Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2012 10:30:03 AM EDT
Since I can't use a rifle for deer in Ohio, and most shots I would take on my father's property in WV would be 100yds or less anyway, I'm considering a semi-auto shotgun purchase. I'd like to hear real owner opinions as opposed to the gun rag reviews.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I like mine and the slugs seem to hit point of aim. But it's my first semi auto shotgun.  It was reliable with everything other than Winchester bulk pack.  If you get the lifter forks welded send it to c-rums and plan on blending the chamber edges.

Or don't get it welded and be careful while loading so you don't get the finger trap.

ETA I got mine for 3 gun and have put at least 1500 rounds through it in 2 years.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I like mine and the slugs seem to hit point of aim. But it's my first semi auto shotgun.  It was reliable with everything other than Winchester bulk pack.  If you get the lifter forks welded send it to c-rums and plan on blending the chamber edges.

Or don't get it welded and be careful while loading so you don't get the finger trap.

ETA I got mine for 3 gun and have put at least 1500 rounds through it in 2 years.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Beware if you are planning to put a scope on it.  I have a SLP which is basically the same gun, and have tried 2 types of rings, and neither one will tighten down enough on the rail.  

Anybody running a scope on one of these?
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the rail is Weaver on the SLP-not Picatinny.  And that was a really dumb move on FN's part IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes the rail on the 22" barreled model is a weaver, and I've tried to fit weaver rings.  They will not work.  I've used 2 types of Warne rings.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 2:57:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Beware if you are planning to put a scope on it.  I have a SLP which is basically the same gun, and have tried 2 types of rings, and neither one will tighten down enough on the rail.  

I would like to put a low power scope or RDS on it as I'm interested in the deer/slug version.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 5:10:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to put a low power scope or RDS on it as I'm interested in the deer/slug version.

That was my plan with the SLP.  I plugged the magazine tube and bought a Burris Tac30 1-4x scope that I haven't gotten to use yet!  Who knows, maybe I just got a dud or something.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my plan with the SLP.  I plugged the magazine tube and bought a Burris Tac30 1-4x scope that I haven't gotten to use yet!  Who knows, maybe I just got a dud or something.

Can anyone speak to this issue and the type of rail on the Winny X3?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long is the plug? I have a SPL and might try using it for deer hunting with slugs too. Just a dowel rod XX inches long?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Double tap...sorry.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry I just have the vent rib version no rail.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Shadow, yes that is pretty much what it is.  I actually used a piece of pvc pipe, I didn't want to use a wood dowel rod because I was afraid the wood would hold moisture, but anything like that would work fine.  I will measure my plug later on and post the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top