Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2009 2:09:17 AM EDT

Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I've read that he used a 1917, and the Gary Cooper movie was filmed using a 1903. I also read that he used a 1911 as the handgun, and not a Luger as in the movie. The Luger being used because it would function with blanks.

No proof either way, but I think the above is the general concencus.
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
This one is still going round and round.  York's division was issued 1917's.  York's brother insisted he used a 1903 because he liked he sights better.  I don't recall York himself ever saying one way or the other.  There was some intermingling of 17's and 03's; usually guys being issued 17's swapping for 03's.
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, American Rifleman had an article about York last year.  Talked about how his unit was issued M1917s.  An issue or two later there was a letter from a man whos father was in Yorks unit and "liberated" a Springfield from a bunch of cooks a few days before York earned his fame.  IIRC, the man who had the Springfield didn't go into action that day and may have loaned it to York.
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
So far the only sources for him using a 1903 are second hand and years after York's death.  I'm more inclined to believe the M1917 rifle sitting at MTSU here in TN is the actual rifle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#5]
US Army Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning  has a M17 displayed as the type he used.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 5:25:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm fairly sure his son mentioned that Alvin couldn't stand the peep sight on the 1917
and traded for a 1903.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've read that he used a 1917, and the Gary Cooper movie was filmed using a 1903. I also read that he used a 1911 as the handgun, and not a Luger as in the movie. The Luger being used because it would function with blanks.

No proof either way, but I think the above is the general concencus.

A character in the movie quoted a newspaper article saying it was an "Enfield rifle", presumably a 1917, though the rifles used in the movie were indeed 1903's, for whatever that's worth.   Watched it yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, I guess we may never know for sure. Some part of me has always felt it was the 1917 for some reason though,
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Watch the movie: "Flags of our Fathers" directed by Clint Eastwood.  Shows you that facts about the world wars were distorted for political reasons back then.

There is evidence that he used a P-17 because his unit was issued that rifle.

Why would people suggest he used a Springfield? Because, the P-17 is an "Enfield" designed gun (even if it is made in the US and chambered for our 30-06 ammo) and some people percieve the Enfield as "not as American" as a Springfield.  

However, I believe the US/Springfield had to pay royalties to one German Mauser company for use of their patented designs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:01:04 AM EDT
[#10]
And you can damn well bet he shot all his ammo and grabed any handgun he could find,and the dead germans had some
for him.  I would bet he grabed a few Kar 98's and used some German Machine guns on them as well!

War is Hell!   But Alvin was geared for it,just like Audie !

Bob
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The truth will never be known.

Tha American Rifleman had an article on it a while back. Itwas inconclusive.
The prevailing thought is the rifle was an M1917 but York never really said what he used. He did prefer the Springfield so its probable he used one.
He did use an M1911 in the final shoot out. Somewhere the serial number of that 1911 is recorded.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The truth will never be known.

Tha American Rifleman had an article on it a while back. Itwas inconclusive.
The prevailing thought is the rifle was an M1917 but York never really said what he used. He did prefer the Springfield so its probable he used one.
He did use an M1911 in the final shoot out. Somewhere the serial number of that 1911 is recorded.

+1

All we know for certain is his unit was issued M1917s.

Now, obtaining a 1903 in the field would not have been that hard to do, and most of those old time shooters really preferred ladder sights over an aperture, so it's reasonable that he could have aquired a Springfield.  Truth is we'll probably never know.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]
The 82nd has him on display with pictures showing him holding a M1917 here at Ft Bragg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top