Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 7:21:49 PM EDT
Had the idea to try doing engraving by hand.  Shouldn't be too hard to do letters on aluminum "non-anodized".  Anybody ever done it and have any tips to give.  What tools to use?

Plan i have come up with is to put masking tape in the place of the engraving that has the name and address etc., and transfer that to the reveiver by going over it carefully with an exacto knife.  then remove masking tape and finish off the engraving with some hand tool like a fine precision file or something like that.

worse can scenario is that it looks like crap and i just fill it in and cerakote the thing, since i will be doing that anyway.

reason i ask is that i cant seem to find anyone local that can/will do it and i am not gonna send it off in the mail.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've tried, but I don't have the skill for it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I used my handy Brother P-touch label maker and made labels.  Then I engraved through the label.  Doubting it was clear enough or deep enough, I then used a sharp automatic center punch and dot-matrixed over the engraving. I covered it up with black Sharpie.   It turned out pretty good and is definately deep enough.  I did a steel shotgun barrel and two lowers.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I was going to do my SBR but after practicing on
a lot of aluminum pieces with different methods
I knew I would need to send it off and get it done.
I am not sorry I spent the money.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
check with local jewelery stores, i have had good  luck with them, and always pick the better half something out while there and that means its easier to break the news of a new toy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a trophy shop engrave a Glock slide once. Came out decent and straight enough. Not sure how deep it is, though. Was not expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top