Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2002 3:00:40 PM EDT

Just wondering what kind of groups you get?  The best I've ever got was about a 3" group with my Benelli M3.

It's actually pretty fun shooting longer ranges just for kicks.  I was actually surprised how good the slugs shot...
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Y, I shoot Remington copper solids out of my 12 gauge 870 with a fully rifled barrel. They group 2" if I do my job at 100 yards. I have shot deer with them but only at about 30 yards. MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Shot a lot of plain old full caliber 12 gauge slugs at 50 yards, getting about 4" groups.  Some work out to 100 yards, but I'm happy with 8" group at that range.  This from a ghost ring sighted Mossberg 590A1.

Your 3" groups at 100 yards are the best I have ever heard of.  You must be using sabboted rouns and rifled barrel?

Three inches at 100 yards with iron sights is good shooting for a rifle let alone a shotgun!

Let me clarify, I allways shoot 5 rounds for a group and I count ALL of them.

I can get a 3" group at 15 yards with FEderal Tactical 00 buck.  :^)
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, I hate those little fuckers.  Always leaving their slime trail all over my stuff.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yup, I hate those little fuckers.  Always leaving their slime trail all over my stuff.

Dammit Max you just made me blow my own slime trail out of my nose and onto my keyboard!  That's really funny, thanks.

I just measured a 3.5" 4 shot group fired from a Benelli M1 24" fully rifled slug gun. 3 of the 4 shots grouped 2.5".  
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]
BillSp1,

That's only a 3 round 3inch group.  Like I said that's the best I've done not my normal shooting... I can't remember what ammo I was using but I like using the Brenneke slugs.

It's still good fun.

Max_Power,

Yup, I got one of them slimey bastids at 100 yards with buch shot no less, you should have seen the mess...
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just wondering what kind of groups you get?  The best I've ever got was about a 3" group with my Benelli M3.

It's actually pretty fun shooting longer ranges just for kicks.  I was actually surprised how good the slugs shot...

I have done that with my SPAS 12.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The fully rifled barrel, sabot slugs and a scope make big difference.

I am picking up a used Remington 1100 fully rifled, cantilever barrel, with the black synthetic rifle style stock. It has only been used once and comes with a 28" bird barrel with three chokes, all for $500.00.  

I am going to order a extra set of regular black synthetic stocks and using the bird barrel I am giving it to my son for skeet and hunting.

I get to keep the cantilever barrel and rifle stlye stocks for my 1100 during the Long Island January shotgun season.

Not that I need it, it will make my 6th slug gun for deer! I am thinking of a red dot for this one. MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I get to keep the cantilever barrel and rifle style stocks for my 1100 during the Long Island January shotgun season.

Not that I need it, it will make my 6th slug gun for deer! I am thinking of a red dot for this one. MIKE.

Mike,
I'm thinking of using a red dot or Eotech myself. Last year I missed my Long Island shotgun deer, I choked. I think a red dot would help my speed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Hanz, I would hate to know how many slugs I used per Long Island deer shot. Those little fuckers like to run like hell and I like to shoot like hell. I guess that is why I like the L.I. shotgun season so much. Also the fact that you get a new tag on the spot at the check station.

I don't use the copper solids as much as I used to, too expensive. I use the Remington sluggers mostly. The K-mart in Smithtown has a huge supply of 12 gauge copper solids marked $8.00, that is cheap!

I have also heard that some use buckshot. Not legal in NYS as you know. My 870 patterns best with a standard full choke and likes larger buckshot, ooo or oo. 3" or 2 3/4" do not seem to make a difference. But you have to pattern your own gun because they all shoot different. MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I get about 4" at 50 yds with rifle sighted M1S90 smoothbore and Federal 1oz. slugs.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Mossberg 500A - crappy iron sights on factory 24" slug barrel - Remington Slugger 3" magnum 1oz rifled slugs - 3 shots, 100 yards - repeatable 6" groups.  I would have gone for 5 shot groups, but the ATI side folder flexed halfway into my sinus cavity with each shot.  It now wears a Speedfeed fixed stock.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Just did my yearly test-firing of my slug gun, as firearms deer season starts November 16 here in Indiana. I have a Remington 870 "Super Slug" topped with a Nikon Monarch UCC 4X40 scope. It has synthetic furniture, a fully-rifled barrel, and cantilever scope rail. I shoot the Winchester/Nosler Supreme Partition Gold sabot slugs. Shooting off a pillow on a picnic table without any type of rifle rest, I placed 3 shots into less than 2" at 100 yards (laser-rangefinder measured). I took a large whitetail buck at 147 yards with it 2 years ago. Those slugs weigh 385 grains, have a muzzle velocity of 1900+ FPS, and drop exactly 12" at 200 yards on a 100-yard sight-in. They're a little expensive at around $2.50 a shot, but worth every penny.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#13]
My 18 1/2 inch barrel Moosberg 500 Mariner with factory ghost rings can put all 5 slugs into a 3" grouping at 100 yards.
This is from the bench and I am aiming probaly 6 inches above the bullseye.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top