Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 1:28:17 AM EDT
Ordering a Dillon 550B this week! Planning on using it immediately for 9mm, 223, and 338 Lapua. Going to get the 45ACP and .308 conversion kits once I accumulate enough brass.

But I'm also interested in reloading 50BMG for my Barrett. Hoping some of you guys have been reloading 50 for a while and can guide me in which direction to go. Presses seem to range from $200 all the way to over a thousand.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If I did I would not stray away from Dillon
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Dillon
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#3]
It's gonna depend on your budget. As you already know, everything about the BMG is bigger. Chances are your trimmer won't work, your powder thrower won't throw the 200-240 grains of powder, your case prep tools (primer pocket tools in particular) won't work... The Dillon is a nice machine, but is going to be a huge investment. My setup is an RCBS Ammomaster (which does double duty as a regular single stage press with optional die bushing), an RCBS powder throw (their magnum model), and an RCBS case trimmer made specifically for the bigger cases.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a zel custom and it doesn't get shot a real lot but I do load for it. I opted for the Lee 50 bmg set up. It is the least expensive of them and works well enough. The press can also be converted to load rifle and handgun rounds very easy and quick. Just put in a bushing for smaller die and unscrew the 50 bmg shell holder and put the one in for standard shell holder.  It comes with priming system for 50 and smaller. Rounds. The only draw back is that the 50 tread pitch is different then rcbs and you can not use rcbs dies / bullet pullet with the Lee press.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Will second the Lee press as an inexpensive expense. Had mine over a year and works well. I only shoot about 50 rounds a year so the Lee fits the bill. RCBS and the rest are twice the price.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I own and load with a Lee press. There are a few inconvenient traits to having compromised on spending the extra money but once you work around them, it is a fully capable and reliable press. Make very sure that it is properly mounted and that you properly lubricate your brass. I use the lanolin(Dillon) spray lube but imperial wax works just as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I have my press on a older franford arsenal pedestal stand and use lots of Lee sizing lube from squeeze tube.  Only thing I have to do is size the cases  a little at a time because if I try and do it all at once I have hard time removing the case from the die.  So I size little then screw die in little deeper then size and then screw in little deeper and size until I do the entire case. It doesn't take as long as it sounds but makes sizing such a large case almost easy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]
lee works ok,  50 is like loading a whole new animal. If you want to find out what a good case lube is start loading for the 50. I use imperial.  Case chamfer tool is 50 specific go look at the other 50 case specific tools.  But the lee will load the 50 if care is given to case lube because of its size and friction.I read that early lee presses broke linkages, I also heard those folks were taken care of. Ive not had a problem but only about 100 rnds loaded. Take a look at what 225gr -250 gr of h-50 looks like in your powder pan. When my previous largest load was ballpark 70 something for 7 rem mag it was a sizable jump.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Another Lee Press reloader here.  It's an awesome press for the money, plus it's compatible with my Hornady LNL bushings.  There's a trick to use collar stops for priming that makes it even better!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Hornaday Single Stage 50 BMG press here.  Works great, but I got it used in the trading post for 40% of new cost.  Couldn't pass it up.  Included dies.  More expensive than Lee.  I like the Hornaday dies better.  The 50 BMG Cast Press is a decent press.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This - get the Dillon BFR - hands down.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:40:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be an easy choice if it wasn't 8-9 times the cost of the Lee. No idea why they charge $1000+ for the press... and that's without their $800+ dies lol.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It would be an easy choice if it wasn't 8-9 times the cost of the Lee. No idea why they charge $1000+ for the press... and that's without their $800+ dies lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were feeding an M2 or reloading for profit, it makes sense. But to churn out 1-200 rounds a year, it's way overkill.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#14]
The lee has been working great so far and its a secound press to help load things when testing and such. I have the 300 blk out sizing die on a rcbs and the seater on the lee till i find the combo i like then might move them to the 650. Either way its a good press for the 50
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I am using an old RCBS Ammomaster and CH4D dies.

For blasting ammo I use LC brass and cheap bullets.  For my bolt gun I use IMI brass and solids.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:50:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone that says Dillon is just a mindless blue sucker spouting nonsense. Keep in mind I have 2 1050s.  

For the 50 BMG the lee works perfect and you saves over $2,000 compared with the Dillon. You will need this extra money as reloading at 200gr of powder, $.25 primers and $.50 to $2.00 per bullet starts to eat into your budget quickly. If you did want to spend a little extra the Hornady/RCBS press does nicely too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone that says Dillon is just a mindless blue sucker spouting nonsense. Keep in mind I have 2 1050s.  

For the 50 BMG the lee works perfect and you saves over $2,000 compared with the Dillon. You will need this extra money as reloading at 200gr of powder, $.25 primers and $.50 to $2.00 per bullet starts to eat into your budget quickly. If you did want to spend a little extra the Hornady/RCBS press does nicely too.
View Quote

Yeah, definitely! I'm a firm advocate for Dillon but the BFR is ridiculously overpriced.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a Lee single stage to reload .50BMG. Works great.

You WILL break things if the case gets stuck during resizing, and you try to force it with the press handle. Keep a 3 lb hammer on your bench, and use it to tap out stuck cases.

I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax, and nothing else. I had too many stuck cases using other lubricants.

Machine-gun shot brass is a pain to resize. But worth the cost savings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I have loaded over 600 rounds in my Lee using LC brass. Never had a stuck case with RCBS spray lube. http://www.cabelas.com/product/RCBS-reg-Case-Slick-Spray-Lube-oz-bottle/1156619.uts?productVariantId=1325680&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=45-74965926-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=22578093&rid=20
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#20]
What bullets and powder do you guys use for components? I'm having a hard time locating "affordable" bullets that would actually cost less than buying Federal 660 gr FMJ XM33 at under $2.40 a shot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What bullets and powder do you guys use for components? I'm having a hard time locating "affordable" bullets that would actually cost less than buying Federal 660 gr FMJ XM33 at under $2.40 a shot.
View Quote

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/bulk-new-50-bmg-647-grain-pull-down-bullets-50-rounds?a=1723161
Just have to watch for sales, know sites that sell components to watch. Just do a google search for 50bmg bullets and check the links. I got my AP bullets from http://www.50bmgsupply.com . Check the EE section for folks getting out of 50 bmg. Always look for deals or you will go broke. Am down to around $1.50 a round now. Just posted my upper for sale so if that goes, will be posting brass and bullets for sale. Hate to get out of it but the back surgery I had done isn't panning out for the better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/bulk-new-50-bmg-647-grain-pull-down-bullets-50-rounds?a=1723161
Just have to watch for sales, know sites that sell components to watch. Just do a google search for 50bmg bullets and check the links. I got my AP bullets from http://www.50bmgsupply.com . Check the EE section for folks getting out of 50 bmg. Always look for deals or you will go broke. Am down to around $1.50 a round now. Just posted my upper for sale so if that goes, will be posting brass and bullets for sale. Hate to get out of it but the back surgery I had done isn't panning out for the better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true, when u see the deal buy alot. I bought powder from widners way back, bullets from hitech when he had them, primers from a local store and all my brass is from good ammo deals i ran across. It seems like 200-220 is the spot for almost any 50 powder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top