Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2015 3:14:38 AM EDT
I already have the 9mm Octane and was planning on getting an Octane 45 to keep it company. Now that the new K 45 is out.....what's the negative of it? It seems to suppress about the same while being lighter and shorter, which I really like. So what would I be losing by going with the K over the original Octane 45?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:35:06 AM EDT
Yeah, its not going to suppress as well.  I dont recall what they are advertising for decibel reduction, but its going to be louder, no matter what.  

Thats the tradeoff you always have with a K can.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:19:30 AM EDT
I'd buy the Griffin Revolution or Osprey k over the Octane.  I've never understood the appeal of the Octane.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:28:26 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd buy the Griffin Revolution or Osprey k over the Octane.  I've never understood the appeal of the Octane.
View Quote

User serviceable

Stainless Steel internals

Quiet

What's not to love?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:51:11 AM EDT
Quoted:

User serviceable

Quiet

What's not to love?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

User serviceable

Quiet

What's not to love?

Some people will recommend a 762 can over 556 for first rifle can as well, I'm not one to advocate that if you shoot 90%+ 5.56, I believe right tool for right job.

Unless you shoot lead bullets or own a full auto MP5, I honestly do not see the point of an Octane over Osprey.

Osprey is shorter, lighter, at least as quiet (recent video done by silencershop with octane & osprey shot on same day, same shooter, same ammo, same host had the Osprey 9 smoking the Octane 9 in sound) & user servicable is a moot point with the large internal volume of the Osprey.  Shooting standard range & duty ammo Silencerco states it takes 10s of thousands of rounds to shoot enough to have any degradation in sound suppression and you can still clean the Osprey if you wanted by soaking it or you could send it to Silencerco to have it cleaned with their amazing CS.  Standard sights like Trijicon HD's are easier to use with the Osprey vs. Octane (or virtually all other pistol cans, if the can does come loose you will easily notice with the Osprey (not so much with other cans).  Also keep in mind the Osprey can be rebuilt with virtually any baffle strike due to only the small piece surrounding the booster being the serialized part.  

So IMO, Osprey is a better PISTOL can than the Octane and the Revolution is a better VERSATILE can than the Octane, hence why I don't understand the Octane's popularity.  But like I said, I'm not the kind to throw a giant 762 can on a 556 or have my hosts share cans, so maybe it's me....
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:09:05 AM EDT
Quoted:

(recent video done by silencershop with octane & osprey shot on same day, same shooter, same ammo, same host had the Osprey 9 smoking the Octane 9 in sound)
View Quote

Do you have a link for that?
I can't find it on their website.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:30:00 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(recent video done by silencershop with octane & osprey shot on same day, same shooter, same ammo, same host had the Osprey 9 smoking the Octane 9 in sound)

http://youtu.be/Im1vORB_whM

Above video is both Octanes with Octane 9mm going first

Average Db reduction 31.4, average Db 125.4, shooter's ear Db 133.0

http://youtu.be/HZmq0VilOwo

Above is Osprey 9mm

Average Db reduction 34.6, average Db 122.2, ahooter's ear Db 128.8

This leads me to another strength of the Osprey I forgot to mention, less blowback, as has been reported by numerous shooter's gas tends to exit the front of the can on the Osprey vs. Other cans, this is evidenced by an extra 1 Db reduction at shooter's ear.  You can argue 1-2 Dbs are pretty close, 3-4 Dbs is significant IMO.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:33:55 AM EDT
132.0 vs 139.8 seems like a lot to me and not quite "the same".

If I wanted a "K" can, it would be a short 9mm not a .45.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:37:28 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

100% completely agree with this, K can in 9mm over k can in .45.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:03:38 AM EDT
In.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:33:45 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

Could you explain your reasoning, please.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:50:22 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he plans on suppressing a 9mm which would sound better in a 9mm K can vs a 45 k can.

I tend to agree.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:13:04 PM EDT

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unsuppressed 9mm is generally around 159 dB, .45 is around 162 dB - so there's 3 dB difference right there.

I also have more compact 9mm hosts than I do compact .45 hosts.

