Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2009 8:48:11 PM EDT
I have been given a decent ammount of red dot powder that is very old and in a cardbord container (factory original Hercules).  This has been stored correctly.  I also was given a sm. metal can of Hercules red dot also.  I smelled each container and none smell foul of acidic.  I then poured about 3 ounces of each out into seperate tubs and noticed that the flakes were both grey and black in color.  

Does anyone have any RED DOT to do this same test,  just so i know if this is normal?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 2:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have and use Red Dot, mainly because like you I received a large amount of it for next to nothing. I would say that it is in fact "black and grey", but don't know that that is really an accurate way to determine if it is good or not.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 2:55:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Does it have red dots sprinkled in? If so, then it's Red Dot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 4:13:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I loaded up an old cardboard keg of red dot in cast 45acp loads.  It worked pretty good.  I wish I had bought more of it compared to the tightgroup I did buy.  Tightgroup smokes the Precision coated bullets.

Link Posted: 2/9/2009 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does it have red dots sprinkled in? If so, then it's Red Dot.

LOL, yes i know that, and yes it does, i am positive it is red dot, thats not my question.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it smells okay and there is no red dust, it's okay.

Pouring it out i noticed that there was a dust comming out, but it smells fine and there is no red dust on the powder as it sits.  The dust that came off it looked black/grey, and there was a little residue left on the hopper that was def. black/grey.
Should i Chrono it against published velocity to see if it's way off?
I loaded 50 9mm 124gr. rem. hp's.  using the Lee manual @4.4gr (4.3 min. 4.5 max) 1.130"COAL  (min. COAL 1.120")
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]
From your description you don't have any problem yet.  Powder lasts a long time if properly stored.  

I would not be concerned about using it.  But, I would use it first because it is old powder.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From your description you don't have any problem yet.  Powder lasts a long time if properly stored.  

I would not be concerned about using it.  But, I would use it first because it is old powder.

Yea, thats kind of what i want to do, since i was given 4lbs. this from a guy who dont reload anymore.  It's in the old school cardboard keg. "Hercules".  I know it was stored correctly though.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, i shot this powder today in 9mm and it chrno'd right at what the book said, so i deff. happy.  All shots were very accurate and extracted perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top