mag?  Hell boy, buy another 40-50 and keep up with the rest of us nuts around here.  As far as the mag clamps I love them.  Gives you a quick mag change.  I use them all the time in rifle matches...

I have 71-30 rd, and 35-20 rd. Is that enough to keep up with you, "Us Nuts," or should I pick up a few more?

I'm beginning to feel a little magagzine deprived now.

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
One of the problems is that the ammo in the spare mag tends to work its way forward under recoil, preventing you from being able to insert the second mag when the time comes.

Thats why I dont like mag clamps either.  I did see something on isayeret.com that I thought I'd try, and it solves the problem of the top round working forward.  Mag change requires a little training, but its easy.  One BIG problem is that the mags will never fit into a regular mag pouch.  I attached a few old mags using two sided tape, and added some para cord for looks and reinforcement.

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What about Redi-Mags?  No one's mentioned those yet...
Those work okay?

It looks like redi-mag is very useful for speed reloads, but not the best for tactical or infantry reloads.
Redi-Mag illustration
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Okay, I'll chime in on the Redi-mag; all of the benefits and none of the problems.  It's a really good piece of equipment.  I have used one to great effect in tactical rifle matches over the past few years.  The Redi-mag holds a spare mag in a auxiliary mag well.  The top of the mag is protected from debris, the rounds are unaffected by recoil, the mag is instantly available, and the empty mag can be dropped.  The only negative point to this system is the weight of the spare mag, but if you are even considering connecting several mags together, I'm assuming you have taken this into consideration.

By the way, I don't like the Mag-cinch.  The tolerance is tight, and if the mags torque, you will have a hard time inserting the spare mag.  I don't know if this is a big problem with the .223 mags, but it is with the 9mm's.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I too promote the Redi-Mag.  A common problem that is often associated with the Redi-Mag is when the mag-release is pressed both mags drop out and create chaos when in the heat of the moment.

The solution is to take the Redi-mag off and tighten the thread on the mag-release so a longer deliberate press is required to release the mags...it sort of creates a two-stage release...

Anyway, I digress.  I like the Redi-mag.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Mag clamps are great!  I use them to clamp 3 of those crappy 10rnd mags that come with post ban rifles together so I have the same capacity as the pre-banners.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mag clamps are great!  I use them to clamp 3 of those crappy 10rnd mags that come with post ban rifles together so I have the same capacity as the pre-banners.

Why would you do that in Wyoming? No thirties there?

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top