Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2006 5:04:34 AM EDT
I see some people are really into M1's, Enfields, etc....I am not knocking them, not at all. I just have no desire for these old guns.

Even older A1 style AR's and M16's I can't get into.

Anyone else, or am I alone?

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#1]
me either. I like newer technology.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I would like to have a nice M1 but other than that I'm not really into the older firearms so your not alone here
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#3]
You're not alone.  I've never really understood the Garand fascination.  They're nice, but they're not my cup of tea.  I'm really not into any surplus arms.  I do love old S&W revolvers though.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I do have an A1 AR, but other than that...   HECK NO!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Do 1911's fit into your catagory of "old guns"?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't like wooden guns.

With that said, I do carry a 1911 every day and shoot it in IDPA.  That design is older than alot of the wooden (long)guns I don't like.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do 1911's fit into your catagory of "old guns"?

Depends...

This one, I dont like:

This one I do:

I own a SA 1911 Black Stainless, with Houge Grips, Fiber Optic and night sights, etc...New stuff.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I like them all - from matchlocks to machine guns.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I got my C&R years ago, and for the first few years I was fascinated with all the Mausers, Enfields, Garands, etc.  I ordered several CMP Garands and one of everthing from Century, AIM, etc.

But I think that indulging my interest has quenched it.  I haven't bought a new C&R in years, and I have begun to sell a few here and there.  I no longer bother reading the SGN articles about "This Old Mauser".

I find modern weapons much more interesting, and shoot them far more than my relics.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Wouldn't mind having a nice M1 but I won't go out of my way or spend a bunch of $ to get one. I have little to no desire for any of the older bolt action battle rifles.

1911's? I fired a few and liked them and will probably get one of my own some day but I really don't think I'll ever understand the fascination or lust some people have for them? Too each there own I guess.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Good, all you people stay away from my old friends! I want them all, and I'm not alone. This is how I see it: I stay out of your way for your collecting, you stay out of mine. Although I do have to gently remind all of you: the design for the AR rifle was done by Eugene Stoner in either the late 50s or very early 60s. That means that in another decade or so, at least the design for the M16 will qualify as C&R. Just some food for thought.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
You are not alone. I don't even like Ak's very much anymore.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You are not alone. I don't even like Ak's very much anymore.

All that means is you are developing in your appreciation of the finer things.

Since I sold my Norinco a couple years back, I wouldn't mind owning another AK ... as long as I never, ever had to shoot it again.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#14]
When you get right down to it, all firearms are some type of internal combustion engine, that being said, the only thing "new" is the package they are wrapped in. One can kill you dead just as much as the other. BTW, I have a morbid histrorical fascination of ALL weapons, be it swords, knives, guns, or nuclear missles. And yes I love my AR15s as much as my C&Rs.

I consider the Sig 550 series rifles to be one of the finest small arms ever made. It is an old design(AK47), but I like the package it's wrapped in. The new 556 is at the top of the wish list.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#15]
The only older guns I really like are the 1911 and the M1A/M14.  Bolt guns don't count - I like all of them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I like old military guns. M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and M1 Thompson Machinegun, 1903 Model 1897 riot ,Walther P38, Lugers..........

But I do not care about old Remingtons or S&Ws,  Colts and most Winchesters.
I know they are worth a lot of money but to be honest they look like wall hangers. I like a old gun that has a bit of history (most military arms do) and I can have fun shooting it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]
To be honest, I don't really care much for modern guns. Older guns are the shiznit. Maybe it's just because of the fact that I'm not able to get my hands on any ARs or AKs in CA,  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I like all guns starting with Flintlocks right up to Phase-plasma rifle in the forty watt range!

Saying you don't like "old" guns and only like new ones is silly in my opinion!

Just because you drive a 2007 GT Mustang, doesn't mean you wouldn't like to take a spin in a 1966 A/C Cobra.  Yea, it's old, but I bet it will still make your hair stand on end!

Newer doen't necessarily mean better!  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm a shooter, not a collector. I have TWO guns that I keep just for shits and giggles: my first rifle and my first shotgun. The rest are shooters, even my '69 Colt .45. My blasphemy knows no boundaries--the '69 got cut up and modified. The only original parts are the frame and slide.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I love old guns, I feel like they are a part of history and they are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#21]
YEA!
Those damn old fashioned guns!
Cripes - some of 'em must be 50 years old!
Not like the AR15...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I like all guns starting with Flintlocks right up to Phase-plasma rifle in the forty watt range!

Saying you don't like "old" guns and only like new ones is silly in my opinion!

Just because you drive a 2007 GT Mustang, doesn't mean you wouldn't like to take a spin in a 1966 A/C Cobra.  Yea, it's old, but I bet it will still make your hair stand on end!

Newer doen't necessarily mean better!  

I agree with The Gunny. In my experience "new and improved" often isn't any better than old and proven, and sometimes the old and proven beats the hell out of "new and improved". Of course, I like my guns simple with few widgets and gadgets. If you like to add all the latest and greatest "tactical ninja super warrior" stuff, well it is kind of difficult to put on an old Mauser bolt gun or an M1 Garand. In that case get whatever you want, its your money, and leave the milsurps to those of us who enjoy them and appreciate them.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I can't bring myself to care about them at all.

I have a C&R and I have bought exactly (1) gun with it, which I sold about a month later. I like the discounts though, so I will definitely renew

I still own a Persian Mauser and a couple of M39s. I never shoot them. I'm not even sure why I still have them. Off to the EE!

I couldn't even get into the M16A1 clone I built. Sold the parts after a couple months. It was nice and light but otherwise phenomenally unspectacular.

