Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2013 5:41:55 AM EDT
I am curious if his tweaking of 870 barrels is worth the considerable expense?  I like the idea of reducing recoil and tightening the pattern up. Not sure if it is worth the expense.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  My Mossy 590 barrel.

Looks great.  But didn't notice much in reduction of recoil.

I also have a win 1300 - with no modifications.

The BIG difference for me has been changing to reduced recoil "tactical buckshot" with flite-control wadding.  Unbelievable

At 15 yards all 9 pellets in a 5x7" group with either shotgun.

I'd honestly say save your $ and buy GOOD quality defensive ammo.

My .02$....worth what you paid!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#2]
They are great to deal with and do excellent work. I have an 870 with the Vang Comp barrel treatment (ported as well). It does a nice job with regular ammunition but I find that Federal Flite Control does a great job in producing very tight patterns at extended ranges when shot out of any barrel.  I saw an improvement with regular ammo after the VCS but not much difference with flite control. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They are great to deal with and do excellent work. I have an 870 with the Vang Comp barrel treatment (ported as well). It does a nice job with regular ammunition but I find that Federal Flite Control does a great job in producing very tight patterns at extended ranges when shot out of any barrel.  I saw an improvement with regular ammo after the VCS but not much difference with flite control. YMMV

How long did they take to do the work?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Hans Vang does very good work. I do feel, however, that his backboring and forcing cone work has been rendered obsolete by the Flite Control wad.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have a stock pile of  12P-00BK, 16p-1BK or 4BK without Flite Control, I cannot recommend VCS enough. It works best with high pellet count loads. On my gun with 1BK, it shrunk groups by more than half.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you have a stock pile of  12P-00BK, 16p-1BK or 4BK without Flite Control, I cannot recommend VCS enough. It works best with high pellet count loads. On my gun with 1BK, it shrunk groups by more than half.

Just got into the shotgun game. I don't really have a stockpile of anything. However with the current ammo conditions, it would seem logical that getting a specific shell is a long shot.

I think the versatility might be a big plus. Especially if we go through this BS ever again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I had mine done a couple of years ago around the winter time and it took less than a month. I don't recall exactly how long but it was faster than I expected.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Federal Flight Control ammo made the Vang Comp treatment a waste of money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:19:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I understand what people are saying about the Flite Control ammunition's benefits vs Hans' barrel work.

However, even with the Flite Control rounds, does anyone think if the porting is worth the expense and time? Just asking, since Hans does more than back-boring and the forcing cone mods.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#10]
No, I dont feel the porting is worth it in any way.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#11]
About 3 years ago he was running a sale on barrels, i got one with all the bells and whistles for $150, should have bought more, they had 18" and 14".
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hans Vang does very good work. I do feel, however, that his backboring and forcing cone work has been rendered obsolete by the Flite Control wad.

Yup, two ways to achieve the same results.

But if you shoot all kinds of ammo or reload, Hans is a good thing.  If a barrel patterns like shit, flite control will likely improve it.

Spend it on the ammo or spend it on Hans.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And I think Federal says not to use flite control wads in in ported barrels?  The porting affects the performance of the wads.  I have never tested it in my ported vs non-ported barrels to see for myself but if that is still true then for an HD gun or do all gun, I would skip the porting.  Reason being flite control wads are that good so I would not want to diminish the performance of that ammo in my primary shotgun.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I think Federal says not to use flite control wads in in ported barrels?  The porting affects the performance of the wads.  I have never tested it in my ported vs non-ported barrels to see for myself but if that is still true then for an HD gun or do all gun, I would skip the porting.  Reason being flite control wads are that good so I would not want to diminish the performance of that ammo in my primary shotgun.

If porting diminishes the performance of FC, I really cannot fathom how small the groups would be in an unported barrel given how well my ported VCS barrel groups with FC.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#15]
We have a few Scattergun Tech (pre Wilson) 870s at the PD. They all got the Vang barrel treatment minus ports a long time ago. Oddly enough, they dont shoot the Flite Control worth a damn. Patterns with those guns are easily twice to three times larger than normal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We have a few Scattergun Tech (pre Wilson) 870s at the PD. They all got the Vang barrel treatment minus ports a long time ago. Oddly enough, they dont shoot the Flite Control worth a damn. Patterns with those guns are easily twice to three times larger than normal.

Hmm.  That is odd.

I get the same groups out of vang'd 590, bone stock 1300....hell even my chinese 20" coach gun patterns crazy small with the FC loads
0"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top