Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 1:16:48 PM EDT
I am seriously considering a case feeder. I am also considering selling my 550 and getting a 650. I think I would like the extra station for say a powder indicator and the auto index would also be nice. Of course the cost of 650 is a bunch more than just putting a feeder on my 550.

My indecision is based partly from the guy I spoke to at Dillon. He said the case feeder on the 550 is kind of an after thought rather than the 650 being desinged for it.

I hope some of you guys with first hand experience can give me some direction on this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am seriously considering a case feeder. I am also considering selling my 550 and getting a 650. I think I would like the extra station for say a powder indicator and the auto index would also be nice. Of course the cost of 650 is a bunch more than just putting a feeder on my 550.

My indecision is based partly from the guy I spoke to at Dillon. He said the case feeder on the 550 is kind of an after thought rather than the 650 being desinged for it.

I hope some of you guys with first hand experience can give me some direction on this.

i suggest asking this question over at brian enos' forum. there's much more dillon traffic there.  when you get an answer let us know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The case feeder for a 550 is for pistol only, meaning will not work for rifle cases.

The 650's case feeder will do both.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my 550 case feeder but like was said above, it only works for pistol brass.  IMO the case feeder is what makes the speed difference between the 550 and 650.  The extra station is cool and auto indexing is nice but not a big speed improvement.  With a case feeder and my 550 I can put out loaded pistol ammo just about as fast as my buddy on his 650 with case feeder.  

If you want to progressively reload lots of rifle brass and do it fast, get a 650 with a case feeder.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I know it is pistol only, just another thing to consider. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to keep the 550 and just add the feeder. Plus I would have to start over on all the tool heads and caliber conversions.

On the other hand the used prices Dillon stuff brings, if I decide to go with the 650, it may not be that bad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same question a couple of years ago when I wanted a casefeeder.  I decided to sell my 550B system (only those parts unique to the 550B) for 80% of the then current 550B price and buy the 650 and casefeeder.  It was a very smart decision because first, I was able to sell my 550B setup for slightly more than I paid for it, and 2nd, the casefeeder is really a time saver when reloading rifle brass like the .223 because you have to run your brass through your machine 2 times, once for case prep and then again to reload.   You are far better selling your current press and getting the 650 setup because the 550B's casefeeder isn't for rifle cases.
My old 550B setup:

My current 650 w/casefeeder:

Whichever way you decide to go, notice in the pictures that I've got some custom modifications to both presses.  For tips on how to do them cheaply yourself, check out this thread for some Cheap / Free Tips and Tricks for both the 550B and Xl650.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Sir, typical Arf.com answer, buy both!  Seriously though I assume your motives are influenced by monetary resources.  I considered buying a case feeder for my 550 but realized that the bulk of the reloading I do is for rifle cartridges.  In my humble opinion the primary advantage of the 650 is the purpose built case feeder that is capable of handling both rifle and pistol cartridges.  Secondary advantages are the addition of the powder check option, low primer alarm, and a more positive feeding primer feed mechanism.  Considering the advantages of the 650 I made the leap and bought one late last year but feel no incentive to sell the 550.  If I had to make the choice again I would do the same.  I've loaded both .45 ACP and .223 Rem. on the 650 and given some of the improvements CoSteve has provided the machine is a pleasure to use.  HTH, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
7zero1 hit it right on the head.  If you can swing the coin, the 650 w/casefeeder is the ooooooooooonnnnnnnllly way to fly (unless you're rich and can afford a 1050!).
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
7zero1 hit it right on the head.  If you can swing the coin, the 650 w/casefeeder is the ooooooooooonnnnnnnllly way to fly (unless you're rich and can afford a 1050!).

No 1050 for me. I decided to put my 550 up for sale with all the toolheads etc and see how it goes. I guess what I'm saying is if I sell it, I would prefer to sell it as one and not fool around and part it out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No 1050 for me.

I decided to put my 550 up for sale with all the toolheads etc and see how it goes. I guess what I'm saying is if I sell it, I would prefer to sell it as one and not fool around and part it out.

That's what I did.  Take a few pictures of only those items you are selling (avoids any confusion about what they are buying), show them the new Dillon price for the items and then quote them your price.  That way they both see the hardware and see the savings over new.  I got lucky and sold mine on Glocktalk in 2 minutes so post your add not only here but on other sites you visit.

ETA:  The price difference may not be as bad as you think.  Even though the toolheads and quick change kits are different, your dies, powder measures, toolhead stands, aluminum handle, etc. can be reused on your 650. If you have a strong mount, I'd suggest selling it with the 550B and getting the dedicated 650 strong mount because it's a bit lower.

In addition, the 550B's casefeeder is $240 + you have to buy caliber specific Caliber Conversions for another $21 per caliber because of the extra parts you need on the 550B.  The casefeeder (same one) for the 650 is $210 and the caliber conversion parts for the press (excluding case feed plates) are included in the std 650 Caliber Conversion kits so the price difference between the 550B and 650's caliber conversion kits is really only a dollar.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top