Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 11:35:24 PM EDT
I am saving up to buy a new gun in the near to distant future. I already have a Bushmaster M4 so i was looking to expand my gun collection outside of the AR15 platform. I was really drawn to the M1A SOCOM and SOCOM II's. I know that springfield Armory and the M1A is battle proven and know for accuracy. I would like to hear from some of you SOCOM owners. Give me some of your thoughts on why this is a superior weapon for me to buy.

thanks for your opinion and  much appreciated,
Doug
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag...

I'm buying another M1A and I am choosing from a standard or a SOCOM 16...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been very satisfied with my SOCOM. I have had 100% reliablilty for its first a few thousand rounds. Shoots accurate 1.5" to 2.5" depending on ammo. I have the Leupold Scout scope on it.  I have had several other M1a's and M14's and an M21 over the years. I liked them all, But they were always too big to pack around... Dont get me wrong... I would still like another National match... But this little carbine beats the he11 outta a AR15/M16.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#3]

My SOCOM is a solid performer, but I prefer the Standard by a long shot.  No pun intended...  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got one and for the most part its a decent shooter and fun gun. Mine doesnt shoot as well as Longhairs, but I do get an occasional 2" group out of it when I have a scope on it and I'm trying. 3" is about par with mine, reloads or good surplus. I mostly shoot it with an Aimpoint ML2 on it. So far, it seems like the best way to go. The iron sights are fine for close up fast shooting, but are a little lacking for any kind of precision shooting at 100 yards and beyond. I had(well actually, I still have) some issues with the forward rail. Springfield swears its Mil/Picatinny spec but mine definitely isnt. Its not even close. Weaver maybe. ARMS lever mounts dont want to stay tight, and some dont even get tight and my LaRue mount, wont go on at all. Of course, its got the adjustable lever I need to get the mount tight, but it also has two recoil blocks that are to mil spec that dont match the Springfields rail, so thats out. I'm on my third ARMS lever mount for it and thought it was finally staying tight, but its now loose. By loose, I mean I can move it by hand pressure, but its not flopping around. It does seem to be holding zero OK when I remove it and replace it, and I slide it forward against the recoil block when I put it on. The ARMS lever rings I got for my Burris Scout scope(get the Leupold, its nicer) also dont want to stay tight, but I slid them fore and aft against the recoil blocks before I mounted the scope and then put the scope on them. This way, it doesnt move and has also been holding zero. As a side note here, I sold one of the ARMS mounts for my Aimpoint to a boy at my local shop who just got one and that mount fits tight on his rail, so go figure. I dont know if I got a crap rail or what. I think if you go with Weaver rings that lock down with a screw, you will be fine, but then again, if you want to swap stuff back and forth, your most likely SOL. Springfield also swears that the stock isnt a refurbished GI glass stock, but you can see that it is. The paint is chipping off where the brass hits it on ejection and you can also see where the selector slot was filled. They also ground all the molded in checkering off on mine, making the grip a little narrow for me. I put skate board tape on it and its better. I see in their ad's and catalog pics that they had some with the checkering still on it, so I dont know whats up there.  Other than those couple things, mines functioned fine with good mags. I've got about 1000+ rounds through it now and its running great.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've got one and for the most part its a decent shooter and fun gun. Mine doesnt shoot as well as Longhairs, but I do get an occasional 2" group out of it when I have a scope on it and I'm trying. 3" is about par with mine, reloads or good surplus.

I mostly shoot it with an Aimpoint ML2 on it. So far, it seems like the best way to go. The iron sights are fine for close up fast shooting, but are a little lacking for any kind of precision shooting at 100 yards and beyond. I had(well actually, I still have) some issues with the forward rail. Springfield swears its Mil/Picatinny spec but mine definitely isnt. Its not even close. Weaver maybe. ARMS lever mounts dont want to stay tight, and some dont even get tight and my LaRue mount, wont go on at all.

Of course, its got the adjustable lever I need to get the mount tight, but it also has two recoil blocks that are to mil spec that dont match the Springfields rail, so thats out. I'm on my third ARMS lever mount for it and thought it was finally staying tight, but its now loose. By loose, I mean I can move it by hand pressure, but its not flopping around. It does seem to be holding zero OK when I remove it and replace it, and I slide it forward against the recoil block when I put it on.

The ARMS lever rings I got for my Burris Scout scope(get the Leupold, its nicer) also dont want to stay tight, but I slid them fore and aft against the recoil blocks before I mounted the scope and then put the scope on them. This way, it doesnt move and has also been holding zero. As a side note here, I sold one of the ARMS mounts for my Aimpoint to a boy at my local shop who just got one and that mount fits tight on his rail, so go figure. I dont know if I got a crap rail or what.

I think if you go with Weaver rings that lock down with a screw, you will be fine, but then again, if you want to swap stuff back and forth, your most likely SOL. Springfield also swears that the stock isnt a refurbished GI glass stock, but you can see that it is.

The paint is chipping off where the brass hits it on ejection and you can also see where the selector slot was filled. They also ground all the molded in checkering off on mine, making the grip a little narrow for me. I put skate board tape on it and its better.

