Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2009 6:27:17 PM EDT
As the title says, I've got some parts I painted with krylon that I'd like to strip without having to buy 5 bottles of brake cleaner.

In short, Im feeling lazy and would just like to soak the parts in something that will break the paint down, and hopefully leave the parts themselves intact.

Both parts are tango down brand...a pistol grip and a VFG.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on the plastic.

Try contacting Krylon on Monday for suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple green.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
use laquer thinner, a scrub brush and elbow grease.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't use Lacquer thinner.  Most plastics will melt under it.  Brake Fluid is what any plastic modeler uses worth his salt.  (one of my many hobbies)  Let it soak over night in it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't use Lacquer thinner.  Most plastics will melt under it.  Brake Fluid is what any plastic modeler uses worth his salt.  (one of my many hobbies)  Let it soak over night in it.

No shit, never even thought about that.  Honestly I figured it would mush up the plastic...but well...I guess the reservoirs on cars are plastic too
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Break Fluid works.... just its break fluid, kinda nasty stuff.

Simple Green is a longer soak, but it won't kill your cat.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I used Goof Off to remove Krylon form an AR with good success.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top