Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2013 7:42:47 AM EDT
Just like the title says...has anyone regretted buying a Liberty Safe?

In the near future I will be purchasing my first safe. I'm looking into a few Liberty models as well as a few American Security models.

I'm focusing on the Liberty Fatboy/Franklin series and the Lincoln series. On the other hand, I'm focusing on the American Security BF series.

Should I just bite the bullet and fork over the additional $2,000 - $3,000 for the AMSEC BF series?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I love my liberty safe. it has performed flawlessly in the 4 years I have had it except for that time I forgot to lock it!
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my liberty safe. it has performed flawlessly in the 4 years I have had it except for that time I forgot to lock it

I'm not picking on you, but this is something I like to point out from time to time.

Safes are designed to protect contents from theft and fire.  Until the safe is attacked or burned, you won't know how well it performs.  We talk about how well guns perform because we shoot them.  We talk about how well cars perform because we drive them.  Safes are no different.  Until it is put through the paces, it's a bit of an unknown.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Fatboy.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought mine a long time ago.
2001, new.
I am very happy with it.
with kids it has a few more dings and scratches then I would like, but it has held up well.

The interior has always looked nice and well made to me.
That being said, there is another post on it, and I looked last year I think, and could not get over how cheap the interior looked.

I am not sure I would buy another based on that alone.

maybe they have all cheaped out, I have not looked again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I love my liberty safe. it has performed flawlessly in the 4 years I have had it except for that time I forgot to lock it

I'm not picking on you, but this is something I like to point out from time to time.

Safes are designed to protect contents from theft and fire.  Until the safe is attacked or burned, you won't know how well it performs.  We talk about how well guns perform because we shoot them.  We talk about how well cars perform because we drive them.  Safes are no different.  Until it is put through the paces, it's a bit of an unknown.

I value your advice, but just the fact of having a safe (over not having one) can be a deterrent to the less-than-professional thief.  The smash and grab type may not have allotted time to get into a decent safe.

I recently got a Lincoln 50 and am very happy with it.  You can find rebate forms on the web from time to time.  My rebate check came in promptly and I hear nothing but good things about Liberty customer service.  So far, I am happy with my purchase.  I picked the Lincoln over the Franklin since the Lincoln adds bolts to the bottom of the door.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought mine a long time ago.
2001, new.
I am very happy with it.
with kids it has a few more dings and scratches then I would like, but it has held up well.

The interior has always looked nice and well made to me.
That being said, there is another post on it, and I looked last year I think, and could not get over how cheap the interior looked.

I am not sure I would buy another based on that alone.

maybe they have all cheaped out, I have not looked again.

What model Liberty do you own?
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#7]
franklin is what my paperwork says.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Just took delivery of a Franklin 25 yesterday, pretty impressed with protection and features for the price point.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just took delivery of a Franklin 25 yesterday, pretty impressed with protection and features for the price point.

Just talked to the local Liberty dealer today. Thinking of getting one delievered. I am having trouble finding large enough pictures to look at their layout. I want to see how they count their "27 long gun storage" I know they account for 2 on the door pockets, so if you could- maybe take a picture of the interior? Overall what are your thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Overall I like it and think it a great value. Haven't filled it yet but it fits documents, cameras, a few thousand rounds of ammunition, and 5 long guns very comfortably.  Other than the security aspects, I really like the fact that its wired for electricity and that it came with 2 motion and on/off LEDs. It's in a lower 'media level' that sits on a slab so it will be anchored tomorrow.

I will need to add a light source lower in the safe and I think the 12" goldenrod is a bit 'underpowered', I'll probably grab a 24".

The door organizer is pretty neat and will be able to accommodate magazines, handguns, documents, and the like. It even has a molle section that my suppressor pouches and IFAK will clip to.

Overall, very happy. This was the minimum level of security I wanted and I'm happy I decided to raise my original budget.  This was a floor model and I paid $1399
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#11]
They are good safes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/LIB/AA63F963-00D8-4555-9706-A5FA2D33433E-436-0000002602698645.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/LIB/9AA0EE2F-F6DE-4C46-817D-17872B1E59F6-436-0000002607212619.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/LIB/8F16663A-2933-42AE-AB30-4BC97D71BD35-436-00000026123DB103.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/LIB/90D1DD87-5B20-4A2D-AD94-01B2DA195AFA-436-000000260ED10B43.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/LIB/CABFACD7-715F-471B-8132-B4314A6FE39F-436-000000260B6DA53A.jpg

Overall I like it and think it a great value. Haven't filled it yet but it fits documents, cameras, a few thousand rounds of ammunition, and 5 long guns very comfortably.  Other than the security aspects, I really like the fact that its wired for electricity and that it came with 2 motion and on/off LEDs. It's in a lower 'media level' that sits on a slab so it will be anchored tomorrow.