I see in their ad's and catalog pics that they had some with the checkering still on it, so I dont know whats up there.  Other than those couple things, mines functioned fine with good mags. I've got about 1000+ rounds through it now and its running great.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have about 800 rds through my SOCOM and have only had one small problem with it. A part in the rear sight elevation pinion had to be replaced as it would not hold it's elevation setting. Past that, it has been just fine.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
So far I have only 20 rounds through it.  Just got it and went out back to see if it went bang when I pulled the  trigger.  Will have a better review later.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've got one and for the most part its a decent shooter and fun gun. Mine doesnt shoot as well as Longhairs, but I do get an occasional 2" group out of it when I have a scope on it and I'm trying. 3" is about par with mine, reloads or good surplus. I mostly shoot it with an Aimpoint ML2 on it. So far, it seems like the best way to go. The iron sights are fine for close up fast shooting, but are a little lacking for any kind of precision shooting at 100 yards and beyond. I had(well actually, I still have) some issues with the forward rail. Springfield swears its Mil/Picatinny spec but mine definitely isnt. Its not even close. Weaver maybe. ARMS lever mounts dont want to stay tight, and some dont even get tight and my LaRue mount, wont go on at all. Of course, its got the adjustable lever I need to get the mount tight, but it also has two recoil blocks that are to mil spec that dont match the Springfields rail, so thats out. I'm on my third ARMS lever mount for it and thought it was finally staying tight, but its now loose. By loose, I mean I can move it by hand pressure, but its not flopping around. It does seem to be holding zero OK when I remove it and replace it, and I slide it forward against the recoil block when I put it on. The ARMS lever rings I got for my Burris Scout scope(get the Leupold, its nicer) also dont want to stay tight, but I slid them fore and aft against the recoil blocks before I mounted the scope and then put the scope on them. This way, it doesnt move and has also been holding zero. As a side note here, I sold one of the ARMS mounts for my Aimpoint to a boy at my local shop who just got one and that mount fits tight on his rail, so go figure. I dont know if I got a crap rail or what. I think if you go with Weaver rings that lock down with a screw, you will be fine, but then again, if you want to swap stuff back and forth, your most likely SOL. Springfield also swears that the stock isnt a refurbished GI glass stock, but you can see that it is. The paint is chipping off where the brass hits it on ejection and you can also see where the selector slot was filled. They also ground all the molded in checkering off on mine, making the grip a little narrow for me. I put skate board tape on it and its better. I see in their ad's and catalog pics that they had some with the checkering still on it, so I dont know whats up there.  Other than those couple things, mines functioned fine with good mags. I've got about 1000+ rounds through it now and its running great.

I've also found the forward rail a litle suspect in it's tolerances. My Aimpoint will work itself just a little loose, even w/ purple Loctite, sliding slightly forward and back (not sies to side). For paint I just use a black magic marker.

I do have a lot of fun shooting this one though. Not many rounds yet (~500), but it eats everything!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Hehe I was just in 711 and was reading a gun magazine with an artical on the SOCOM 16. Man I'm in love...I really want to buy one now!

So thats probably gonna be my next rifle purchase....however I might go with a Remington700, not sure if I want a long range rifle or just a freakin insanely cool looking rifle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a couple hundred rounds through mine. Using the Aimpoint ML2 on an ARMS #17 mount without any problems. Light, handy, accurate, and fun to shoot. It goes to the range and my NM M1A stays in the safe; what else is there to say?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont think Ive read a negative review about a SOCOM, do a search and read all the various posts about them, seems people like them a lot.  They make a good fireball which is kudos in my book.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#12]
So does a round going off out of battery.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So does a round going off out of battery?

Never heard that they do, fireball is due to the short barrel and unspent powder that burns outside the barrel after the bullet leaves the muzzle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I like it.  But I already have a couple of M1As.  I would buy it if I had the funds.

Max
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I like it.  But I already have a couple of M1As.  I would buy it if I had the funds.

Max

I think Id rather have a Bush/Scout/Squad rifle than the Socom, then I would put it in a Sage EBR stock.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Get the Fullsize.

It's a .308, right? Keep the extra power available with the cartridge and the 22 inch barrel. Leave the 16 barrel for the .223 and all will be well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#17]
"Quote: Max
I think Id rather have a Bush/Scout/Squad rifle than the Socom, then I would put it in a Sage EBR stock."

Big big +1.  I've cut my LOP and have less than an inch more than a SOCOM, but an 18.5" barrel.   That extra barrel length adds a fair amount of extra FPS.  Further, my gas system and front end is standard and I have the option of experimenting or changing my front sights and brake / suppressor.  If I want, I can even put that ridiculous aluminum scout mount back on the front.  That mount leaves alot to be desired for anything but casual range use.  I'm not trashing the SOCOM.  They look cool and those that have them like them.  However, for what you give up to get a SOCOM, not counting the additional couple hundred bucks which could go toward alot of ammo, you get little if nothing in return other than "cool".   However, I think my project is just as cool and works for me much better than a SOCOM

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"Quote: Max
I think Id rather have a Bush/Scout/Squad rifle than the Socom, then I would put it in a Sage EBR stock."

