Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2002 7:17:41 AM EDT
I have recently purchased a JP trigger and was wondering if they are any good.  i have noticed that the pull is shorter and there is a somewhat lighter pull.  is there any web sights that explain the ar trigger group and simple ways of improving the trigger.

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used the JP trigger on many occasions and always found them to be very, very good.  Many people consider them to be top of the line.

Are you asking on how to modify the JP trigger even more??

sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#2]
yes and no.  i would like to make my original better and possibly make the jp better if that is possible.

thanks forthe info
lojack
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
JP single stage triggers are adjustable via the two small studs at either end of the or the trigger. It is very simple just screw the studs up or down with an Allen wrench to take out all of the trigger slop. Be careful if you adjust the trigger too far you will block the safety from being able to engage. I have one in my AR and absolutely love.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a JP in one of my ARs. Probably the best single stage trigger out there. The standard is 4-1/2 lbs. IIRC, but you can get different springs from them to make it lighter. Adjustments are for take up and over travel. Like Fungunnin said though, be careful how far you adjust.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#5]
The JP trigger (and speed hammer) are very fine, indeed.

The lighter pull is partly a result of the better sear surface, but also from the hammer and trigger spring included with the JP.

You can increase sear engagement by adjusting the rear screw, turning it counterclockwise (a little at a time).

You can replace the trigger and hammer springs with Mil Spec springs, increasing the trigger pull.

For more info, go to the JP website,
http://www.jpar15.com/
where there is a page on this:

description of JP trigger:
http://www.jpar15.com/fire.htm
how to adjust:
http://www.jpar15.com/i-fire.htm
hammer info:
http://www.jpar15.com/i-hammer.htm
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for all of the great info.  i am going to test the trigger today after work.  i will let everyone know what i think of the trigger.

thanks again
lojack
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Troy, I certainly agree.  KISS is the overriding factor in a homeland defence or LEO rifle.  If it can break, it will at the worst possible time.  If it has batteries, they will be dead when you really need it (which is why I like ACOG tritium).  

I use a "service removable" Locktite on the JP screws and have never had a problem with the screws backing out, but that does not mean it can't happen.  So far, the oils and bore solvents I use have not affected the Locktite, but I don't know about other brands.

Also, I would seriously worry about a legal defense in a self defense situation with a light trigger.  A minimum of 4.5# pull is what I would want, with a good amount of sear engagement.  This can be easily achieved with stock trigger and hammer, some LIGHT polishing of the sear surfaces, and a little spring tweaking.  

The problem is you can be accused of having an unsafe weapon that went off accidently... and you are in a position of having to prove you shot the burglar/rapist/terrorist on purpose, that is was no accident.

So, a 2# trigger with a 1mm trigger stroke, well, that is too hairy for me.  On the range, OK, but not when things go bump in the night.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
But, the JP can be adjusted to have a more normal sear engagement, and the springs chosen, as per the JP site (see the URLs in my earlier post) for a 4.5# pull.  Then the only worry is the screws.  I think the Locktite takes care of that for most purposes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like the JP.  In fact, I personally favor it over the Jewell for general purpose shooting.  It has a very positive feel.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi all,

once again i have gotten great advice from members on this board.  I took my rifle out to the range today to check out the trigger.  i must say that it is a vast improvement over the stock.  the colt trigger was the best stock trigger i had ever felt, but the jp tops it.  my groups turned out a lot better than with the stock trigger.  the best way to describe the it is that there is no play in it at all.  easy pull and bang.  the instructions that come with it needs a lot of help.  better instructions would make this a perfect buy.  took me an hour or so to get it and hd to redo it.  

as for the self defense, i have a 24 bull barrel on my rifle.  i dont think that i will be sneaking around any corners with that.  to take care of home i have a colt 1911 and a CZ75.

thanks again,
lojack
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top