Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/2/2002 4:50:17 PM EST
I'm thinking about a new Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and I am wondering how their quality and reliability are. Does anyone know or own one? How is the accuracy? Any Pics? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:24:35 PM EST
A friend of mine has one and it works just fine. Very nice rifle, but they are heavy for a carbine IMO. I haven't shot it in about 15 years but it was quite accurate if I remember correctly.

I will say that you should avoid any of the clones built on the century receivers. They are nothing but overpriced junk.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:39:24 PM EST
The Thompsons I have seen are nice, but heavy as noted by Va-gunnut. Add on a fully loaded drum and you really got some weight!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:27:41 PM EST
Agree they are heavy, gawd awful heavy for a pistol caliber carbine (9lbs. ?). The 16in. barrel just looks wrong on a Thompson.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:42:43 PM EST
Auto Ordinance is the original company since the dawn of Thompsons!...Great hard working gun. Can take lots of punishment, dirt, grime and little lubrication if neglected...but...

Like Sukebe said,,,,the 16" barrel really really sucks!!!!! The gun looks funky. It's too bad we can't own short barreled rifles, like 11 inchers!!!!

That would be a great piece of iron, and fun to shoot, even if it was only in semi auto!

For the price coupled with the 16" barrel....save your money or better, go buy another variant of a Springfield M1-A.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:05:42 PM EST
EagleArmaHBAR
Do not listen to these other guys, bless their hearts. I have a 1927A1 Delux that my wife said she just had to have! I is heavy and fires as well as most of us can shoooooot. When firing the beast you do not even notice the 16" barrel, there is no zero kick to it, and is supprisingly quiet. Kara now makes the Thompsons and the quality has improver many times over. Flip up the rear sight and fire away long distance, it is great fun to watch the bulles come out of its arch and strike the target. the moly down side other than the weight is that drums cost almost as much as the rifle does. This is one of those item that you buy to hand down to your kids someday. If you decide to buy a Thompson enjoy it and but lots of ammo for it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:25:20 AM EST
I think that they are good but heavy guns.But a couple of things before you buy one.Don`t get the lightweight model cause I heard theat they wair away too fast.I have the 1927A1 and the M1.No issues with them except the ammo.But that was due to my fault and this is also why a lot of people think that the Thompson guns are junk.The thing is that you absolutly possitively have to run Factory 230 grain Ball ammo thru them.Otherwise the ammo won`t have the power to blow back the bolt.Of course then you have to find a range that allows rapid fire for the full efect.
Top Top