Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 3:08:13 PM EDT
I tried sighting the irons in at 25 yds, but the rear sight is now cranked all the way down and it still shoots 1" high. I read Chuck's tacked thread but, if I read it correctly, shouldn't I be able to sight in point of aim at 25 yds and adjust from there? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The Socoms are supose to have a taller front sight, maybe your's has the wrong one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
It has a tritium stripe. I can tell it's a Trijicon but that's all I can make out, If that helps.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't hit shit with the iron sights so i slapped on a optical sight, much better
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I know what you mean, my CompML2-2X works beautifully. But, I think the irons should still function properly.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you sure that you're aiming off the top of the front post? I know when shooting pistols with "dot" front sights sometimes I find myself centering the dot on my POA and this causes me to shoot high, when the pistol is sighted in top of rear sight/ top of front sight.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Try using a "6 o'clock"  hold as its easier with iron sights. IE a apple on a stick hold.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I know what you mean. I set my bullseye on top of the front post, not behind it. I don't think that's the problem, but thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Sight Alignment

Quoted:
IE a apple on a stick hold.

example of 6:00 hold

example of P.O.A. (point of aim), P.O.I. (point of impact), or battlefield hold

LINK

I use the 6:00 hold with my 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sight Alignment

Quoted:

members.dslextreme.com/users/sdbruiser/BR%20posts/Sight%20holds/m1a_sights02.jpg

members.dslextreme.com/users/sdbruiser/BR%20posts/Sight%20holds/m1a_sights.bmp

www.m-14forum.com/images/icons/icon6.gif LINK

My sight picture is actually closer to the book cover than the pic below it, so if anything I would expect it to shoot low. Especially with the rear sight cranked all the way down. Hummm? Is a Trijicon tritium sight standard for a factory SOCOM?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sight Alignment

Quoted:

members.dslextreme.com/users/sdbruiser/BR%20posts/Sight%20holds/m1a_sights02.jpg

members.dslextreme.com/users/sdbruiser/BR%20posts/Sight%20holds/m1a_sights.bmp

www.m-14forum.com/images/icons/icon6.gif LINK

My sight picture is actually closer to the book cover than the pic below it, so if anything I would expect it to shoot low. Especially with the rear sight cranked all the way down. Hummm? Is a Trijicon tritium sight standard for a factory SOCOM?

yep, eta: I never could figure it out cause I never was able to see the rear sight and front sight alignment in the dark
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
mines shot way high out the box, the rear was bottomed out and it was impacting very high at 100yards.

i sent it back to springfield a few weeks ago and they told me they've re-crowned the barrel and did some other things. they're waiting to take it out to the range before they ship it out my way.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i sent it back to springfield a few weeks ago and they told me they've re-crowned the barrel and did some other things. they're waiting to take it out to the range before they ship it out my way.

I'm surprized that they have time to build new guns with all of the time they have to spend working on the guns they already built.

P.S. That is not a slam, as I myself have a NIB Springer on lay-away. I just hope my luck is better than many others here. If I end-up having to send it back, I intend to mention to them that their QC sucks and there are a LOT of unhappy late-model Springfield owners out there not too happy with them. (Like they never heard that before!). Crap, the chinese crap I buy at Walmart seems to be of better quality that late-model Springers because I can tell you that I really haven't had problems with the crap I've bought at Walmart. You'd think that when you spend $1300+ on something it'd work better than goods bought at China-mart!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I know what you mean, my CompML2-2X works beautifully. But, I think the irons should still function properly.

www.tallbill.com/ar15/albums/userpics/10005/normal_DSCN0439.JPG

off topic, but do you have any heat issues with the mount after sustained fire?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I've only been to the range twice with it so far, and the only mag I've got is the one 10rnd that came with it. I was just sighting it in, so I haven't really had a chance to heat it up yet. I've got a few 20rnd mags on order which should be next week and I'll probably give it a test then.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I just pulled out a old 25 meter (1000 inch) target that the Army used during the '60s/ '70s. If I remember right the POI for a M16A1 is 1 3/8" below POA and the POI is 1 3/8" above POA for a M14. If so your rifle is shooting OK.

You aim at the notch in the middle block. the bottom X is for the M16A1, the top X is for the M14 if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#16]
DVCAPI, thank you very much.  

That clears it up for me.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#17]
To the best of my knowledge all short barrelled carbines shoot high at short ranges, M4's for example 2" high under 35 meters...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't have that problem with my Socom. I followed their suggestions for initially sighting in and it seems to be OK. I sighted 11/2" high at 50 yards and it was 11 clicks up on the elevation knob. I did have to adjust the front sight to center the POI with the windage knob at zero. Other than that so far so good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top