Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 8:28:21 AM EDT
I just picked up a bunch of remington 8 pellet managed recoil buck/slugs.  Upon further research, they're only 2 3/4 dram.  Anyone think this will cycle my Benelli?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the Remington managed recoil slugs and buck exclusively in my M1S90.  No cycling problems whatsoever.  The buckshot also gives the tightest groups of anything that I have tried, which is most everything since I spent almost $90 buying one box of every kind of buckshot and slugs I could buy from Natchez to pattern my Benelli.  My M1S90 also eats 2 3/4 dram STS 7 1/2 birdshot all day long.

Andy
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I use reduced recoil Ranger 00 buck and slugs in my M2 and haven't had any problems at all.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
when I fired reduced recoil buck from the shoulder it worked fine, but if held underarm it is not 100% reliable unless you really clamp down on it.  I see that as a  problem in a close quarters home defense situation, perhaps if you only had one hand on it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Ran some of the slugs through my M2 this past weekend.  I fired 3 rounds from 100 yards.  I called it quits after 3 shots.  WAY too much recoil.  Hurt like a sonofa.  Also take into consideration that I broke the gun in with full hunting loads.  Either way, they provide too much recoil for my tastes.  Use some of the ranger law enforcement slugs if you want a LOT less recoil.  It does cost a bit more though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are complaining about recoil you're probably not holding your shotgun correctly.  I'm 5'4" and 135 lbs. and I can shoot high powered rifles all day.

Others, thanks...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I think that load would cycle my M1 S90 . But as a rule idont "fool" around w/ reduced recoil . The Benelli is a recoil operated gun why would I use reduced loads . I have heard and tend to belive that the reducted loads can throw a much tighter pateren then my personal favoite S&B 12 00B in each shell "Max" load .

The S&B's dont have any shotcupand a disk instead of a star crimp , so that "may" spread it a little more as well . But a MAX load w/ 3 extra pellets per is my trade off....+ they are cheap .

Of course the fact that im out in the O Zone tring to come up with "THE" choke my not be helping my patterns ....I'm thinking "outside the box"

FWIW I regularly shoot the cheapo promo shells from wallyworld and they cycle fine . YOU CAN create a stopage with these cheap shells if you hold the gun very tight into your shoulder so there isnt any recoil ! You almost have to try to do it , and w/ pheasant loads on up it cycles fine .

ALSO hanging lights and /or stuff on it will reduce the recoil (reliability) with cheap shells , agian anything pheasent and up ...no worryies . But I like cheap shells so a heat shield and "Big head Saftey" (lefthanded) are the only ticking out i've done .

One of the most impressive guns I've ever owned . BTW it got very reliabale after 2-3 boxes of "git some" shells 20-30 slugs might be in order .....but no whimps w/ the slugs unless you want to here whinning !!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#7]
My M1s90 eats everything I feed it (including light bird/trap shot) even when fired from the hip. Gotta love it!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Took it out today and put 30 full power slugs through it and 15 managed recoil slugs, 5 managed recoil buck, and it worked FLAWLESSLY in my M4.

Maybe my M4 is a keeper. :)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, but I think I know how to hold my shotgun properly.  Obviously you haven't fired the remmington slugs or bucks yet, which is why you were asking.  I have.  I gave you my experience with said loads, and if you don't like the response then that is fine. I fired 100 hunting loads with my benelli, (per instructions on recommended break in procedure) which by that time my shoulder had become a bit tender.  I simply wont respond in future threads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Like I said, I put a bunch of slugs through it yesterday.  I was shooting bulk boxes of slugs like it was my AR.  Learn proper marksmanship fundamentals and you will not be sore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]
My friend's Benelli m4 handled the lo-recoil remington slugs just fine, as well as the cheap wal-mart promo loads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Like I said, I put a bunch of slugs through it yesterday.  I was shooting bulk boxes of slugs like it was my AR.  Learn proper marksmanship fundamentals and you will not be sore.

When you say a "bunch" you mean 50 correct? After 50 rounds of full hunting loads, I had no problems with my shoulder at all.  So you are comparing your 50 rounds fired to my 120 rounds? That's hardly similar at all.  Again, learn how to count and then you can talk about comparing your "marksmanship fundamentals" to mine.  You have not seen my "marksmanship fundamentals," thus your judgement is obviously flawed.  Again, 50 is not 120.  Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Whatever man.  I'm not going to argue with you.  I'm 5'4" and 135 lbs and I can shoot this kind of stuff all day long.  If you can't, it sounds like a personal problem.

My friends think I'm nuts too...but I have never, to date, felt, "painful" recoil.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have shot a case of 00 buck and about 150 slugs out of my benelli M1 S90 tactical in one sitting, and never had any problem with painful recoil. Then again I shoot about 1k rounds out of my shotguns a month.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Agreed.  I guess you just get used to it.  Either way, the topic of this thread wasn't recoil, it was the reliability of using managed recoil loads in my Benelli M4.

I want to use them because I can shoot faster with them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't get too fast as you can cause a stoppage . It's easy to clear quickly , but it miffs you the first couple (4-5 times) . You "almost" have to try to do it .

Yesterday I shot some "Estate" shells .....3 Dr= w/ 1 1/8oz. They are filfthy and darkened my custom Krylon camo ! They cycled it but they didnt like it much ...

For "cheap shells" I'm going to stick to 3 1/4Dr=  w/ 1 oz . Which what Winch. loads as a promo Walmart shell .

S&B 00 buck w/ 12 pellets per is my standard stashing load . I've seen pictures of S&B now w/ 9 ???

ETA for slugs I used to buy ...Promo Winch in the 15 pack for $6 . Wallyworld was the only place I saw them and they havent had them in a while .

You can hold it anyway you want .....sighting them in at 100yds PRONE they do pop you pretty good .

I couldnt help but think of a thread about the M4's clogging with sand ....I love my 100yd Rifle / Shotgun .... But god forbid "drop it in the sand " I dont think it would do too good . On the other hand you could probably piss on it to clean out the sand
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I've used Rem and Federal reduced recoil in my Benelli M4 and it works flawlessly...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top