Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2002 11:46:59 AM EDT
I posted this in the Handgun Forum:

I may 'invest' in the S&W Bodyguard .357.
I've always wanted the Bodyguard, and now that it's in .357, my favorite revolver caliber, I'd like to get one.
I am currently S&W free (never owned one before) but this is the one I want.

Can I get some feedback from those of you who may have one or have used one, please?
Thanks.
(I gave my Ruger SP-101 to my best friend for his birthday.  I KNOW it is a good gun, but, I wanted the Security-Six snubnose with 6-shots.)
:
:

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Bus, I have something close, this is a 640. Its a 5 shot stainless. Assuming the 649 is also stainless it should be similar.

I have been very satisfied with my 640. I don't recommend shooting full house 158 grainers in these though, I use the milder 110-125 grainers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bus, I have something close, this is a 640. Its a 5 shot stainless. Assuming the 649 is also stainless it should be similar.

I have been very satisfied with my 640. I don't recommend shooting full house 158 grainers in these though, I use the milder 110-125 grainers.

That's a good one, too.  The guy I gave the Ruger to bought a 642 (the good one) for his wife.
 I'm looking for the 'humpback' look and the cocking feature.
As for the 158gr. full-house loads, do you not recommend them for the durability of the gun, or because of the wrist-wrenching torque?
I know the J-Frame isn't as durable as my SP-101, but, limited use of the 158's is what I'd be seeking for defensive use.
Besides, I like recoil!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Just sending it back up once to fish for answers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#4]
When I suggested avoiding the 158 grainers I was  talking about your wrist, not the durability of the gun
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a S&W 640 also. I like mine quite a bit. I shoot mostly 38spls thru it, mainly for the sake of my wrist, I don't want to get carpal tunnel. But I have shot a few 357 mags just to see what it feels like. Trigger is kinda heavy, but for a close quarter self-defense gun where I don't expect to shoot it more than 15 feet, that is about right. There is no possibility of an accidental discharge.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one and changed the grips to those really small harwood grips. They are those "undercover" grips that have finger grooves on the front strap.

The gun conceals in just about any pocket, so its become my "always" gun. I have Federal 125grain JHP's in it as we speak. The recoil is devastating. I think my hand went numb for a day when I shot all five rounds off at once. For a while I thought I had nerve damage. But I figure when the sh*t hits the fan, I wont even notice the recoil.

Its also one of my most accurate pistols...easily outshoots any auto I have; other than a SIG p229 in .357sig I keep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top