Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/7/2002 11:36:42 AM EST
I recently read in several places that the best "entry level" tactical rifle was the Winchester Model 70 Stealth...and the authors (experienced snipers and tactical shooters) even said that it was preferable over the Remington 700 PSS or VS!

I found this a bit odd, especially since the Remingtons come with HS Precision stocks versus Winchester's own synthetic stock (albeit it has aluminum rails as well). I also found this odd as the Remington 700 PSS and VS are CONSTANTLY being talked about on this site and there is never any mention of the Winchester.

What are your thoughts on the Winchester Stealth? If you don't have any direct experience with the Winchester, please refrain from replying as I am quite aware of people's love of the Remington 700 PSS and VS, Savages, etc.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:59:42 PM EST
In my opinion the VS, PSS, and the Sendero are much better rifles do to the stocks and the fact that more accessories are available for the Remingtons. I have a VS in 308 and will be picking up my Sendero in 300 win mag at the end of the month. I absolutely love the remmy's. There is a reason why the Marines use a 700 action. I will eventually buy a stealth though. I would like to see how they handle and shoot. Plus you can never have to many long range rifles.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:51:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/7/2002 3:54:01 PM EST by new-arguy]
1st off, I own neither. But I have been reading up on both because I am in the market. FWIW, reading articles over at www.snipercountry.com listed the M70 Stealth made dissasembly of the bolt and easy access to the firing pin as an advantage over the Rem 700's... Something about the safety too if I am not mistaken???
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:54:11 PM EST
Sir, I have a Stealth and a PSS. Both in my opinion are outstanding and with a little tweaking out of the box make them great rifles.
Like anything in life, both have their strengths and weaknesses. Before you purchase, take time and seek someone that has one. Handle it, see how it feels to you personally. Shoot it, not just 2-3 rounds, shoot from standing, prone, bench, etc. That way you can have a realistic evaluation of it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:15:29 PM EST
Its a lot easier to make the decision if you tell yourself that you'll buy the other one later. By the way, what are the stealths runnung?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:26:12 PM EST
Well, the best price online I have found for the Winchester Stealth so far is $548. I think the Remington 700PSS can be had for about $625-650 if you shop really hard.

I do realize that Remingtons have a much wider range of accessories available for them, which is a definite plus. But, $100 is significant...that is why I am curious about the quality of the factory stock from Winchester. The way I see it, the factory stock is what is up for comparison with the Remmy (HS Precision makes good stuff!).
Top Top