Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2004 8:16:52 AM EST
Southern Ohio Gun has advertised the Beretta 1201 FP shotgun for around $540. It has an 18" barrel and a 6+1 capacity tube.

I've heard that these shotguns are comparable to the Beneli M1 guns.

Can anyone comment on the quality of these shotguns?

I think that one of these with a full lenght pistol grip stock would be a compact home defense shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:54:03 AM EST
I have a 1201FP, though mine didn't come from SOG, and it has rifle sights. I used it this weekend at the BRD and it works just as well as my Benelli M1S90. That shouldn't be too suprising, as they're basically the same action, and built in the same factory. The only 'real' difference is in where the bolt latch control is.

I used it in the three gun and had NO problems hitting anything I wanted. It's an accurate gun. A couple other people borrowed it for the three-gun as well and even though they never shot an auto (let alone a Beretta), they worked it fine with no issues at all. It's an easy gun to use, and an easy gun to like using.

Later that day several of us shot reduced recoil loads out of it with no problems either. This was after all the competition was done, and the shotgun was dirty. With the reduced recoil rounds, it was VERY fast on target. During the three-gun I had three rounds of buckshot (full-house loads) left when I got to the slug portion. I just shot off the three rounds into the berm as fast as I could pull the trigger. I figured that was the quickest way of unloding it, and I was right. That thing can crank out rounds quick.

It's a light shotgun as well. The receiver is alloy, and it's recoil operated, so there's no gas system to weigh it down. As for quality, it's one of those guns that you can feel the quality in it when you shoot it.

If you're in Hampton Roads, you're more than welcome to try mine. $540 is a good price for what you're getting from SOG. I paid $500 for mine with rifle sights, and it was LNIB on consignment. The SOG guns have ghost ring sights IIRC, so they're optioned out better for home use. Considering what you're getting, the SOG special is a good deal.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:26:21 PM EST
I don't have one, but have shot one extensively. They are sweet shooting, smooth handling guns. Very nice weapon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:35:13 PM EST
Excellent weapon, but the one I had would stomp my ass every time I pulled the trigger. They are lighter than the Benelli, and perhaps that had something to do with it, or maybe the stock config just is wrong for me...either way, I sold that puppy fast and bought another MiSuper90. I would not buy another for myself, but they are definitely a very high quality gun.
Top Top