I will need to add a light source lower in the safe and I think the 12" goldenrod is a bit 'underpowered', I'll probably grab a 24".

The door organizer is pretty neat and will be able to accommodate magazines, handguns, documents, and the like. It even has a molle section that my suppressor pouches and IFAK will clip to.

Overall, very happy. This was the minimum level of security I wanted and I'm happy I decided to raise my original budget.  This was a floor model and I paid $1399

So it looks like the answer to my question is that the long-gun side is setup to hold 10 rifles? That is what I was asking about in my previous question. Nowhere do they have a large picture of what their 4 different layouts are. It keeps listeing "4-In-1" but no place do I see a picture (large enough) for me to plan my stacking of guns in this bad boy!

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends, do they have scopes on them?  I've got 5 on the right there, 2 with scopes. Could probably fit 3-5 more, scope dependent.

The left side has the rifle cutout  as well if you need, the third shelf up has a lid that comes off and slots are under it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Currently I have 7 long guns. Two with optics mounted. Some are literally "safe queens" I inheirited from my deceased grandfather. They never get used, but I won't sell them either. Smallest rifle being a ruger 10/22 and largest being something in the HK93/AR-15 range.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had my liberty Lincoln for 6 years, works great. Elec lock crapped out, they sent a lock smith with a new lock and switched it out. Zero cost to me. Pics a few years old. Added my own light kit. $40 @ Wally World.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Currently I have 7 long guns. Two with optics mounted. Some are literally "safe queens" I inheirited from my deceased grandfather. They never get used, but I won't sell them either. Smallest rifle being a ruger 10/22 and largest being something in the HK93/AR-15 range.

I'd think you'd be fine. They do make a 35 if you can swing 18-1900 bucks
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but with my budget and safes location, the Franklin 25 is perfect. Plus it is going upstairs so the weight of the safe is comfortable for me too. Dont wanna be worried "Is my safe too heavy?" I am looking at buying from the local Liberty dealer and having him install it upstairs. Spoke to him today and he said given my dimensions it'd be no sweat for him. Hes been in business 30+ years and came reccomended. Wife is happier too at the idea of "professionally installed"
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but with my budget and safes location, the Franklin 25 is perfect. Plus it is going upstairs so the weight of the safe is comfortable for me too. Dont wanna be worried "Is my safe too heavy?" I am looking at buying from the local Liberty dealer and having him install it upstairs. Spoke to him today and he said given my dimensions it'd be no sweat for him. Hes been in business 30+ years and came reccomended. Wife is happier too at the idea of "professionally installed"

I should sell you my Liberty Franklin D-25 (2004 date)!  It is a great safe, but is now suffering from the same thing that eventually afflicts all safes..........  It has shrunk in size and is now too small!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Is the "D-25" designation just meaning it is the 25-gun model?
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll have a Fatboy Jr. by next weekend..
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Is the Liberty Lincoln 41 from Gander mountain...the same as the Liberty Lincoln 50 from the Liberty website?  I can't see anything different about them...except around $800 when looking at the Gloss Black

LL41 @ Gander

LL50 @ Liberty
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is the "D-25" designation just meaning it is the 25-gun model?

D-25 is for 25 cubic feet of interior space.  The "4-in-1" flex interior has slots for 27 guns.  But that isn't realistic unless you own nothing but pencil barrel, iron-sighted rifles with "slim" actions (lever, single shot, bolt guns with small knobs, etc.)  AR's take up a lot of space with their pistol grips and optics, as do other guns with big scopes, etc..  I have one side setup for ARs, and in the 13 gun slots on that side (according to the interior notches), I can only fit 7, maybe 8 ARs in an alternating pattern.  

So I usually take the claimed capacity and divide by 2 for AR+scoped gun capacity.  So a 25CF safe "rated" for 27 guns is really a 13 long-gun case.  On the top shelf, I can probably fit 8 to 10 pistols , but some of the space is taken up by other things (important documents binder for example), so I've really got room for 5 pistols.  I might be able to hang a few more pistols on the door, but I don't need more pistol space, I need more rifle space....
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Scollins thanks for the info. Of my 7 longguns, one is a boltaction and another is a 10/22. So I think with what I have it will fit nicely. I am pretty sold on the Franklin 25. Plus the dealer was so professional and willing to answer my questions even though he was busy. Hoping to get it by February.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Scollins thanks for the info. Of my 7 longguns, one is a boltaction and another is a 10/22. So I think with what I have it will fit nicely. I am pretty sold on the Franklin 25. Plus the dealer was so professional and willing to answer my questions even though he was busy. Hoping to get it by February.

