Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2002 6:21:05 PM EDT
I went to look at one today, and the dealer asked me what PSS stood for.  He looked at me kind of funny and said they were probably LEO only.  Doesn't matter anyway, I'll just get my FFL guy to order one when he gets off of vacation.

What kind of groups do you guys get with yours?  I've got a 700BDL in .30-06 and can't get under 1.5" groups at 100 yards.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll get that allot.  I know I have.  Most of the shops are pretty good about doing some research though.  My local shop has on in .223 but I cant make up my mind.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Go for it.  You won't be disappointed.  I have the LTR in 223 and 308.  I have had a PSS in the past.  All of them are just flat awesome.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You should get less than 1 moa with a box stock PSS and a good quality scope.

I have consitently shot 5 shot groups of .75" with flyers opening the group to 1" off the bipod and I'm sure I could tighten that some using sandbags.

The rifle is bone stock and has not yet been shot enough to be called broken in.  

I also want to adjust the trigger pull as outlined at the Sniper Country site but have not had time to do that yet.

I'm very pleased with the accuracy of my PSS.  Sub moa is sufficent for my needs and increased accuracy over that comes at a stiff premium.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Remington sells the 700PSS/P model to their LE stocking dealers only.  The LE dealer, in turn, can sell it to a non-LE dealer.  Probably some legal BS from their over-priced lawyers.

My stock .308, 26" barreled "P" consistently gets sub-MOA groups out to 600 yards with a Leupold MK4 M3 scope and 175gr FGMM off a bipod.

Only thing done to it is the trigger job from snipercountry.

Moe
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
A Rem 700 VS is another option. It is identical to the PSS except for the stock, and is less expensive. I actually think the VS stock is more comfortable. Mine in .308 will shoot 1" five shot groups at 300 yds.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I once had a police type gun store tell me that I couldn't buy a 700PSS from them.  I said that they had already sold me one before and a Steyr SSG too.  No further argument, I got the rifle.  The 700PSS is an excellent value.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my local dealers carries mostly shotguns and bolt-action rifles for hunting. They stock a lot of Remingtons. They didn't know what I was talking about when I said Remington 700 PSS. Claimed they had never heard of one. So I ordered one from Costa Arms.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I called my favorite dealer today who told me they are currently unable to get one in any caliber.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Get one they are great rifles. Personally i prefer the PSS stock over the LTR stock. So I had my PSS choped to 20 inches and Bi-lock by gemtech for a can. Talk about a set up. I get half MOA w/o the can and haven't had a chance to do truely accuarte shotting w/ the can but w/ subsonic ammo .... WOW it is spooky quiet. Great rifles for the price. I picked mine up for 850 used with a Leuipold Vari XIII. Now I want one in 223.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#10]
The only problem I have getting one is not having the extra $$$ to get another one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top