Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2006 1:10:00 PM EDT
I tried for  a long time to get a LOE to sign for NFA weapons with no luck but when we elected our current sheriff he had been saying he wouldn't have a problem with signing if elected. After he was elected I decided to try to SBR a Uzi I had just to see if he would sign it. I called his office and his secretary said no problem just drop them off and we will call you when they are ready. I went home thinking we finally had a sheriff that wasn't a communist but I was wrong. I few weeks went by and I didn't hear anything so I call to check up on my paperwork when the lies started. First it was "he doesn't have time right now because he is getting ready for a big meeting with all the sheriffs in the state". Two weeks later when I called after he was back from his meeting she said "he needs to talk with other sheriffs first to decide if he's liable if he signs" even though he had just come from a week long meeting with all the sheriffs in the state. A few weeks later I tried again and was told he was holding off on signing them because he was currently investigating someone he had signed for. After several more attempts and a bunch more stories I asked her for a face to face meeting with him to discuss it and she told me she would call me with a time but it's no surprise they never called. After one more call for a meeting that wasn't returned I gave up even though I voted for this A$$ hat.

A year later I have found out that with a trust I don't need him and have a form 4 approved and on its way back.Now I want to politely write him a letter and explain my point of view on the way he treated me and that in the end he didn't prevent my from owning a weapon that I'm legal to own. All of my friends and my wife say I'm crazy to tell the sheriff that he pissed me off but I want the jerk to know he made me mad and that I will not be voting for him again.

What do you all think?
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it. I would, but I am a glutton for punishment.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Inform him of your new acquisition despite his hypocrisy

Do NOT tell him how you did it

Let him contact YOU if he wants to know

eta: Which county?  Who is the CLEO?
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Lee County,Sheriff Mike Scott
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you include a paragraph about how you intend to work tirelessly to get his lying ass thrown out of office in the next election.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I would love to say that but I'm afraid they will all be antigun and I wouldn't want to help any of the communist bastards. Even if they are I will have to vote for someone else.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just my .02, let it go.  You got the guns.  Don't need the guy harassing you every time you wanna shoot them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Explain in a letter (registered mail) that by not signing he forces (and thus allows) individuals to obtain these weapons/devices through perfectly legal means (include copies of relivant ATF regs) without undergoing any sort of background check like what would have occurred if he had signed.

Ask him what his Liability is if someone commits a violent act with a weapon they would not have gotten if only he had done his job and signed thereby causing the background check to occur?  Inform him that he has now been officially and verifiably warned through your registered letter of the ramifications of his actions and wish him a good afternoon.

B
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Explain in a letter (registered mail) that by not signing he forces (and thus allows) individuals to obtain these weapons/devices through perfectly legal means (include copies of relivant ATF regs) without undergoing any sort of background check like what would have occurred if he had signed.

Ask him what his Liability is if someone commits a violent act with a weapon they would not have gotten if only he had done his job and signed thereby causing the background check to occur?  Inform him that he has now been officially and verifiably warned through your registered letter of the ramifications of his actions and wish him a good afternoon.

B

PLEASE don't send him anything like that^^^^^!

I would let him forget I even existed, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#10]
My goal really isn't to pick a fight but instead I would love for it to spark a conversation between us about NFA paperwork. I would like for him to realize that his signature is saying his office isn't currently investigating me for any crimes and is not asking for his permission. I would love to ask why he thinks he knows better than ATF and FBI who is legal to own NFA firearms. If nothing else I would love to tell him that I personally feel that an elected officials job is to serve the people but the power shouldn't give them the ability to try block legal American citizens rights just because they disagree with those rights.    
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:02:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't get into a discussion with the sheriff about it.  I would just create a living trust and get on with my NFA purchases.  In the meanwhile, I would work to get a law passed in my state similar to Tennessee's law:

39-17-1361. Execution of documents by sheriff or chief of police.

The sheriff or chief of police of the city of residence of a person purchasing any firearm, defined by the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. § 5845 et seq., shall execute within fifteen (15) business days of any request all documents required to be submitted by the purchaser if the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to § 39-17-1316.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wouldn't get into a discussion with the sheriff about it.  I would just create a living trust and get on with my NFA purchases.  In the meanwhile, I would work to get a law passed in my state similar to Tennessee's law:

39-17-1361. Execution of documents by sheriff or chief of police.