FYI mine did not come with bolts for securing to floor. Check with your dealer to be sure, but I had to go get my own.

Small pet peeve, I'm spending over a grand and liberty can't give me $5 worth of bolts?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Not worried. Probably wont bolt it down at first. Just in case we decide to move it, try it in different spots in the room, etc. Not hard to swing by Lowes and get some 3/8x2 lagscrews. Boss-lady isn't sold on it yet.. Dealer said he might get some on the 18th, but if not then, on the 1st of Feb he can add anything to that shipment so might not be for a few weeks. Really hoping I can get one. Will be nice to sleep easier knowing our valuables and irreplaceable items are secured.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#27]
It does offer great piece of mind.

2" seems a bit shallow. I'd go 1/2" x 3" deep at least.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I suppose this could go in its own thread- but my basic knowledge of home construction- I am assuming they used a 5/8 or 3/4 OSB or plywood... Unless I knew the bolt-down holes were deadcenter over the joists, the extra thread on the lag isnt really holding once it goes through the subfloor.But there again I guess going longer doesnt hurt either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I suppose this could go in its own thread- but my basic knowledge of home construction- I am assuming they used a 5/8 or 3/4 OSB or plywood... Unless I knew the bolt-down holes were deadcenter over the joists, the extra thread on the lag isnt really holding once it goes through the subfloor.But there again I guess going longer doesnt hurt either.

My fault.  My entertainment level is on a slab (halfway between first floor and basement)...so I'm thinking of going into concrete.  Disregard!
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Ahh. Yes I wish I had a basement with concrete floor then I'd have a huge safe and wedge-anchor it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ahh. Yes I wish I had a basement with concrete floor then I'd have a huge safe and wedge-anchor it.

Basement/flooding makes me kinda nervous but I'm glad we have this elevated level on a slab.  5 level splits are funky, but that's one of the perks I guess.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had a Liberty Fatboy for a couple of years and love it.  I don't regret my decision one bit.  It's got plenty of room for all of my guns & magazines & I can expand it & use both sides for guns if I want to.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a National Security Fatboy and love it.  Interior is fine in my opinion...I didn't buy it to be pretty on the inside, I bought it to protect against fire and being broke into as long as possible on top of the other security measures I have in place.

Only negative is it takes up alot of space in my office.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've had a Liberty Fatboy for a couple of years and love it.  I don't regret my decision one bit.  It's got plenty of room for all of my guns & magazines & I can expand it & use both sides for guns if I want to.

Great, this is what I was hoping to hear. I'm going to check out the Fatboy again today.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I 've had mine about 20 years, not sure what model. I have not had one problem, would strongly recommend them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I love my Fatboy.  

dude, i love my fatboy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got a Fatboy Jr. (which was bought from Lowe's, ordered online for about $1100, $79 delivery).  They sent out 4 guys, I was a bit nervous at first (OPSEC and such), but I tipped the delivery guys $20 apiece, told them it was for my grandfather's stamp collection, family heirloom manuscripts from their immigration, random BS.  The guys were pretty nice, and it's been over a year and no security scares.  It MUST be bolted down though.  The Fatboy Jr. is shallow, and it will damn near tip over if the door is opened all the way.  I drilled into the concrete slab, used some Redhead wedge anchors, and that thing is SOLID.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Had my fatboy for almost two years. I'm needing to buy another safe and will be buying another Liberty. Got mine from a Liberty outlet price was really good.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I've got a fatboy and love it. I think it's rated for 64 long guns but I can barely fit 16 per side. Optics and pistol grips really limit you.

The only disadvantage is for really long guns(mosins, shotguns, etc,) you have to store them in special cutout areas of the top shelf. Or move the top shelf up and you'll lose a lot of usable space doing that.

Still, I'd buy it again. Next safe will be a Franklin 25 series specifically for the longer guns, and the shorter ones will stay in the fatboy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:12:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I like mine...
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Thinking about selling my two smaller safes and upgrading to a Lincoln 50.  Good to see all the positive replies here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#42]
In terms of the $500+ difference between the Franklin series and Lincoln series, is it worth it to upgrade?

What exactly do you get for the money? Bottom door locking bolts and a nicer interior?
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In terms of the $500+ difference between the Franklin series and Lincoln series, is it worth it to upgrade?

What exactly do you get for the money? Bottom door locking bolts and a nicer interior?

Seems like higher fire rating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top