Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2009 6:19:29 PM EDT
I like the look of the Boker Applegate-Fairbairn but really have not been following where the design is going.  Any recommendations for a modern rendition of the Applegate-Fairbairn?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Gerber makes a folder variety.  I know a fellow here got their smaller version for EDC and liked it a lot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It's made for killing, and that's it. It actually is a great knife for it's desired use.
Sucks as an all around tool.

I take it you're talking about the fixed blade.

As to where the design is going, what needs to be changed?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The only "modern" change I've seen made to that knife, is you can get a model with canvas micarta grips. I think Bill Harsey designed it and its a bit more pricey. Really, it will be the same knife for what it actually does, which is open up bad guys.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Years ago I thought it looked tacticool.  When I handled it in person I was far less impressed.  It seemed to me to be more of a "I am a ninja" knife than a practical user.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought the large Gerber folder version a few years back.....it went on a deployment or 2, but I don't think I ever did anything more tactical than open an MRE bag with it.  I tried to use it to whittle once.....the shape and width of the blade made even that little relaxation chore difficult and frustrating.  

If I changed my idle time hobby to poking meat instead of whittling sticks, the Gerber Applegate would be a fantastic tool––but for anything else, there's better choices.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:09:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Years ago I thought it looked tacticool.  When I handled it in person I was far less impressed.  It seemed to me to be more of a "I am a ninja" knife than a practical user.

True, most knives the style aren't really required for most day to day usage.  

However for its intended purpose as a dagger it works well.  It was designed as a design improvement on the Brit Commando knife that tended to snap while stabbing people.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have other practical knives.  This just strikes me as a classic design that I should have in inventory. So, I'm kind of put off by the Gerber folder, though it looks nice.
It just struck me that the Glock field knife is in the ball park with a little longer and narrower blade and a weight forward balance.  And a lot cheaper.
I just said it was different didn't I.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's made for killing, and that's it. It actually is a great knife for it's desired use.

The folder is suprisingly good as an all around tool.  I have the fullsize in my back pocket right now.  I convexed both edges and it works wonderfully.  I got it as more of a toy than anything else but have discovered that the sweep of each edge is very utilitarian.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The folder is suprisingly good as an all around tool.  I have the fullsize in my back pocket right now.  I convexed both edges and it works wonderfully.  I got it as more of a toy than anything else but have discovered that the sweep of each edge is very utilitarian.

I'll stick with my assessment(speaking of the Boker,ie fixed blade). For an all around user you can do a lot better with cheaper blades( single edged, FUK comes to mind).

OP if you desire one to round out a collection, or just want a cool fighting knife, fine. But it's a dagger designed for a purpose, no more, no less.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Uuumm, are we in the survival forum?  Ya,  the Applegate-Fairbairn is and always was a fighting knife.  That's it's strength.
It was never intended to be a survival or pocket knife.
But now that I think of it, I may need to do more research and whether it should have a wood grip.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top