Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2001 12:39:59 PM EDT
Hi guys, frequent reader, new poster here. I am well versed on the different types of hard and soft cases out there; I have pretty much decided on getting a lockable hard case, probably a Starlight (after MUCH research-these bulletin boards are addictive!)

What I really want to know is if anybody actually STORES their rifle in such a hard case (any brand, with either open-cell or closed-cell foam) and their results; i.e. rust, no rust, problems, no problems, etc. The maker of the Starlight says that since the case is waterproof and airtight, that moisture will not be a problem - although he did recommend throwing in a couple of Desi-paks just in case. Does this sound about right? (Incidentally, Brack Wilson at Starlight is a VERY friendly and helpful gent) Basically, my only concern with storage in one of these cases is possible corrosion.

These are the reasons I am considering the Starlight 1) under $200, 2) lockable from curious fingertips (both big and small), 3) firearm protection during AND after transport (i.e. storage) 4) lifetime warranty / reputable vendor.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance for replying!
-g.i.m.s.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I like both Starlight and Pelican. Actually, I like Pelican a little better, but that's personal opinion. Either is fine.
Yes, you can safely store your rifle in either one, but the dessicant is a great idea whichever you choose.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I store all my better grade rifles in hard cases. Most are the cheap WalMart type just to protect from dings and dents. These ofcourse aren't much protection from, as you said curious fingers but they are in a safe anyway. Also have a couple of Airglide cases from Plano. They are ailines approved for travel but they take up a lot more room. Don't know that they give any better protection. The desi pacs are a good idea but I just check and oil mine every once in a while.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You can store your guns in a hard case if you use extra precautions against moisture.  I have found that soft cases breath better thus reducing the amount of moisture buildup but security is non-existant.

If money is not too big of an option, get a Stack-On or Sentry safe.  Much better security, can be bolted to the floor or wall, has much stronger locks and you can put a dehumidifying light in them.  Price will range from $100-$500 depending on the model you choose.  These are  not great safes but they are much better than a hard case for the above reasons.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I also use a Pelican case for my better rifles.  The use of desicant is a must (I use the 4 oz bags available from cheaperthandirt), and I keep a humidity card in the case to alert me to when the humidity rises, indicating that the desicant needs to be recycled in the oven.  The cards I purchased from Brownells.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Alot of it probably depends on the humidity of where you are. I had an air gun in a soft case last summer, and when I took it out in July, I found rust forming on the barrel. Luckily I was able to get it off with oil and a rag. Some sort of de-humidity agent would be a good idea no matter what.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I keep my Bushmaster in the plastic case it came in (no more room on the gunrack).  I've had no problems, unless you count the foam getting stained a bit with oil.  I live in Georgia where the humidity is so high you have to know how to swim just to walk down the street, so I guess I'm paranoid about rust.  I tend to over-oil my guns.  Of course, I keep them inside, so the humidity is not as bad.  Thank God for air conditioning.

I usually can't stay away from the range long enough to worry about corrosion, though.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
It's always best to allow air to move around and through your guns. locking a gun up tight in a case traps moisture and condensation. I always left my cases cracked open and my zippered cases unzipped halfway down. Also a product called CorrosionX is a good product to use when storing your guns, Their advertisement states Professional Hunters in Alaska use it. I use it and won't use anything else, it's not cheapy, but it's the best www.corrosionx.com
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's always best to allow air to move around and through your guns. locking a gun up tight in a case traps moisture and condensation. I always left my cases cracked open and my zippered cases unzipped halfway down. Also a product called CorrosionX is a good product to use when storing your guns.

I keep my nicer guns in soft padded fabric sleeves, but this is more to prevent bumps, dings, and dust than to prevent corrosion.  If you're worried about rust, try a good coat of Johnson's paste wax on the metal.  It's about the best thing you can use for medium-to-long term storage.

If you keep your guns in a fairly well ventilated (i.e. not in an airtight case), air conditioned environment (i.e. inside the house), you will probably never have problems with rust unless you live in a humid or salty location.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top