Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/2/2010 9:16:05 PM EDT
Any problems you can think of shooting slugs through a full choke?

I'm not taking a steady diet (as if anyone could afford that). Just a few rounds to zero it in, and then as needed in the field.

If it is a problem, would sabot rounds be less of a problem, as you'd have the plastic sabot that would be squeezed down by the choke and not a lead slug.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:22:07 PM EDT
Probably too tight. Mod choke is the tightest one should go.

Sabot chokes are for rifled barrels.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:31:33 PM EDT
I've heard that too. Why are sabots less accurate from a smoothbore than full size slugs? Either way you're not spinning the bullet, are you? I always thought that the "rifled" slug was a gymick, as it's not really spining in the barrel is it?

If neither slugs or sabots have a spin then why not shoot them from a smooth bore, and then the higher velocity and better BC that a fat, high drag 12 ga slug?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:38:39 PM EDT
As Gravity said. Modified is as tight as you should go with a slug. In fact, modified is the best choke to shoot slugs from a smooth bore barrel as it stablizes the slug. Full is designed to squezee down a load of shot to the tightest group as it leaves the muzzle which keeps it tight for a longer distance. It was never intended for slugs. Full is just to tight and can deform the slug also. I can remmember back to Pumkin Balls and rifled slugs were just getting popular. That is pretty old school and there may very well be some slugs made these days that are fine to shoot from full choke and I just don't know about them. Really don't need to either as I change barrels to fit the type of shooting I want to do. I also remember asking my Dad why his double barrel had to different chokes and he said one is for shot and one for slugs. For upland or small game the two chokes are for the shooter to decide which barrel to use based on the distance he is shooting and the pattern he wants as he is shooting shot, but to dad, that modified choke was for deer slugs and that full was for buckshot and that is how he loaded his SXS when deer hunting.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:16:05 PM EDT
Slugs from a full choke will more than likely bulge the barrel, especially in older guns.

Go into a pawn shop with old ratty shotguns and you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:01:20 AM EDT
Modern shotguns with full chokes will usually take the soft lead slugs with no problem. The "Foster-type" lead slug has what looks like raised rifling down the sides and this is part that is designed to crush down through the barrel choke or choke tube. Older shotguns with thinner mild-steel barrels were more prone to damage from higher pressure shotshells or slugs as the ammunition specs back then were often vague. Sabot slugs are solid projectiles meant for use in rifled barrel shotguns and will indicate this on the box as most soft lead slugs often have "Safe to use in all chokes" on the label.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:35:08 PM EDT
ronswin is on the money.
Foster type slugs are safe to use in any choked modern shotgun barrel.
Older thin wall side by sides and single shots can split when using high pressure slug loads unless the choke boring has been cut off and then the guns aren''t very accurate because of regulation issues unless you just fire the slug load from one of the barrels and that basically eliminates any advantage a double gun has over a single shot gun.
Sabot slugs need to be fired from a fully rifles barrel or they will not stabalize and begin to tumble end over end.

Full diameter solid lead slugs such as the Brenneke and Wolf should not be fired through a choke tighter than improved modified because they do not collapse and these designs can bulge the barrel at the muzzle.

The same advice applies to guns using choke tubes.HTH
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:59:50 AM EDT
My dad's old M37 Ithaca has a 30" full choke barrel. He says the Rem. 1 oz. slugs will drop about 2" at 85 yds. and a group of 3 is inside one of those little paper pie plates. He's used it to kill deer since the early 60's after he got rid of his Win. M94 30.30.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:56:26 AM EDT
The only thing I can add is that some sabot slugs are designed to shoot out of a smooth bore barrel, and rifled slugs are designed to be safe to shoot through any reasonable choke even a full choke. That being said just because it's safe to shoot rifled slugs through a full choke doesn't make it a good idea and instead of shooting groups you'll probably get patterns.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:39:42 PM EDT
I wouldn't think it would be a problem with a newer shotgun.

No Sabots in a smoothbore though...Doesn't hurt but won't work worth a flip.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:43:09 PM EDT
Won't hurt them, but won't group.

Sabots do spin. The sabot spins, which makes the bullet spin and stabilize. Full rifled slug guns can be quite accurate shooting sabot slugs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:30:57 PM EDT
Do "rilfed slugs" spin in any way down a smooth barrel?

If not, then what is the rifling pattern on the slug for? Looks?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:35:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1stID:
Do "rilfed slugs" spin in any way down a smooth barrel?

If not, then what is the rifling pattern on the slug for? Looks?

Essentially they are to deform to the choke diameter and prevent any damage from happening to the chokes or the shotguns barrel.

There is very little (or no) surface to grab in a shotguns barrel, so even a slug with rifling wont actually turn. Or at least turn enough to stabilize them, which is why I believe a lot of slugs are heavier on the front so its like a "lob" rather than stabilized projectile.

Only shotgun shells that are meant to be spun, are Sabot slugs out of a rifled shotgun (or rifled choke). They have plastic sabots that bite into the rifling and spin them, so they are more like a normal bullet, but you NEED a rifled choke or a rifled barrel for them to work properly (or they will go all wonky when they leave the barrel, since they are back heavy like normal bullets and will keyhole)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:49:06 PM EDT
The owner's manuals for my Winchester SX2 and 870 make no warning about shooting slugs through chokes.

You'll probably get lousy accuracy with a full choke compared to a cylinder or improved cylinder choke.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:21:35 AM EDT
Your SX series and 870 should be perfectly capable of shooting soft-lead slugs as I have seen several Winchester SX2 and Remington 870 shotguns in 3-gun matches where slugs are used in many stages. Your accuracy will be totally dependant upon ammunition and the shotgun used with experimentation/ range time being the best guide. I have a friend with a factory full-choke Saiga-12 that will group Remington one ounce Sluggers in three inches at 75 yards from a bench. Quite unexpected from a relatively cheap Russian shotgun.
Top Top