Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 2:28:10 PM EDT
There is a SLIM chance I can bug out of work early tomorrow and try my new FAL. My choice is the recent AIM S African or some Portugese I had rather keep.

If so, what was your gas setting?

Thanks, if I get to go I'll post my results.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot lots of it and works fine, it was made for FAL's.  My gas system is pretty well hit but I could run it on 4 or 5 on my full length or 0 on my 16" ( I have to run everything on 0 in my 16" .)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, NoHarm. Good to hear as I have a good deal of it and I haven't gotten around to opening a battle pack! I have a 21" barrel, so I guess I'll just go by the manual and see where I wind up. 4 or 5 is my uneducated guess.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
echo on the SA.

seems to run the same as port  - ie. gas setting
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Alsmost as good as port; setting at 4 on mine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Alsmost as good as port; setting at 4 on mine.

+1, running 4 on mine.  Love that stuff.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#6]
good ammo
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm new to FAL's so I haven't shot many diff types of ammo through mine yet. So far aside from a few boxes of Santa Barbara, I've only shot the SA stuff. Worked great. picked up 3 cases from AIM when I was sure that the rifle and I were both happy with it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Adjustable Gas System=shoot whatever the hell ammo you want. (including SA)

Ive gone through about 2k rds of SA in 6 different FAL's, no problems.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
One of my favorite ranges just excluded bullets that are attacted to a magnet.  Port is attracted, I think SA is not.  Makes SA more desireable to me now.  
Port is more accurate in my guns so I won't dump my stockpile.

When I tried shooting them side by side at the range(one after the other) accuracy was bad for both.  The fouling from SA messed up accuracy with port or vice-versa.  

A crate of SA will keep you busy blasting even if it's not the best ammo you may find for your gun.  The best ammo for your gun may be $0.50/rd or more.  A bit much for blasting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I was able to bug out Thursday afternoon and started breaking in the barrel. Got eight rounds through, cleaning with Sweat's 7.62 after each shot.  Had the place to myself. Returned Saturday and finished up the 20 round breakin before anyone else showed up. I used 20 rounds of Pakistani I bought from my FFL when I picked up the rifle. I've heard bad things about it, but it was pretty accurate and it isn't dirty at all- when you clean your barrel after every shot! I used a 12" red target at 100 yards under poor lighting conditions. The sun was low and filtering thru some trees, hard to see the red, so I was using older targets on the board to judge by. However,  all of my rounds hit the paper and half were in the bull. I was hitting high, so I compensated. I'll tinker with the front site next time out.

After ten rounds I was able to shoot 2 and clean, when people started to show up. I broke out some South African and mounted a Bushnell 3200 I use on my AR. Spent some time mounting it since all the bolts don't fit the rail- got 3 of 4 to fit. Got that dialed in and also shot some using the iron sights visible under the YHM bases. After 40 rounds my shoulder was starting to feel it- para stocks weren't designed for comfort!

About that time a guy showed up with two Sharps. A .45-70 and a .55-10(?). I shot the .45-70 and discovered a great way not to flinch. It has a double trigger, and I thought the FRONT trigger was used to set! What a surprise. He got it from C Sharps, and the triggers are fabulous. He was retired FBI and was in Mobile while I lived there. Had a great time recalling old football players and other personalities. All in all a GREAT day. Hope yours was as good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm glad that the day went well...

If only all of them could be so good...

Let us know how the FAL continues to shoot...

Forrest

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top