Big big +1.  I've cut my LOP and have less than an inch more than a SOCOM, but an 18.5" barrel.   That extra barrel length adds a fair amount of extra FPS.  Further, my gas system and front end is standard and I have the option of experimenting or changing my front sights and brake / suppressor.  If I want, I can even put that ridiculous aluminum scout mount back on the front.  That mount leaves alot to be desired for anything but casual range use.  I'm not trashing the SOCOM.  They look cool and those that have them like them.  However, for what you give up to get a SOCOM, not counting the additional couple hundred bucks which could go toward alot of ammo, you get little if nothing in return other than "cool".   However, I think my project is just as cool and works for me much better than a SOCOM
members.cox.net/waa135/m1ascoutr.JPG
members.cox.net/waa135/m1aetcclose.JPG

[newbie talking] I don't know jack about M1As, but I knew there had to be a better set up than the SOCOM and you sir have shown it to me. I hate the fact that the SOCOM can't take a can. Is that a Bush, Scout , Squad or does it matter?[/newbie talking]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I wa sighting in mt M14s and the guytwo benches down has a Socom. He offered to let me take it for a three round group, so I grabed three rounds of Portugese and locke in a mag.  

1-First impression was how short and light it was. Felt good. Strange to sudenly not have that "long barreled shotgun feel" of my m14s.
2-Sights were significantly larger in FOV behind the ghost ring.
3-My trigger finger felt nothing different between the FCG on his vs mine.
4-Flash was much more visible, and loose clothing snapped at your wrists.
5-Recoil was slightly more pronounced, but not measureable.
6-My three shot group was all in a six inch bull, measured 2 1/2 inches from hole to hole. I know it could be better with optics. 100yds

I now dream of owning one too.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:21:17 AM EDT
[#20]
A friend of mine and I went to the range recently to set zeros on various rifles and give his new SOCOM a work out. The 4 other rifles were F A Ls that I had built and an M1A that I had bought from him.
The SOCOM functioned perfectly, but produced very unimpressive groups. We had the followig ammo:
Argentine
Portugese ( BF and FNM)
Indian ( OFV 74)
South African ( R1M1 and M1A2)
Spanish
Australian ( AFF and MF)

The best groups were produced shooting the Portugese BF at just under 2.5 inches at 50 yrds. (Benched, bagged, no wind, iron sights)
The worst groups were with the Indian, Just over 3 inches at 50 yrds.

My friend began to doubt his shooting abilities. He is usually an excellent shooter. He fired up his F A L and it produced 1 inch groups at 50 yrds shooting the South African R1M1 and just under 1 inch with the Australian. The M1A made all of the rounds touch at 50 yrds using the Australian and a 4X12 scope.

ETA, we were firing 5 rnd strings.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:13:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey RecoilJunky,
A "Scout" is merely a "Bush" with a substandard aluminum SA forward scout mount added for an Aimpoint, scout scope, etc.  They no longer make the Bush.  But, just buy a Scout, remove the forward scout mount, and add a new handguard, and buddabing, you have what I have.  I added an ARMS18 because it is low and my scope is QD.  With the particular scope I have, I can also use the sights with the scope on there.  My scope is a converted 4x red dot Combat Elite IR that I retired off my AR when I got a TA31F (everything they say about the TA31F is true, +10).  I bedded this rifle and it will shoot 2 MOA at 100 with surplus RG and SA (maybe a tad looser groups).  I've added an SEI bolt stop/release (a must have item) and an SEI brake (shorter than the stock SA).  The brake does reduce felt recoil and is not much louder (except for the guys next to me).  I don't notice any giant fireball, excessive flash, as some like to report.  This rifle was built up by me specifically for hog and brush deer, as well as self defense.  It is nice having it about here in south La. with all the Katrina mess.  I also Devcon steel bedded and reenforced that rail segment up front that will take my AR taclights or ARMS QD bipod.  This thing is all I need, packs more wallop at range than a SOCOM due to 2" more barrel, is just as handy, and has standard gas system and front end, which will absolutely allow the SEI front sight / flash suppressor setup that would take a can.  Good hunting bro.
Cheers,
AB
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:27:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think Id rather have a Bush/Scout/Squad rifle than the Socom, then I would put it in a Sage EBR stock.

Quoted:
Hey RecoilJunky,
A "Scout" is merely a "Bush" with a substandard aluminum SA forward scout mount added for an Aimpoint, scout scope, etc.  They no longer make the Bush.  But, just buy a Scout, remove the forward scout mount, and add a new handguard, and buddabing, you have what I have.  

AB has a super fine rifle

Here is my version of the Bush/Scout rifle pictured next to my shotgun.
I love the little 18" M14 type rifles

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#23]
H2O, as always, your stuff rocks.  To give credit where credit is due, my M1A scout project was simply knocked off from H2O's (and a few others) ideas and rifles as presented here and the other M1A/M14 forum.  I'm simply a copycat and got my info from H2O.  This also goes to show that if I can put one of these together, you can as well.  SOCOMs are cool, but this has more options, especially if you want the slick stock H2O has.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top