Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 2:35:55 PM EDT
I've had a DSA Type 2 reciever for a while waiting for the ban to end.  Got on the DSA lightweight Para lower list once the ban ended and am steadily gathering parts.  Can't wait to get it finished!  Anyone else got the itch?

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
just need my LS now...

oh, it itches BAAAD!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have all the parts but I live in the wrong state.  The folder is locked in the open position and I will have to live with a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm gonna celebrate my birthday the second ammendment and the death of the assult weapon  ban on october 20th, i don't know what i'm getting yet, anyone want to make a good case for the FAL or recomend something else,tring to stay aroud $450-500
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:57:35 AM EDT
[#4]
yup.  I had a para kit sitting under my bed for 6 months!  I finished her the second the ban died. Now shes my favorite FAL. see the FAL pics tack, pg6 for pics.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I am quite curious why the PARA is so popular?  I am new to FALs as I built my first the day the crime bill died....  BUT... I am curious if these really have a benifit or is this a popular item for little other reason then we couldn't have them fo so long?

Can you shoot the FAL with the stock folded?
Is that stock comfortable?
Are these reliable (Given it is a FAL I assume so...)

The FAL I Have built is a full sized IMBEL on an Imbel Gear Type 3 receiver...  I have two more kits (G1 and Imbel) waiting on DSA (Type 1 & 2) receivers  and I have considered doing the second Imbel on the DSA Type 2 receiver as a PARA but it is a lot of money to get these para parts....

Are these really worth the extra cost?  Just curious as I like the look but I am getting too poor to do everything I want to do....  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am quite curious why the PARA is so popular?  I am new to FALs as I built my first the day the crime bill died....  BUT... I am curious if these really have a benifit or is this a popular item for little other reason then we couldn't have them fo so long?Probably has a lot to do with it

Can you shoot the FAL with the stock folded?Yes, BUT at the risk of scratching the rec.
Is that stock comfortable?I think its no more uncomfortable than the "regular" style
Are these reliable (Given it is a FAL I assume so...)Of course!

The FAL I Have built is a full sized IMBEL on an Imbel Gear Type 3 receiver...  I have two more kits (G1 and Imbel) waiting on DSA (Type 1 & 2) receivers  and I have considered doing the second Imbel on the DSA Type 2 receiver as a PARA but it is a lot of money to get these para parts....

Are these really worth the extra cost?  Just curious as I like the look but I am getting too poor to do everything I want to do....  

I built mine because it was a style of Fal I didnt have,  You gotta have one of each you know.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered one of these:

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=SA58OSW&storeid=1&image=sa58osw.gif

I think it will be a great flame thrower.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I ordered one of these:

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=SA58OSW&storeid=1ℑ=sa58osw.gif

Got your tax stamp?

Form 3 transfer.  I am a FFL/SOT.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I built mine because it was a style of Fal I didnt have,  You gotta have one of each you know.

Funny how that works isn't it? Holds true for AR's and AK's too, it seems. I'm planning to buy a Para from DSA this winter.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Funny how that works isn't it? Holds true for AR's and AK's too, it seems. I'm planning to buy a Para from DSA this winter.

Yeah, I got the collector/hoarder attitude real bad.  I like to get stuf "just to have it"....the wife dosent really understand.   If only my wallet could keep up with my wants
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am no expert on this issue, but unless I am greatly mistaken, installing a Para-configuration lower on a FAL also requires installing Para rear sights.  Something about the lower preventing use of the standard long-range rear sights?  Perhaps I am wrong.

If that is so, than my FAL will never see a Para conversion.  Don't see the need to downgrade from a battle rifle to a short-to-mid range 7.62 carbine.

Instead of doing something just because it is now possible to do so, perhaps some of you might want to re-consider the reasons for your proposed alterations.

An anology would be the downgrading of the AR from a 20" inch barrel to a 16"-or less barrel.

IMHO, there are very few legitimate reasons for doing so, and the same pertains for hacking up a FAL into a short-barreled, myopically rear-sighted short-range carbine.  I understand that there may be a very few people who have a real-world use for such a weapon.  Ask yourself this question:  Are you one of these people?

Save your money, or better yet, buy some ammo and practice with your standard-length rifle.

I happen to like short-barreled, myopically rear-sighted short-range carbines, which probably explains my affinity for M-4gerys.

This doesn't mean that I'm cutting my prized G1 FAL into a pint-sized .308-spitting flame thrower, no sir.  This Para is being built from the bottom up as the best compromise I could think of for a short-barreled, myopically rear-sighted short-range carbine that fits my personal specifications.  The barrel is just shy of 18", which is the shortest bit of pipe I'd want for a working .308 rifle, and has a chrome bore to boot (hard to find on a shorty M-1A) .  The action and magazine system are proven reliable, unlike the AR-10.  The sights are tough and functional and will be augmented by a Docter Optic sight that I'm wagering will allow cowitnessing with the irons.

In brief this short-barreled, myopically rear-sighted short-range carbine is being built from the ground up to be a no-shit shooter that is as handy as you can make a .308 rifle for the close-in fight and still keep a whallop that will blow through cover that would soak up a .223.  Maybe it will work out the way I think it will and maybe it won't.

Either way I've waited TEN YEARS to give it a try!  So cut a guy a break...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I ordered one of these:

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=SA58OSW&storeid=1ℑ=sa58osw.gif

Got your tax stamp?

Form 3 transfer.  I am a FFL/SOT.

You suck

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top