The sheriff or chief of police of the city of residence of a person purchasing any firearm, defined by the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. § 5845 et seq., shall execute within fifteen (15) business days of any request all documents required to be submitted by the purchaser if the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to § 39-17-1316.

OUTSTANDING!

Especially since the Miami-Dade county CLEO is appointed
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I have never tried to get a law passed so where would you start? Has anyone tried this in Florida? I would be very interested in doing anything I can to make that a law in Florida but my guess is that it would be hard to get passed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#15]
You might start by contacting The Unified Sportsmen of Florida.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

B

PLEASE don't send him anything like that^^^^^!

I would let him forget I even existed, but that's just me.

+1 to that.  I know it would be great to tell these type of people off but in the end its bad for you to do that...
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
An elected official is there to listen to the people, if he cant take the time to read and understand where you are coming from, then he doesnt deserve to be in officer and I wouldnt hesitate to tell him that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#18]
My post above was a bit on the sarcastic side but the fact remains that Sheriff's such as this one need to be educated about the ramifications of their actions.

This should always be done respectfully, curtiously and professionally...but as in the case of the original post, the CLEO wont even return a phone call.  I believe that 9 times out of 10 the CLEO honestly believes that by not signing he is preventing the acquisition of the item.  We all know this is not the case.  A trust, or corp or LLC will get it done...and rightly or wrongly without any investigation into the background of the individual.

I doubt many CLEO's know this, and if they understood the facts they would likely change their position...to everyones benefit.

B
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would love to say that but I'm afraid they will all be antigun and I wouldn't want to help any of the communist bastards. Even if they are I will have to vote for someone else.

So, you are saying he isn't anti?  He didn't sign right?  What does that mean to you then?  Sounds anti to me.  I would write him a letter.  I would not be a dick but i'd let him know that you voted for him because he said he'd sign but now will not.  Tell him he wont get your vote next election.

I e-mail'd my cleo about signing.  I was a bit nervous, kinda thought he might not be up on all the details on class 3 and would say no.  I was supprised when he said to drop it off and that someone at the station would fingerprint me for free (usually a fee).  I dropped the paperwork off, got finger printed and  a day later he said come and get it.  He was not there when i picked it up but i did send him an e-mail thanking him.  He replied "any time".
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]
In Jonesboro, AR they got a new CoP a year or so ago. (I lived there at the time) despite promising to sign once in office he flatly refused as soon as he moved in.  Within one week enough people had started enough shit he started signing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

So, you are saying he isn't anti?  He didn't sign right?  What does that mean to you then?  Sounds anti to me.  I would write him a letter.  I would not be a dick but i'd let him know that you voted for him because he said he'd sign but now will not.  Tell him he wont get your vote next election.

And that you'll do your level best to make sure ALL your friends and family don't vote for him either.

Politicians are scum.  They only have one concern: getting reelected.  If he thinks this position will ultimately force him to get a real job, he just might change his tune.  And if he won't, then throw the bum out of office and let him work as a security guard at the mall.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Have you investigated the possibility of someone else signing?  Are there any SOT's in your area who can point you to someone who will sign?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
In Jonesboro, AR they got a new CoP a year or so ago. (I lived there at the time) despite promising to sign once in office he flatly refused as soon as he moved in.  Within one week enough people had started enough shit he started signing.

Wilton Manors, Fl, old chief signed for me, new cheif as of 6 months back said he'd sign. I dropped off the paperwork and he called me a week later (well, had secretary call) to say "he didn't feel comfortable signing". I had the sheriff's rep sign, so it didn't kill the deal, but it delayed things by a week or three because of timing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Had the same problem with Mike Scott said he would sign before being elected then once elected wont sign. The sad thing is that the previous Sheriff would sign, we need to vote this guy out in the next election thats for sure
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I would NOT say he made you mad. This will be construed as a threat and soon your dog at LEAST will be toast and more likely you and your whole family will be shot in an "accidental address mistake" no-knock home invasion.

I WOULD write him a letter and expess concern about his lack of follow through on his promise and indicate that you WON'T be voting for him again and WILL be actively campaigning for anyone that runs against him.

Also you might explain that by not signing he just forced you to go another route and that it doesn't matter if he signs or not and he might as well start.

what an asshat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top