Having a smaller exit aperture makes a can quieter (see Silencer Shop's tests on Octane 45K with .45 endcap and 9mm endcap)

I plink or shoot casual IDPA - don't really need a .45 for that.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:24:30 PM EDT
Quoted:

Unsuppressed 9mm is generally around 159 dB, .45 is around 162 dB - so there's 3 dB difference right there.
Having a smaller exit aperture makes a can quieter (see Silencer Shop's tests on Octane 45K with .45 endcap and 9mm endcap)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the video that prompted this question. The Octane 45 and the K 45 weren't very much different on the 9mm host.

And I don't yet own a 45 host but do have a few 9mm hosts, but for the purpose of diversity and covering my bases I wanted a 45 suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:24:50 AM EDT
To comment on the "It will be louder" thing.

From SiCo test with 9mm host

Octane 9:  123.5 at muzzle 132.2 at ear

Octane 45: 128.3 at muzzle 130.4 at ear
Octane 45 K : 128.7 at muzzle  127.6 at ear

Octane 45 with 9mm end cap:  124.3 at muzzle 129.6 at ear
Octane 45 K with 9mm end cap:  126.6 at muzzle 128.3 at ear

Doesn't seem like it's louder according to this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:04:50 AM EDT
Where are all the Sparrow haters?  No one is mentioning that FRP is like 10db higher on a .45 can.

I'm waiting for a 9k too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:51:35 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

It will be.  If you hear them side by side in person you'll notice a difference.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:44:03 AM EDT
Quoted:

It will be.  If you hear them side by side in person you'll notice a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I do wish I could hear it in person but that's not really an option. So these numbers are all I have. But to have an average of 4db at the ear between the octane 9 and the octane 45k with 9 end cap.....that seems pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:35:32 PM EDT
Quoted:

Yeah I do wish I could hear it in person but that's not really an option. So these numbers are all I have. But to have an average of 4db at the ear between the octane 9 and the octane 45k with 9 end cap.....that seems pretty damn good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to have a better understanding of the science behind those numbers, do they have any theories?  The octane 9 is the quietest (by a bit) at the muzzle but loudest at the ear. Sounds like blowback is the culprit then?  And then I'm wondering how much your host choice plays into that as far as delay in opening the breech, ya know?  Those numbers just scream that there is another factor involved here that they aren't covering. Would a heavier recoil spring in the host affect that?  Would a slower slide velocity from weight help?  

All these numbers did for me was leave me with more questions. Though I guess if your host is the same as their test host, then you DO know which will be quietest for you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:57:13 PM EDT
Quoted:

I would love to have a better understanding of the science behind those numbers, do they have any theories?  The octane 9 is the quietest (by a bit) at the muzzle but loudest at the ear. Sounds like blowback is the culprit then?  And then I'm wondering how much your host choice plays into that as far as delay in opening the breech, ya know?  Those numbers just scream that there is another factor involved here that they aren't covering. Would a heavier recoil spring in the host affect that?  Would a slower slide velocity from weight help?  

All these numbers did for me was leave me with more questions. Though I guess if your host is the same as their test host, then you DO know which will be quietest for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DB's are not the only way we perceive sound.  Other factors like frequency of the sound waves matter too.  I've heard cans shot side by side (same host, same ammo) in person where one can clearly wins the DB rating but definitely sounds louder than a can that did not meter as well.

Unfortunately there is no good way to objectively quantify the perceived sound of one can vs another with the tests currently available.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:17:55 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are all very valid questions that I am nowhere near experienced enough to answer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:23:12 PM EDT
Until the 9mm end caps are sold its just a tease.. So basing numbers on it is kinda bs ..
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:09:43 PM EDT
Quoted:
Until the 9mm end caps are sold its just a tease.. So basing numbers on it is kinda bs ..
View Quote

Yep.  

I'd like a 9mm K can.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:16:42 PM EDT
Quoted:

Yep.  

I'd like a 9mm K can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  

I'd like a 9mm K can.

Either way, I need a 45 can, just have to decide which one. Might be leaning towards the full size now for effectiveness.
Top Top