Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/21/2005 2:23:12 PM EDT
I know ya can get surplus pretty reasonably, but what about shooting other 150 grain stuff? PMC has a 30.06 ammo listed as 3006C if I'm not mistaken. The ballistics are the same as the M2 ammo. Most of the other 30.06 150 gr. FMJ ammo is just to high of a velocity for the Garand to take. I know you can get an adjustable gas plug, but I don't think it will help much in so far as protecting your rifle even if you are firing new commercial ammo. Cole Distributing carried some FN ammo that is loaded to M2 specs, but they are always outta stock.

Ken
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:44:30 PM EDT
I've shot commercial ammo in mine. Some will flame you for doing so, some won't. In my studies, some say the garand gas action is more durable than the M1A. Some say only shoot M2 ball. FWIW, mine hasn't blown up yet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:44:04 PM EDT
I do it all the time. Never had a problem in the 20 years or so that I have been shooting Garands. .
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:26:12 PM EDT
The GCA recommends American Eagle 3006 FMJ ball as good quality commercial Garand Ammo.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:17:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JJREA:
I've shot commercial ammo in mine. Some will flame you for doing so, some won't. In my studies, some say the garand gas action is more durable than the M1A. Some say only shoot M2 ball. FWIW, mine hasn't blown up yet.

Military surplus is generally loaded hotter than commercial loads, especially Korean. I have been shooting commercial 150 gr '06 through Garands for many, many years, nothing wrong with it ay all. Keep it at 150 grain with clean primers and powder and you are good to go.

PS.......IMHO, stay far, far away from Greek Olympic ammo. Cases like to swell in the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:33:57 AM EDT
I've shot *snicker* steel cased russian .30-06 in mine. Not so much as a hiccup. Non-corrosive, and not nearly as pricey as the non-cor usgi surplus.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:19:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 6:22:00 AM EDT by JJREA]

Originally Posted By patriot73:

Military surplus is generally loaded hotter than commercial loads, especially Korean. I have been shooting commercial 150 gr '06 through Garands for many, many years, nothing wrong with it ay all. Keep it at 150 grain with clean primers and powder and you are good to go.

PS.......IMHO, stay far, far away from Greek Olympic ammo. Cases like to swell in the chamber.

The Lake City I have from the CMP is definitely not hotter than commercial loads. The spec for M2 ball is much milder than any commercial loading. I don't know who's tables you're reading. M2 ball has a spec of 2779 fps (or somewhere right around there). Tell me which commercial loading has that low of a velocity spec besides PMC's version of M2 ball?? One of the guys on battlerifles chrono'd his lake city out of his Garand and it was humming along at 2550 fps. Now the greek HXP that the cmp is selling is not that slow. Although I've not chrono'd it, it "feels" about as stout as any of the commerical loadings.

With all that being said, I still shoot commercial ammo. But again, I don't know where patriot gets his info. It's not a 5.56 vs .223. That's when the military loading is hotter. The .30-06 was designed almost 100 years ago. Many hunting rounds are way hotter than any M2 ball.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:31:26 AM EDT
I use mostly surplus M2, but I have used 150 gr. American Eagle commerical stuff in the past to troubleshoot problems. Never had an ammo issue, always been something up with the bolt. Damn extractor plungers and springs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:56:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 10:02:21 AM EDT by Zmeja]
Wasn't there a thread here recently that was against American Eagle .30-06 in Garands?

I ask because I've got a very limited supply of Lake City left, can't find Talon M2 ball, and mine doesn't like UMC (when I could find it). Federal Match isn't an option either because of the expense isn't made up by increased accuracy. As a result, the M1 sits in my safe a lot.

I'm also asking because I'm looking at getting a CMP 1903, and want to be able to shoot it. I don't reload.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:33:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zmeja:
Wasn't there a thread here recently that was against American Eagle .30-06 in Garands?

I ask because I've got a very limited supply of Lake City left, can't find Talon M2 ball, and mine doesn't like UMC (when I could find it). Federal Match isn't an option either because of the expense isn't made up by increased accuracy. As a result, the M1 sits in my safe a lot.

I'm also asking because I'm looking at getting a CMP 1903, and want to be able to shoot it. I don't reload.

Yes, the gentleman who suggest using it in his artice in the GCA specified by saying he only recommended the AE that Federal makes for the CMP. I'd still shoot the sold in stores stuff too. But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:26:21 PM EDT
I've also fired a bunch of the Wolf 30.06 in my garands and I haven't had any problems with it either. It started as a "I'll try one box" thing and I've had good luck with it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:32:52 PM EDT
Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:13:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By howler:
I've also fired a bunch of the Wolf 30.06 in my garands and I haven't had any problems with it either. It started as a "I'll try one box" thing and I've had good luck with it.

Wolf makes 3006?

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:41:06 PM EDT
Where do ya buy Wolf 30.06 ammo amyways? I did'nt think they made it in that caliber at all?

