Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/5/2005 11:33:23 AM EDT
Just wondering if I was the only one. Figured it may lead to a good discussion. I know that the jackets are not in any way on the same hardness level as barrel steel, but I still don't know if I like the idea of getting out steel jacket fouling out of a steel barrel (if it was chrome I wouldn't mind so much)
What is the best non destructive bore solvent to get the jacket material out? I don't fancy using chemicals that damage the bore if left for a certain period of time, I like my nitro solvent and hoppes #9 that I can leave in all day if I want. Any experience or input is appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:49:57 PM EDT
Steel on steel fouling is quite different than copper on steel.

Ordinary solvents and bronze bore brushes will remove the harmful powder and carbon fouling, and the brushing will usually remove whatever steel fouling is present.

What you have here is a small amount of steel coating over a steel base, usually confined to the rear 1/3 of the bore.

As long as the steel is prevented from rusting, and the normal brushing prevents buildup, there are no real issues.

If you feel uncomfortable with normal cleaning, buy some J B Bore Paste from Brownell's.
This is a paste that cleans all metal fouling out of a bore, down to the base steel.

I don't recommend using this EVERY time you clean, but as an occasional assist to normal cleaning, it's just great.

Bottom line: Steel ammo fouling is not really an issue, as long as you keep the low-carbon soft steel from rusting and causing the bore to rust or pit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:02:10 PM EDT
What the heck kind of ammo are you shooting?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:36:28 AM EDT
Surplus Czech (I believe) heavy ball 8X57mm mauser. IT's not cupro nickel either, it's steel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:28:25 AM EDT
Is this the stuff that is steel cased and on stripper clips?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:35:06 AM EDT
I've never heard of "steel fouling", AKs regularly fire steel jacketed ammo. It's copper washed though.
Top Top