Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 4:29:26 PM EDT
Hi,

I came across a listing for Pakistani surplus .308 ammo at www.ammunitionstore.com/ for $69 for 500 rounds.
It's listed as:
Pakistani, 80's mfg.
147 grain FMJ
Brass case, berdan primed, non-corrosive

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried this ammo and is this about the same quality as Indian surplus ammo? I already ordered a couple battle packs of the South African surplus ammo, but I was wondering if the Pakastani surplus is a decent quality ammo also.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd stick with the South African stuff for a while and keep an eye out for bad news on the Pakistani stuff. I have no experience with it, but I do know the SA stuff is decent.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If I can't drink their water, I won't shoot their ammo. Stick to ammo from first world countries. Or at least second.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard horror stories.

As a general rule, No OFV/Indian and No Pakis for me.  Get the South African.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:07:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up !
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't heard any horror stories, just a bunch of guys afraid to shoot it because Pakistan is geographically close to India (which has bad ammo on the market).  It's along the same lines that someone heard Mexican ammo sucks so USA ammo has to suck too since we're close.

Of course, if anyone has specific negative reports, I'll say it sucks

With that said, I have shot 250+ of this ammo as a test and while it was a bit dirty, it was consistent and it all went bang.  No mangled brass, no blown primers, no duds.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I actually came across some interesting threads over on a CETME forums on Paki ammo. Most of the reviews said it was decent ammo and there were only a few complaints were people purchased the ammo and several boxes contained ammo that had questionable corrosion on the casing.

Additionally, I searched over on falfiles.com and came across several threads where members had purchased cases of it from Centruy recently and there were a couple of range reports on the ammo. It appears that it is decent quality ammo.

Anyways, it's kind of pointless because a member over on falfiles.com informed me that theammunitionstore.com is currently out of stock.

I think there might be some confusion over this ammo, and it's being associated with the Indian surplus ammo that is currently available.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're willing to accept a one time sample of 20 rounds...............

When I took delivery of my FAL I asked my FFL what he had in .308 on the shelf. He charges 10 bucks for a transfer so I always try to buy some ammo from him in appreciation. I already had some South African I was going to use. He had some commercial stuff, but suggested a box of military surplus. 4.00 for 20 rounds. I got a box and it turned out to be Pak. "L2A2" from around '80 IIRC. I measured a few rounds and the length was ok. No corrosion, although the brass was dull.

I used it to break in my barrel per the mfg instructions, set the gas system and check zero. Since I was cleaning after every round initially and after awhile after every few rounds, I can't comment on how clean it was. There was no unburned powder. All rounds went bang. All hit the Bushmaster 25 meter target I was using.

Since he's on the way to the range, I'll probably drop by and pick up some more. As long as it's in the same shape as the first box I think it would be fine. I don't know if I could chrono it since the rifle range is pretty shady and I have a hard time getting a good read on my Chrony.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#9]
What about the other ammunition on that site like:
OFV, 70's,  NATO spec.
147 grain Copper FMJ
Brass case, boxer primed, non-corrosive  $60 for 400rnds.

What is this, isn't that a good price?

Also couldn't we use the M60 linked ammo, after removing from the links? $250 for 1000 rnds is also ok if it is as good as they say Port ammo is.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
OFV, 70's,  NATO spec.
147 grain Copper FMJ
Brass case, boxer primed, non-corrosive  $60 for 400rnds. What is this, isn't that a good price?

The OFV (Indian) M80 manufactured in the 70's is good ammo. I recently bought 5000 rds of it and have had good service with it. I have reloaded some of the brass just to see how it would do. So far, the brass has been very good. You won't win any matches with this ammo, but it produces decent groups ut of my M1A and the two FALs that I have fired it through. That price is a little high considering that South African surplus is still available at a somewhat reasonable price. I paid just over 7 cents per round delivered for the Indian.

Also couldn't we use the M60 linked ammo, after removing from the links? $250 for 1000 rnds is also ok if it is as good as they say Port ammo is.

Assuming that you are referring to the FNM Port on M60 links, I have a little over 1000 rds of this ammo. It is excellent ammo. It isn't quite as accurate as the battle pack Port was, but it is still excellent ammo.
For me, the line is set at  .18 c per round out the door/delivered. If it costs more than this, I will reload.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OFV, 70's,  NATO spec.
147 grain Copper FMJ
Brass case, boxer primed, non-corrosive  $60 for 400rnds. What is this, isn't that a good price?

The OFV (Indian) M80 manufactured in the 70's is good ammo. I recently bought 5000 rds of it and have had good service with it. I have reloaded some of the brass just to see how it would do. So far, the brass has been very good. You won't win any matches with this ammo, but it produces decent groups ut of my M1A and the two FALs that I have fired it through. That price is a little high considering that South African surplus is still available at a somewhat reasonable price. I paid just over 7 cents per round delivered for the Indian.

I bought some that appears to be made in '02 and its been good stuff so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top