I guess it's because my interest in guns derives almost exclusively from two things...being in the USMC and watching John Woo Hong Kong action flicks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:19:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I have to admit that it would be nice not to have to deal with ****ing cosmoline ever again.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My blasphemy knows no boundaries--the '69 got cut up and modified. The only original parts are the frame and slide.

That's not blasphemy, merely a theological disagreement.  (Now, cutting up an early National Match might be grounds for getting the stake and firewood ready.)

And I happen to agree with you.  No point having guns you won't shoot.

I don't really feel I have a collection.  I think of it more like the Mays Family Armory.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't believe the number of blasphemers in this thread!!  

How can a person not like the battle rifles of old? It's inconceivable!

I have several of the old ladies and love them all. I don't shoot them all the time but I shoot them all.

In fact, my Enfield No.4mk1 is probably my favorite. It's a very close race between it and my Garand, anyway.

And it's full of history. It's a post war production, May 1949. And when I got it home and cleaned all the cosmoline off it I noticed a brand new barrel with outstanding bluing. Better than most sporting rifles have anymore. Found out it has a South African barrel. Now I'm left to wonder how many commies the South African army had to shoot to wear out the original British barrel? What's not to like about the rifle?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
How can a person not like the battle rifles of old? It's inconceivable!

I like some old guns, but I can't afford any of them. I would love to own an FG42, MP44, MP40, MG42, Thompson, M3 greasegun, Jap Type 99 LMG, Bren, ZB26, Suomi, Lahti-Saloranta, etc.

It's just the old bolt actions for the most part that don't do anything for me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I like both.

Max
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I have plenty of more modern firearms,however I am partial to C&R firearms,particulary old bolt guns.I will take out one of my Mosin Nagants and wonder what battles it was in,If it killed any Nazi sumbitches,did it save the life of the soldier who carried it.I look at it this way,I dont really own them,I am just taking care of these pieces of history for awhile......
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I never was.... until a friend had a few and let me try some. Things changed from that point on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#31]
There are few older guns that I like, but I'm not really into the historical pieces like some are.  I'd love to have a decent M1 Carbine, and 1903, or a good reproduction, and I do think that Garands are cool, but I don't really get excited about them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd give up all my ARs before I'd give up my Krag.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't like old guns because I don't like crap cluttering up the house and safe.  With the kind of shooting I do they are useless, and quite frankly I don't understand the collector mentality anyway.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I <3 my Swedish Mauser
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I see some people are really into M1's, Enfields, etc....I am not knocking them, not at all. I just have no desire for these old guns.

I feel the same.

There are a few classics I'd like to have a good example of. Like a nice Luger maybe.

Otherwise, I like modern military type firearms.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Although I consider alot of the old stuff as "Classics" and I like to see and handle them for nostelga (SP?)....I have no interest what-so-ever in owning them. New technology is what I am all about also.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Really? O good more for me!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I like them all - from matchlocks to machine guns.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I don't like old guns because I don't like crap cluttering up the house and safe.  With the kind of shooting I do they are useless, and quite frankly I don't understand the collector mentality anyway.

There are some people that could easily kick your ass with a Mosin Nagant.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I like new tech. No Aks, or old stuff for me. That said, the oldest rifle I own is a FAL. Next purchase will be a G36. I figure 21 more OT days and it's mine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I feel the need to clarify my position. I don't care about the age of the weapon or more importantly, the age of the design. I have no problem with people who like to collect firearms and honestly, if I had more time and money, I would probably collect some of them myself.

But that's just it, I do not have the money for a safe full of rifles and even if I did, I don't have the time to shoot and become proficient with that many different weapons. So with that in mind, I have to choose the weapons I buy carefully. I find some of the more modern designs to be more flexibly and effective for my needs. The AR platform as an example works very well for me on a number of levels.

Are '03 Springfield's or a German Mauser's great firearms and great battle rifles? Absolutely but unfortunately they don't offer me anything that I really need or desire.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a tendency to swing back and forth from C&R stuff to new military type. I enjoy the history of the old stuff along with the excellent craftsmanship that goes into each rifle or pistol of a bygone era.
However, I enjoy shooting modern stuff and do not prescribe to a non-shooting collector of firearms. I shoot everything I own and there are no safe queens, outside an unfired Persian.

When I go to the range I usually take along a few of each that breaks the day up and also slows me down. For those that don't care for the old stuff it leaves more for those who do.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I like the old stuff better than new. Give me an M1 anyday....to add to the ones I have already! I dont really consider the FAL old, but thats my all time fav battle rifle...my 18" para is my goto gun.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are some people that could easily kick your ass with a Mosin Nagant.  

Depending on the way the competition is set up, you may be right.  But throw in things like reloads, transitions to a handgun, etc. and the benefits of the newer designs become obvious.

I'm actually going to be buying an SKS for a burying gun and I'll run it in the matches a time or two to see how it fleshes out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#46]
I have thought about collecting a few Garands or Springfields, but am really repelled by the thought of buying even more guns that I never shoot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I have thought about collecting a few Garands or Springfields, but am really repelled by the thought of buying even more guns that I never shoot.

then shoot em!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#48]
I was that way when I first started getting "into" firearms a few years back where I didn't really appreciate some of the older firearms and for the same exact reasons. I didn'tcare for the wooden stocks and the "old man" look. Some of it was personal prefernce and some of it was just pure ignorance because of my "newer is better" mentality at the time. I still haven't purchased any older firearms but I wouldn't mind have a M1 Garand, WW2-era Springfield sniper rifle, M14, Mosin Nagant, Lee Enfield, or even a Sten if even only from a collector's standpoint. It's all personal prefernce though and I can certain understand and empathize with those who have a hard time developing favor with some older models.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Metal and wood feels good
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I dont like em I love em!! Like said above, I'd give up my AR's before my Krag's I feel the same way. McM

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top