Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 10:43:23 AM EDT
I've got a kit that i've been holding for a while and i think it's about time to put it together.
It's a CVA 80% inlay. I've got two barrels: .50 and .54 that i was thinking of parking.
I have built/rebuilt other guns, BP included, but i don't know how well i can Masse the wood work. (it has never been my strong point)
And what collr would be good for the stock?
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

RB out
(oh, hey, i just thought of a new twist on my user name initials,  RB=round ball.  How 'bout it?)
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've got a kit that i've been holding for a while and i think it's about time to put it together.
It's a CVA 80% inlay. I've got two barrels: .50 and .54 that i was thinking of parking.
I have built/rebuilt other guns, BP included, but i don't know how well i can Masse the wood work. (it has never been my strong point)
And what collr would be good for the stock?
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

RB out
(oh, hey, i just thought of a new twist on my user name initials,  RB=round ball.  How 'bout it?)

I researched Revolution Era Flinters , There are certian traits "of a school" that some BP guys get into like 8 pointed star . Iron rather than Brass , Blah and Blah . The truth is every gun thru that era and later was handmade so you cant hardly blow it . It's very straight foward even if it isnt  your strong suit . Personally I'd bob it somewhere cause most CVA's look a little funky w/ the brass stock conector . THAT is a "feature" I have never seen on origanals .

Turn it into an Indian Trade rifle , Tack it up . I know guys who will spend many hundereds of dollars on a Milatary musket then send it off to be steralized , all marking are removed except historical accurate ones . When the customer gets it back they will spray it w/ the hose . and leave it for a week or so in the backyard , one guy I used to know would drive his truck over the buttstock . Then you take it all apart clean the lock up , and try to get all the rust off . Good to Go .

BTW Rocklock is slang for Flintlock . I did order that revolutionary rifle custom made left handed , 8 point silver star , Rococo style carving , and a peice of curry maple that just wont quit in .36 .

I drove to Tenn. Christmas 82' to pick it up , and won the 84 Colo Flintlock title (Squirrel Rifle Div.)  

Woodworking is not my strong suit either  I made my required 5 in gunsmith school . Not too pretty I still have nightmares about an an Argintiena Mauser , cant even stand to look at them !

Round Ball it is !

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Rocklock, sorry to dissapoint-this is a caplock kit. It looks like the TC hawken, only not as well executed: Half stock with brass hardware, brass thimbles, case-hardened lock, hooked breach, etc.
I was thinking or tiger stripe for the wood.  I know its not era, but it looks so cool!

Don't think for a minute, however, that i am leaving the world of hitting rocks against metal.  That's a perannial favorite of mine-there's nothing like hunting with a flinty in snow up to your asshole, with more falling. Seperates the men from people who just look like men.  Talk about "fair chase"

But i digress, THIS is the gun i'm working on now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Rocklock, sorry to dissapoint-this is a caplock kit. It looks like the TC hawken, only not as well executed: Half stock with brass hardware, brass thimbles, case-hardened lock, hooked breach, etc.
I was thinking or tiger stripe for the wood.  I know its not era, but it looks so cool!

Don't think for a minute, however, that i am leaving the world of hitting rocks against metal.  That's a perannial favorite of mine-there's nothing like hunting with a flinty in snow up to your asshole, with more falling. Seperates the men from people who just look like men.  Talk about "fair chase"

But i digress, THIS is the gun i'm working on now.

Well that is good news that it doesnt have that Brass conector piece . There were Indian Trade Rifles in precussion although I think most Indians prefered flinters or a Henry ! Then there were all the convertions to precussion . How are you going to "tiger stripe it" I think I have some recipies for this (from an anceint Dixe gun works Catalog) when it is not naturaly curly maple .
I know that if it were mine what ever is brass would come off by removing the patch box lid and make it into a grease hole and yes leaving the brass plate in place . I'd bob the front of the stock to get rid of the brass entry point id gone...no brass (min) round it off to suit , and replace that TC Hawkins style rear sight from adjustibla to non ajustable Drift for windage file front sight "to fit" the other thing to consider is the finish I would polish the barrel or at least Brown it . Same/ same with the colorcase harding too . Just the color not the Hardness let it patina naturaly Barrel too . IF you have accesse to a Lathe you could make a Half Round /Half Octogone , use the rule of thirds for all "trimings" .

In short I would try to make it look as unCVA as possbile ,which you got a break cause you dont have the two piece stock model . I have some books that "could show you" how some things were done , Like Indian trade gun/ rifles w/ no buttplate because the Indians wanted to use it for other things . Those hawkin style Brass buttplate would have been taken and used as a hide scraper . Then file the Lenght of pull to what ever siuts you and just round it off . Creasent or shotgun style . You can easily file a new dove tail on the top flat OR rounded barrel . ANYWAY the one thing that there cant be a mistake by thinking there is a certian look . good luck RL  

my thinking with going the tear (cut) it down and make it unique . none of my suggestions cost anything . And (No Offense) w/ CVA's being on the lower end of quality it might be just the type of quality an origanal . While "Improving it" would involve Upgrades  , and after all it's still a CVA  . Now if it were an old North Star kit , thats differant . RL also id go .54 if you are hunting but as you know thats just personal thing . Usually they use the same barrel blank for either caliber , so a .50 will wiegh MORE that a .54

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard that one can do tiger stiping by one of two ways, both related.  Wrap either rope or cannon fuse around the stock and light it up.
I concur that the CVA (shlocky) look should be avoided, but a Hawken is a Hawken.  Even Plains rifles look a lot like a Hawken.
Browning the barrel is intriguing.  I thought of Parkerizing because it is durable, but i am open to suggestions.

Is there no more?

Just me and Rocky?  

Fine, be that way, see if i burn any charcoal with you guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top