Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2001 4:42:24 PM EDT
My girlfriend says we should start thinking about buying firearms that are on the anti's "ban list". The 50BMG was the first that came to mind. Does anyone have any experience with the AR50?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own one but I have shot them. They're great, less recoil than the Barret semi-auto. The Barret is not stout on it's recoil either but the AR 50 has less.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Its gettin pretty hard to keep up with you guys,now ya made me have to look for one.
did you post on the 50 world site
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
They are a blast.......many rounds through one and loved them all!
Go to http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/
to find all you want to know about the 50 cal weapons........
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, guys.

Is the AR50 a bolt action single shot design? What kind of accuracy can I expect?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#5]
AR50 is indeed a bolt-action single shot.  It's the lightest recoiling, sweetest shooting .50 BMG rifle there is.  With scope mounted it's heavy at 36 pounds but easy on your shoulder.  Bipod or bench shooting is pretty much required for any .50 BMG rifle.  (That said I have shoulder fired mine several times.  It's just heavy to hold.)

Accuracy with any .50 is highly dependent on the ammunition.  Surplus ammo quality is all over the board but some companies make improved "Mexican Match" type loads and a few make true custom handloads for match use.

These could be the Golden Years for .50 BMG rifles.  The last few months have seen introductions of several new rifles and uppers.  More custom .50 BMG rifle builders than ever before too.  It's a good time to be in the market for one.

I've owned an AR50 for over a year now and have nothing but good things to say about it.  It's FUN to shoot.  I learned handloading to keep costs down but that just made me want to shoot it more.  I tried shooting it in competition, got hooked and placed fourth in Unlimited Rifle at last year's 1000-yard .50 BMG World Championship.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Arock,

Thanks for the input!

How is the blast from the AR50? How bad is it for the shooter and people on the bench next to you? Also, how much did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#7]
3 of my friends have the AR50, and they love it. We had a group buy at work, I couldn't come up with the money at the time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How is the blast from the AR50? How bad is it for the shooter and people on the bench next to you? Also, how much did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking?

Seeing how the AR50 has an efficient muzzle brake the blast IS relatively noticeable.  However design of the brake is such that the shooter is protected.  If you stand directly behind the shooter blast is relatively easy on you.  If you're more than 30 degrees to either side of the shooter you WILL feel it.

It will clear the tops of shooting benches on either side of you.  I've heard of AR50's popping glass out of cars parked too close.  Other .50 shooters know about AR50's and take their blast into account.  Common sense courtesy needs to prevail.  But that's part of what makes an AR50 SO MUCH FUN TO SHOOT.

I don't remember the exact price I paid.  It was the first AR50 my dealer sold and he made me a good deal if I left it at his shop occaisionally for show.  I think it was about $2200 for the rifle.  We got a lot of accessories at the same time then fab'ed and modified some parts to get it into match condition.

**Edited to correct my spelling and punctuation.  (Although I'm 52 years old, I live in a small Texas town and four of my elementary school teachers live within a few blocks.  They would NOT be happy with some of my contortions of the King's English.)
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Arock,

Again, thanks for the great info.

The benches at the range I usually shoot at are pretty close to each other. The blast from a 'braked AR15 or my AR10T (and definately my 7mm Ultra Mag) usually startles the shooters next to me. The AR50 should prove to be a problem at this range. Thankfully, most of the shooters stay at the 50 and 100 yard lines. That being the case, I should have a good two or three benches between me and the next shooter.

Have you ever fired the AR50 prone? I would imagine the 'brake makes quite a "mess" in the prone position.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Have you ever fired the AR50 prone? I would imagine the 'brake makes quite a "mess" in the prone position.

Prone is the position we use most often.  One of the parts we fab'ed is an adapter for an M60 bipod.  With that bipod mounted shooting prone is easy.  It is also as you allude "messy".

But any .50 with a brake is similarly disturbing to the surrounding ecology.  Most of us put a tarp or plastic sheet under the muzzle to keep dirt and twigs out of our shirts and hair.  You will be surprised how much dirt you can move with a .50.  I've got a 15'x20' trailer cover we setup on.  It's heavy treated cotton and pretty water resistant so it keeps us dry on damp grass or earth.

Shooting off a bench isn't my favorite position although I realize many folks have to use it at their range.  Bench shooting is the most recoil enhancing position I know.  It transfers more undamped recoil to the shooter than any other position.  Benches beat me up.  So I like to get down on the ground to shoot when possible.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a pic of it in it's current configuration.

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#12]
And one of it with a couple of it's stablemates.

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had my Barrett and State Arms pick up a gun case (soft cloth) 6' from the muzzle (on the bench nearby), with a heavy gun (AR or AK) and flip it completely over, moving the rifle a foot or more.  The AR-50 has a more efficient (read more blast to the sides) brake than the Barrett or State Arms.  

It will DEFINITELY clear the benches near you (intentionally or unintentionally).  I won't shoot or allow anyone to shoot without giving fair warning to the shooters within about 30 feet.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks again for all the input, especially Arock.

My girlfriend and I just bought a house in PA, the closing is on the 21st of this month. First order of business after we are in and settled is order an AR50. I am really looking forward to it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top