Ken
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:06:55 PM EDT
While you won't "Blow Up" your m1 shooting commerical ammo, what you ARE doing is, creating a situation where excessive gas pressure from the slow burning powder builds up and slams the op rod back, opening the bolt and slamming the bolt into the back of the receiver... If this continues long enough, you will crack the back of the receiver, or bend the op-rod....badly The adjustable gas plug will prevent this from happening as excess gas is vented out the opening in the plug, saving your receiver, and op-rod from being damaged, If you want to shoot commerical ammo loaded with an unknown powder get a adjustable gas plug...it's cheap insurance, If you want some good shooting ammo try the Greek surplus that the CMP sells.. it's packed on En-bloc's in bandoleers, is non corrosive, boxer primed, reloadable cases, and best of all, very accurate in M1's I've shot alot of it and It IS accurate stuff,
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:58:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ralph:
... m1 shooting commerical ammo, what you ARE doing is, creating a situation where excessive gas pressure from the slow burning powder builds up and slams the op rod back, opening the bolt and slamming the bolt into the back of the receiver... If this continues long enough, you will crack the back of the receiver, or bend the op-rod...

+1000000000000000000000000000<­BR>
Anyone who doesn't take this advice is a FOOL.

Tim
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:08:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Garand06:

Originally Posted By Ralph:
... m1 shooting commerical ammo, what you ARE doing is, creating a situation where excessive gas pressure from the slow burning powder builds up and slams the op rod back, opening the bolt and slamming the bolt into the back of the receiver... If this continues long enough, you will crack the back of the receiver, or bend the op-rod...

+1000000000000000000000000000<­BR>
Anyone who doesn't take this advice is a FOOL.

Tim

Well, you guys may have shot more than I but I still don't fully agree. The greek HXP doesn't feel any lighter than the 168 gold medal I shot. I think it's probably wise to keep it on the low side, but Jeff Hoffman from Black Hills personally gave me the AOK in a thread awhile back for his 150 grain loading. Which is new commercial manufacture. It's all about the powders. But assuming that everyone one uses a slow burning powder might not be the whole story. The gentleman I referred to in the GCA magazine had been shooting american eagle for quite some time without any problems. At least that's how it read to me. And when he stated that he only recommends the AE made specifically for the cmp, he said he was going to shoot the remainder of his commercial stash. My point with that is, what I said before. I think it'll take more abuse than you think. But if you really want cream puff ammo. Lake city is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:09:38 AM EDT
The "oomph" of the ammo really has nothing to do with it.

It is all about the port pressure.

JJREA: are you talking about a .308? AFAIK, Black Hills doesn't make 30-06.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:26:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 7:31:27 AM EDT by Ralph]
The Greek HXP ammo is loaded to true M2 specs it's running around 2700fps the LC ammo the CMP is also selling runs around 2500fps, so, yes there is a difference. M2 ball ammo is supposed to be around 2700fps, I've shot 3 cans of it so far and have'nt had any problems the empty cases appear normal, dropping these cases into a case gage there is little diffrence between the fired case and one that has just been sized. I don't know what powder the greeks used but It must be close to IMR 4895's buring rate. Since we (the U.S.) lent them the rifles I would'nt be surprised if we also helped them make ammo, since all the Greek I've used so far, has been packed in former U.S. bandoleers, in U.S. and some european made En-blocs, I have a cronograph and provided I get time, I'll run some of the LC and Greek through my M1 and see what we get, and post results here. As far as the gas system taking the abuse...Maybe it will..But why do it? have you seen the price of replacement op-rods lately?? An adjustable gas plug is alot cheaper....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:01:48 PM EDT

The "oomph" of the ammo really has nothing to do with it.

It is all about the port pressure.

JJREA: are you talking about a .308? AFAIK, Black Hills doesn't make 30-06.

Sure they do. Black Hills Gold Series. It's on their website, they sell it at midway and I've seen it at sportsman's warehouse by me. SierraEight is someone who posts here now and then and that's Jeff Hoffman at Black Hills. I'm sure he knows a few things about shooting and weapons and I dont' think he would recommend something he thought would blow my rifle up.

Nothing wrong with playing it safe. Ralph has a good point about the adjustable gas plugs. However, it's not necessarily "foolish" to do something other than what you would do.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:58:46 PM EDT

Sure they do. Black Hills Gold Series. It's on their website

Well, I definately stand corrected !!! I have looked at their website, but I guess I never noticed the "gold" section. I had only looked at the factory new and re-man. sections.

Learn something new every day.

Tim
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:25:49 PM EDT

Sure they do. Black Hills Gold Series. It's on their website

Well, I definately stand corrected !!! I have looked at their website, but I guess I never noticed the "gold" section. I had only looked at the factory new and re-man. sections.

Learn something new every day.

Tim

Well, you never know, maybe sometime you'll want to try it. I like black hills stuff. Although admittedly, I've never bought the gold stuff. I was going to for hunting season but never got around to it. But I do use alot of their .223.
Top Top