Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 8:49:36 PM EDT
I keep meaning to call him and check up on the status of his product improved "Black-T" finish.

Seems he is working on a formulation that has ceramic in it, and he feels that when perfected, it will set a whole new standard in firearms finishes.

So... Anyone talk with him of late, and do they know if his "Ceramic-T" is in use?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Patriot,

Here's a clipped comment I found regarding Birdson's coating treatment:

...The newest coating in the knife industry is the Black-T(R), this is a VERY
well done Teflon(R) coating developed for the arms trade and with wide
industry uses.  It is the toughest Teflon(R) finish I have ever seen, even
tougher than the great hostaflon finishes we put on our Sting(TM) in Germany.
While Teflon(R) has been available on knives for over 20 years this new
method seems to be a lot better than any use of it I have seen before.
This finish is being offered on a few of the Benchmade knives and is being
looked at by all of the other knife companies.  This process is extremely
complex and the developer, Mr. Walter Birdsong tells me that they will coat
your entire pistol, rifle, shotgun (except the bore).  All internal parts
will be forever protected from rust.  Mr. Birdsong can be reached at
601-939-7448.

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Blaster, thanks for the heads up, but I'm pretty sure that your info relates to "regular" Black-T.

I talked to Walter in late Sept., and at the time, he expected his new blend to be ready and available early this year. He told me to envision the best aspects of his Black-T (lubricity and corrosion resistance) combined with wear characteristics unseen in any Teflon based finish.
This stuff will actually have a hardness that is measurable on the Rockwell scale!

I can't wait!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I would love to send him more stuff,  but waiting 3 months to have a gun done just kills me.

The quality of my Birdsong-coated guns is superb.  After 600 rounds, I can see no wear whatsoever on the bolt/carrier or on the inside of my upper receiver.  The same goes for all other parts of the rifle.

The only wear that my Birdsong guns have exhibited is from me messing around and inflicting accidental damage while installing/uninstalling new parts. Damage that would occur to any finish, incl. park and bluing I'm sure. [>(]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Well now, I can wait 3 mos. I'll be giving him a call sometime then to give my babies a new hide.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess I am pretty fortunate.  I live about 5 miles from Walter and I go by on a regular basis.  His son Wally and I are pretty good friends and I have know Walter for about 20 years.  He has had some health problems, but is recovering in spite of his doctors.  As to the new finish, Wally, (Walter's son), told me the new finish is tough as nails and it comes in both the Black-T and NATO-Green color.  I had an Israeli HB Fal coated and it looks to nice to shoot.  I can see no wear on the finish and the action is smooth as glass.  It greatly improved the trigger pull.  About the 3 month wait, I just go over on Saturday morning with a 6 pack and Walley and I knock em out.  If you ask, Walter will take you out back and let you shoot his Barrett M82-A1 or maybe on of the 2500 MP5-10mm's he was coating.  BTW  the new S&W stealth hunter .44mag is finished in the Birdsong Green.  I am not a fan of S&W, but it is a sweet revolver.

Rick
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:33:59 AM EDT
[#6]
wonder where those 2500 10mm MP5s are going...Im jealous
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Fastback, you must be very close to me.  I'm in Byram off I-55.  Good to see another MS member on the site.  Welcome.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Guess I'm about 12 miles away.  Love my now non-Purple Pre-Ban Bushmaster!  Green and Black-T, 2 uppers (20" Colt 1/7 A2 and 1/7 HBAR), Black-T mags, too.

This is good news, about the finish.  Hope Walter is well soon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
wonder where those 2500 10mm MP5s are going...Im jealous

Wasn't he in charge of coating all of thr FBI's guns?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone got contact info ?

Heck, if it's in MS and I ever decide to get a gun done.. I could drive a drop it off, save me the $20 shipping and return shipping.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#11]
JDP, that's what he told me.

AG, here it is, better call and get directions prior to leaving:

1435 Monterey Rd
Florence, Mississppi 39073
(601) 939-7448
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#12]
OK?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top