Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 10:46:30 AM EDT
I've been using CB's and CB shorts to pop starlings in the back yard. If possible I'd like something quieter. The Aguila sniper subsonic 60 grain (i believe this is what they are) only suggest to shoot them out of a handgun/pistol. Was wondering if they're quieter than the CB's and can be shot from a 16' barrel rifle?

Most of my shots on starlings are within 20 yards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:51:44 AM EDT
Maybe I'm thinking of the Colobri? Can someone please help me identify these... I'm talking about the round that only uses the primer as a propellent, not powder.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:01:27 AM EDT
Your talking about Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri rounds. I shoot them out of a Romainian Cugir single shot .22 with a 24" or thereabouts barrel. Its pretty lethal out to about 15 or 20 yards and makes absolutely no noise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:18:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:23:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By michaelj1978:
I've been using CB's and CB shorts to pop starlings in the back yard. If possible I'd like something quieter. The Aguila sniper subsonic 60 grain (i believe this is what they are) only suggest to shoot them out of a handgun/pistol. Was wondering if they're quieter than the CB's and can be shot from a 16' barrel rifle?

Yer thinking of the colibri and super colibri.

They are both pretty good out of a 10/22, you don't hear jack if you have a suppressor on the gun. it's about on par with a cap gun without one. THe longer the barrel the quieter the sound obviously.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:55:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:28:39 PM EDT

Also I believe the manufacturer recommends against using the Colibri in rifles due to the potential of a stuck bullet in the barrel due to longer length compared to a pistol

That happened when I tried them in my CZ V22 upper. They work fine in my Mark I though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:42:09 PM EDT
Well I call it Aguila, It won't cycle in my 10/22 but I used to have a Henry 22lr Lever Action that I shot it out of. You have to be careful though. They don't reccomend shooting their powderless 22lr ammo through rifles because they tend to squib.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:20:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 8:21:01 PM EDT by GarrettJ]
I have been told that the original Colibri was for handguns only, and the Super Colibri was okay for rifles. I know I have shot a bunch of Super Colibri through a CZ452 with nothing stuck in the barrel.

Accuracy isn't nearly as good as with "regular" ammo, but it's really quiet.

You also will need to clean the barrel after every 10 rounds or so. The primer compound leaves a residue in the barrel that really hurts accuracy. I imagine that it gets burned off by the gunpowder in normal ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:22:19 PM EDT
BTW, the POI seems to be noticably lower with the Super Colibris than with regular ammo. You might want to check where you are hitting before going after back yard vermin.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:31:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:
I forget twist rates right now, but a higher twist rate really helps accuracy with these. But they are minute of stray cat for 40' in most any gun, even a Marlin lever action.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:22:16 AM EDT
I have shot them off in my CMP 22 trainers fine and they have 28" heavy barrels.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:48:27 AM EDT

damn! a 16 foot barrel!!! you could almost reach out and swat them starlings away!

the aguila is just subsonic but it's still more powerful (louder) than cb rounds, i believe. i've heard a lot of stories that the sss round is very inaccurate out of a rifle for some reason. something to do with the length of the round or something...

cb's on the other hand can be shot out of a bolt action with no accuracy problems.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:57:04 AM EDT
Cabelas didn't have any Aguila's in stock. I probably wouldn't have gotten them anyways. I picked up 50 CB shorts and 50 CB longs for about 5 bucks each. Quite expensive, but they're worth it for controlling my backyard's animal population and not making the neighbors freak. I can sit and plink too and they think I'm just shooting an air gun. Most shots though are through the kitchen window so I doubt anyone can hear them at all. The inside of the house makes a great silencer.

I also picked up 1,000 rounds of Wolf 7.62, 122grn fmj with 2 plastic .50 cal ammo boxes for 74bucks.

And a 10 pack of surefire's batteries for 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:42:12 AM EDT
I've shot them out of my CBC/Magtech 7022, since my 7022s action is comparable to that of an AR15, it was way to heavy to cycle. The main problem you will encounter is them not being powerful enough to cycle the action of a semi-automatic rifle. Another problem is they do not fit in the mag quite right. But if you have a single shot or bolt action rifle, you shouldn't have a problem.

