Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2007 7:58:33 AM EDT
Seems a good price for a 30mm tube scope with the Leupold name.  Only difference on the surface is 1 click = 1cm at 100m vs 1/2" or 1/4" at 100yds.   Just looking for some info to chew on.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#1]
i would like to know also.....i have been looking at them recently.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the 1-4 Euro on my Gubment weight AR.
I really wish they made a 1.75-6x40 with 30mm tube.

Click value is about .40 per...it's not a bench guns so I don't miss the 1/4min. clicks.
Field of view is fine and light gathering is better than my 1" 1-4 leupold shotty scope.

Not sure what the parrellax is set for but it has not gotten the best of me yet.

Pete
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one, more eye relief than some other models. Measurements in metric-other than that good Leupold quality.

ETA I got it <300 because no hunter would but the "European" model
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Love or hate ebay (I generally hate the money hungry, corrupt, stolen merchandise dealer but..........), I just got two of these scopes for $350 each delivered.  I bid $350 each for two scopes on this auction and they took it.  

Link
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:06:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I recall hearing that they use the same internals as the 1" scopes, so don't really have the advantages of a true 30mm scope.

Actually, I did a bit of a quick search, and came up with this:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1126&KW=30&PN=0&TPN=2

30mm scopes were first made in Europe years and years ago for two reasons.

1. Everything was done by hand and a large tube was needed to be able to build the scope.
2. They are on the metric system.

When we started building scopes in the U.S. technology had advanced some and being on the Standard system we built our scopes with 1" tubes.

The German scopes were and are superior because they use better glass, better coatings and better craftsmanship. Most people assume that bigger is better and that must be the reason why German 30mm scopes are brighter. It did not take long for U.S. and Asian scope makers to catch on to this and start offering 30mm scopes. It worked for a while but more and more people are learning the truth with the advent of the Internet. When Leupold first offered a 30mm tube in a hunting scope, they named it the Euro. 30. A competitor dissected one and said, B.S. that scope has 1" guts with a 30mm tube. Leupold's spin doctors quickly changed the name of the new 30mm line of scopes to LR or Long Range and released press releases stating that this new line of scopes has 1" internals with a 30mm tube to allow for more elevation adjustments.

Bottom line is 30mm scopes are 30mm because of the Metric system, they can be brighter than a 1" scope with all other things being equal (# of internal lenses and diameter of objective especially) if the maker takes advantage of the larger internal lenses in a manner that manages the light better (cutting down on distortion and stray light loss).  30mm scopes are also stronger and usually heavier.  Biggest advantage is more internal adjustment travel for long range shooting.

Of course, it is all still hearsay, so YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top