Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 12:58:44 AM EDT
Have been training quite a bit with a group of people and was wanting to find some decent smoke grenades for the 'break contact' type of drills.

Was curious if any of the airsoft/paintball or marine rescue 'grenades' are any good and would realistically work if employed, or are they more of an overpriced firework? I saw some that claim 70,000 cft of volume within 90 seconds; anyone know if that is sufficient/good volume and if their claims are even close to actual performance?

No financial interest, was looking at any of these. The good news is they aern't too expensive so I can try them out, but didn't want to buy a bunch and have them completely suck.

Airsoft Grenade

These say 70k but are a bit more pricey

Or should I attempt to make my own and not burn the house down in the process?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for responses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used the orange lifeboat smoke grenades during paintball events and they work well.

http://gunshowgoods.com/zencart/smoke-grenades-c-41/orange-lifeboat-smoke-grenades-p-160?zenid=uravh539kf69d8detai5ac1t54

ETA-Looks like they are sold out at the link I provided but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#3]
In the past I have used a few of these, but they were labeled LE only. The things created a ridiculous amount of smoke and kept burning way beyond the claimed burn time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Skydiving ones are another you can look at as another possibility.

Just don't use any kind of smoke anywhere other than on a large piece of private property.  Police and the fire department will likely get called.  I'd also recommend against using them in national parks or wilderness areas since they are sometimes used as a form of emergency signaling.  Also be mindful of wildfire conditions as they can start fires if everything is dry as a bone.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skydiving ones are another you can look at as another possibility.  

Just don't use any kind of smoke anywhere other than on a large piece of private property.  Police and the fire department will likely get called.  I'd also recommend against using them in national parks or wilderness areas since they are sometimes used as a form of emergency signaling.  Also be mindful of wildfire conditions as they can start fires if everything is dry as a bone.  

View Quote

Agreed. I used two of the Superior Signal LE smokes on skydives to evaluate them for use on exhibition jumps. I concluded it would be a really bad idea because of the long burn time and huge volume of smoke. On both jumps the smoke was still going well after I landed and it seemed obvious to me that they are not a good idea for use anywhere near crowds because of the potential distress they could anyone with respiratory problems to have.

Typical skydiving smoke grenades have a burn time of under a minute in my experience and the smoke density is nowhere near that of the LE smoke.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The first one you linked I have used most of theirs.  I was actually a little impressed.  The burst ones expel smoke from both ends very quickly.  I order from Here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#7]
What is the tactical application of smoke?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:48:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

In a nutshell signaling and concealment
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

As far as concealment, its employed mainly when you want to break contact and either need to conceal your egress route while leapfrogging your suppression guy(s) and also to put as much of a damper on the other sides attempt at fire/movement tactics against you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top