-FOX-
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:48:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 7:48:55 AM EDT by fight4yourrights]
Yep, shot one from a Remington 504 in my basement.

Quieter than the .177 pellet gun, I think

Put the same dent into a piece of fiberglass as the pellet gun too (1000 fps)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:21:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:

damn! a 16 foot barrel!!! you could almost reach out and swat them starlings away!

the aguila is just subsonic but it's still more powerful (louder) than cb rounds, i believe. i've heard a lot of stories that the sss round is very inaccurate out of a rifle for some reason. something to do with the length of the round or something...

cb's on the other hand can be shot out of a bolt action with no accuracy problems.

The SSS is inaccurate out of most rifles because most .22lr rifles have to slow a twist rate to stablise the bullet. It requires a 1/9.5 twist where most .22lrs are 1/16
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:41:11 AM EDT
yes all the time
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:49:10 AM EDT
They work, but they don't ramp from the magazine, so it's like a single shot bolt action when using them. I've shot pack-rats with them and they are on par with a pellet gun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:27:31 PM EDT
The Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri use a 20 grain bullet with no powder (just primer). Colibri does about 375fps and Super Colibri does about 550fps. The Aguila SSS uses a 60 grain bullet with what appears to be a .22 short case (with powder) pushing it to a good bit higher velocity (still subsonic), and is a lot louder than the Colibri/Super Colibri. Both of the Colibri types are so quiet in my Remington Nylon 77 that all I can hear is the hammer drop. I've taken a lot of squirrels using Super Colibri and a few using regular Colibri. Most of them have been ~20 yard shots, and about 80% of the time it completely penetrates (exits) them at that range. The biggest thing I've gotten with the Super Colibri is a good sized rabbit that was out at about 30 yards. One shot kill. I don't think I'd try to push it any further than that though. Anyway, I love the stuff. It's great for folks who live near someone who would otherwise complain about noise.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:40:01 PM EDT
I shoot the Super Colibri all the time out of my Norinco JW-15. I have yet to have a stuck bullet. It is so quiet that all you hear is the striker click. It is potent enough for small critters as I have killed a few rats, gophers and small birds with them.

My friend shoots them out of his Marlin semi-auto, but he has to cycle the action himself as it is too weak. He shot some out of his old Remingtion fieldmaster pump, but for some reason, he was getting stuck bullets in it. He had one round stop right at the end of the barrel and almost fall out. I think it has something to do with the type of rifling the barrel has, because the Marlin and my Norinco shoot it fine but the Remington slows the bullets down too much.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:21:13 AM EDT
I use Colibri and Super Colibri both out of a Savage MkII bolt rifle. I've gone through about 1500 of them so far without any squibs. They've been near flawless, but word is their conical shape can leave a lot of lead in the chamber.

Been paying about $20 a brick to the door, sometimes less.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:52:23 PM EDT
I got two cases of the Super Colibri when they were on sale for $5 a brick at Cheaper Than Dirt sometime back. I need to trade some of that off for some Walmart bulk boxes or something as I don't really use the stuff much....so far anyways.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 10:33:24 PM EDT by NAVYRETIRED1]
I've been using CB caps (conical bullet, no powder only primer) and BB caps (ball bullet, no powder only primer) for thirty years for pest control out of a 552 remington like the man said you only hear the bolt moving a little but won't eject. I think the're pretty close to colbri although I have'nt tried it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:03:39 PM EDT
My 10/22 wont feed them.
My m261 will feed them, however you have to cycle the bolt manually. I have pellet guns louder than them out of my 20in hbar.
I can't remember if they cycle in my bobcat or not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:13:23 PM EDT
I shoot them out of my 10/22, an old single shot bolt action, my Glock 17 with Advantage Arms conversion kit, and occacasionally out of my AR with Ciener .22 conversion kit. I've never tried shooting any critters with the Colibri rounds, but it is fun and super quiet for plinking in my basement or sniping cattails in the marsh behind my house.
Top Top